Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLoat Pin Removal

Hi Guys

What's the best method of extracting the Float pin.

Just picked a set of Carb on ebay. All was ok untill i tried to take the float pin out. Its totally jammed. just too scared to tap that pin - as it usually break if not careful (My old one has one broken tower)

any good suggestions ?

Thanks

This is the tool I made for this job. works like a charm.

Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I used the corner of my wooden workbench to support the float post - as close to the head of the pin as possible. Worked for me.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Use a dowel pin with the same diameter,and then turn the carb on its
        side with the bowls off. Then use the dowel pin as a punch. Use a
        metal base as leverage against the towers so you don't break them
        off durig the impact.

Nemaste !! :-D\\/

Comment

Originally posted by jadesystem View Post
          Use a dowel pin with the same diameter,and then turn the carb on its
          side with the bowls off. Then use the dowel pin as a punch. Use a
          metal base as leverage against the towers so you don't break them
          off durig the impact.

Nemaste !! :-D\\/
          Luckily, my workshop served as a furinture making shop, so I carved some wood to make a nice, somewhat firm support, then used an old drillbit the same size to drive it out. Oh, also, an old wood handle from a chisel, or plastic handle from a screwdriver is much more effective, and potentially less disastrous, than a hammer!!

Comment

need 3 hands

Guess will need about 4 hand --- 1 to hold it 2 to hit it. Just kidding...

Thanks all - will try it tonight. ...else will end up cutting them - really dont want to take a chance

Comment

Had to cut

I tried for two hrs to take that damn pin out. Finally used a had cutter slice of the pins. The float came of. The tappering end of the pin also came of easily. The head side was still stuck. Spent another hr to tap it. once the head was a little out - i pulled it out with the locking pliers with a lot of force.

Guess i ended up with using all the suggestions.

Lets hope the other 3 are not as bad as this one. Will keep you'll posted

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                This is the tool I made for this job. works like a charm.
                That looks good but I can't figure out how you get any leverage on it. Where does the underside of the channel locks go?
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Don't discount a propane/map torch, LIGHTLY applied to the side of the post followed by pb-blaster.
                  DON'T AIM IT AT THE FLOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USE THE SIDE OF THE FLAME.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

me + carb cleaner / gas + torches = boom

glad i didnt have any issues using some wd40 and tapping it with a small nail and hammer.

Comment

Maybe I got lucky, but I just went through all four carbs on my 1982 GS550LZ and to remove (and reinstall) I simply placed the carb body sideways on a padded table, picked out an appropriate size drift and used a rubber mallet to remove them. Reinstallation was the reverse of removal, only with a bigger drift.

A big mistake most folks make when they're trying to drive a pin in or out is they sit there and give it tiny little taps because they're afraid they'll miss the punch or hit their hand or something. Line up your punch/drift, take your hammer and BASH THE CRAP out of the top of the tool like you're trying to drive it through the table, your foot, the floor and foundation all in one go. Really give it the what-for but do it the first (and only) time. All of mine came out with one hit and went back in with one hit. Didn't bend a support post in the process, either. If you sit there and give it teensy little love taps, you're just going to break something or mushroom out the pin head.

Like I said, maybe I was lucky. A block under the support arms is a great idea, though, and something as simple as a piece of wood the right height with a hole drilled in it for the pin to fall in would work wonders.

scurvy
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I broke mine.

I just went through this a few days ago and I ended up breaking off the float arm. Heres the link to the thread. Here is Nessism's reply to me and it work great on the other three carbs. I used an old socket (didn't want to ruin my nice new Craftsman tools).

Comment

If you ever crack or break the mounting, you can repair it with JB Weld.
                          Make a small batch by combining the 2 tubes, then let it harden about
                          20-30-min over two screws so tah they fuse together. Test this by putting the screws with the JB Weld into a small vile of gasoline with
                          a sealing top cover.

See if the JB Weld breaks down. It should not. I've used this before
                          when I broke my float bowl pin mount, and I just repaired it.

For future reference, I would advise to make a small jig that will allow
                          you to set the carb body to seat, and to ease the removal of the float bowl pin. Any wooden piece would work that can deflect the impact
                          of your hammer taps and blows.

Comment

Originally posted by scurvy View Post
                            Maybe I got lucky...
                            While I won't go as far saying "bash the crap... etc" I have to agree with the "one decisive hit" method. Personally, I don't like the sound of using a rubber mallet - sounds like too much weight and not enough control. But if it works...

Maybe I got lucky, too, but my tap-tapping was getting me nowhere. I tried a sharp smack with a light weight metal hammer (actually, I'm embarassed to say it was a 6" crescent wrench) on a drift punch did the trick on all four. I did pad the bench with a thick rag.

I know, I know... ball peen hammers probably come in a variety 3-pack for $1.99 at Harbor Freight. Next carb rebuild.

Comment

2nd one out

Really not sure why these float pins are so tightly fitted as specs.

Anyways, the Carb 3 float pin came off. Had to lightly tap till i could get enough of the pin head out. The vise gripped it with locked pliers and twisted it out. didnt come out in one go but eventually did. Filled the float pin so the things goes in and off easly (for next time).

2 down - 2 to go.

from all these suggestions - lets also add PATIENCE as one more thing to have...

Comment

Working...
                              X