Source for carb repair kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for carb repair kits?

Can anyone refer a source from my '83 GS1100E?

thanks

cycleorings.com, Floatbowl gaskets from Z1 Enterprises. Z1 sells complete kits but 90% of the time all you need is the o-rings. Also, the aftermarket brass jets are considered inferior to the stock stuff by some people.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Are you looking for carb repair kits because something broke, or are you just looking to refresh the carbs?

If you are just looking to clean and refresh the carbs, you would be far better off getting a can of Berryman's carb cleaner dip for about $20, and a set of o-rings from www.cycleorings.com. The set of o-rings is less than $15. While you are at that site, you would do well to get the intake tube o-rings (<$4) and new stainless bolts to hold the intake boots (<$7). This totals less than $46, and will have everything you need for about the cost of two "repair kits" that will likely contain inferior parts, and not nearly enough o-rings to do the job correctly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I strongly recommend George Fixx for your GS carb rebuilt kits. His
        kits are complete and of the highest quality. He is also fair and friendly
        with the highest integrity. George can be found on Ebay and on this
        GSR website.

Don't waste your time with just buying O-rings kits because it is
        cheap. A carburetor has many intriguite gas and air channels within.
        And it requires cleaning and replacement of the o-rings, gaskets, needle valves, and the adj of the floats. The main and pilot jets are probably
        the ony components you can reuse again and again with minimal or no wear at all. An O-ring kit is insufficient in my opinion. Why people only
        buy this is beyond me ??

Don't buy the cheap Chinese garbage carb kits too. Absolute junk and more headache as China tries to copy Japanese Mikuni's carb parts structure to rebuild them. They either don't fit, is missing parts, and
        again, absolute junk quality !!

Good luck on your carb rebuild. 90% of performance issues are attributed
        to the carbs - at least that is my opinion and is such in my own cases.

KT :-D\\/

Comment

Originally posted by jadesystem View Post
          An O-ring kit is insufficient in my opinion. Why people only buy this is beyond me ?? ... Good luck on your carb rebuild. 90% of performance issues are attributed to the carbs - at least that is my opinion and is such in my own cases.
          ... and 90% of those problems are due to leaking o-rings. :shock:

True, o-rings won't fix bad parts, but the needle jet is the only part that I know of besides the float valve that experiences any possible wear.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Aftermarket carb kits don't have all the o-rings you will need - such as those on the fuel transfer tubes between the carbs. Also, why replace the factory Mikuni jets with knockoff parts?

I'm not against carb kits per say, as long as they are from a reputable company, but they are not necessary and sometimes cause problems. Nothing to gain.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

George Fixx's Carb Kits are complete. It also included the O-rings for
              the two (2) transfer tubes (4 ea.) between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 carbs.

If by chance they don't, and thus a contradiction, you can get these
              metric O-Rings at any good industrial seal company. There is such a company here called Ace Seal in Santa Clara, CA that has all the
              metric and SAE Std seals you could want. And these seals are like
              20-30 cents ea. The'll even give them to you as a free sample to
              avoid the nickel and dime paperwork.

Carbs rebuilding is not mysterious anymore. But are the cause of
              most of the headaches. It is even hard to get the right effective
              formula regarding the dip basket due to strict EPA guidelines. What
              was once effective 5-years ago, is non-effective today. I've never
              tried the Berryman's Dip Basket, but the other stuff is just crap now.
              Expensive Gunk brand at $25/can/basket, but again non-effective.

And taking the carbs in and out of the bike used to be a pain-in-the-
              ass, but I can do it in less than 5 minutes. The trick is lithium grease.
              Apply that on the carb lips, and the inner boots, and presto, it comes
              off and back on like a glove. I can't see anyone not using any type
              grease and your talking pain all day with cut-up fingers.

Anyways, good luck to you guys on your carb kit (or O-Ring) selection
              on whatever route you take.

KT
              San Jose :-D\\/

Comment

Originally posted by jadesystem View Post
                And taking the carbs in and out of the bike used to be a pain-in-the-ass, but I can do it in less than 5 minutes. The trick is lithium grease. Apply that on the carb lips, and the inner boots, and presto, it comes off and back on like a glove. I can't see anyone not using any type grease and your talking pain all day with cut-up fingers.

KT
                San Jose :-D\\/
                I just took the carbs off of my new bike. A 1980 GS550E that has been sitting for the past 10 years and I was able to pull the carbs in about 10 minutes without any grease. And just to see what it would be like to put them back on I put them back on and had no problem putting them back on without grease. And both boots (air cleaner and engine side) are very soft and supple. Just my $.02

Comment

My misnomer - once the carbs are taken off first, than the lithium grease is applied during the reinstallation. It aids in the future removal of the carbs should you have to remove them again.

Comment

Working...
                  X