1982 GS1100EZ Welded Crank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100EZ Welded Crank Question

I keep reading that if my GS1100E, was built in late 1982 , that the crank was welded, is there anyway to determine what month in 1982 the bike was built.

If I remember correctly, it's listed on the steering stem along with another copy of your VIN. Mine says 2 / 82 oof! Now, once you find out that your bike was built during the pre-weld years..... do I just inspect the crank to see if it ever got welded?

Comment

Thats a tough call on specific dates. Dig through the search "twisted crank".

Its a start....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The easiest way to tell if your crank is welded is to look at it...

I believe you can see it if you pull the clutch basket out.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

That sucks, its stamped 2/82--more freaking work to do, Hmmm--now what temp welding rod do I use-

Comment

I've read here that they didn't start welding the cranks until the 4th quarter of 82... But many people got them welded after the fact as is was clearly an issue early on.

I've also read that unless you are redlining all the time (over course you never know how the PO rode the bike) you are probably fine .

Crom- I think my bike is your bikes evil twin brother.

Comment

I'll check, the PO, was a crazy guy in his early days, can't say I don't twist the throttle some myself, so ill have to pull the basket and check the crank.--can't see welding the pins as a big deal.

Comment

if you have a large taper alt. rotor crank snout...
                you have a welded crank.
                ive never seen a welded crank in a silver motor from the factory...ever.
                if your gonna remove your non welded crank and take it to a weld shop or buddy to have it welded...
                buy/rent/borrow/steal an index rod...
                it wouldnt suck to weld a twisted crank.
                in my opinion...yes i said my opinion..
                its money well spent to ship/drive it to a crank shop and have them do it.
                you would have that little extra piece of mind knowing someone thats worked with/on hundreds of press pin cranks checked yours out and gave it a good bill of health.
                john pearson is one of the best and located in west alexandria ohio..
                pearson racing is his business.
                937-839-9723
                theres also several other good crank builders located in the US.

Comment

Unless you've gone mad and put on a 1260cc big bore kit and doing 1/4mile drags every day of the week or racing the GS(X) 1100 motor stop fussing.

There's to much fear about an old bike.

My GS(X)1100ESD (look at my avatar) has a welded crank as standard. My GS1000E hasn't. Both are way quick enough even in this day an age.

Suzuki mad

Comment

No fuss, just have access to a welding shop, good winter project---some of us like upgrades, modifications, and actually improving the mechanics of stuff--sorry you disagree, came a long way since 1980----

Comment

Check the number on the engine, not the frame. numbers above 140000 are welded, below that are probably not.
                      JP
                      1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                      1992 Concours
                      2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                      2007 FJR

Comment

I think you can see only one crank pin, if you look in thru the clutch cavity. If I remember right, that one pin isn't welded from the factory, even up thru the GS 1150's. Someone please, correct me, if I'm wrong.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

JPaul--very smart, I remember someone saying the same thing " Its the number stamped on the motor that counts"--thanks a lot--I will check!

Comment

check the motor and it's stamped "153643", so if JPaul is right , this number is above 140000, therfore it should be welded, can anyone firm this up--that would be great!!

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman

When it did go it didn't do any other damage to the head, not sure if its a possibility, it just didn't hurt my engine in any other manner. When it happened the bike started making a strange whirring noise and I could still drive it. Suzuki warrantied it. I doubt they would help you now though.
                              Same here. I had ridden the bike for about 10 minutes at 30mph. Low RPMs, 3rd gear. I was on USMC base and the MPs would get you for speeding. When I got off the base I rolled up 2nd to about 5k and when I shifted to 3rd she let go. I pulled over and it idled fine. The nearest Suzuki shop was about 15 miles away so I rode it there very slowly. Took the lone mechanic 3 days to get word back on what happened. When he called and told me I was floored. Took him a month to get a new crank and R & R it.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X