Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Sender

Hey all,

My speedo stopped working recently, and when I changed my tires at my friend's shop last week I determined that the speedo moves when I move the cable, but the cable connection on the sender does not move when I rotate the "ears" on the sender.

So, seems like a sender failure.

I had to ride to work the next morning, so didn't take the time to take the sender apart. Does anyone know from experience that this failure is permanent (stripped gears) or if a clean/lube might fix it. I've read about this simple rebuild helping inaccurate speedos, but nothing about units that were not reading any speed at all.

No biggie, but if you know it'll save me taking the wheel off an extra time.

I believe there's a snap ring that holds the gears into the housing. Take a look on the wheel side
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have had one completely apart because it failed, but my failure was in the ears. They had gotten bent sideways because someone did not pay attention to their alignment when putting the wheel back on.

Had a request several months ago for some of the other parts and sold them, but have the rest of it at home. Unfortunately, I am not there now, and will not be back until just before Christmas, so I can't tell you what all I have left. I think what I sold was the driven gear that has the tab that the cable slips over, and I have the rest of it available.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
        Hey all,

My speedo stopped working recently, and when I changed my tires at my friend's shop last week I determined that the speedo moves when I move the cable, but the cable connection on the sender does not move when I rotate the "ears" on the sender.

I had to ride to work the next morning, so didn't take the time to take the sender apart. Does anyone know from experience that this failure is permanent (stripped gears) or if a clean/lube might fix it. I've read about this simple rebuild helping inaccurate speedos, but nothing about units that were not reading any speed at all.

Check the price for a new one at Bike Bandit specific for your bike. If money isn't an issue I think they are under $50 delivered? I took mine apart before it failed but a little noisy, cleaned the dried grease and put in new lube = no issues for 3 years. So that is the only maintenance you needed. It's a simple worm gear system but it will wear out the other parts with no lube over time. I don't think the internal parts are available other than Steve's generous offer?

I put yellow paint dots on my tach at 50,55,60 mph equivalents for those occasions when the speedo is wrong to avoid tickets. You can follow a friend in a car to find the right rpms if need be now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
          Hey all,

if you need a speedo drive..
          let me know, i have ummm...a few

Comment

Hey, thanks for the responses, guys. I've got a couple of long weekends and no travel plans over the holidays here in sunny AZ, so I'll drop the wheel and take a look.

If it's just a worm gear, then I'm guessing my pristine tabs (which I did see) and total lack of movement on the cable side means fried gears, but hope springs eternal.

I'll post back once I get it apart, either with good news or to check if any of you guys have the right parts for me.

Great tip about the dots on the tach. I'd be in trouble with all those new photo radars if I didn't already know that 5k was right around 75mph. From what I've read and have observed, at less than 76 in a 65 you're OK.

Cheers

Comment

I had two fail this summer. You have to remove the circlip and grease under the washer with the tab, like everyone else said. Then you have to pull out the bit with the threads, remove the pinion and clean & grease it. There doesn't seem to be any way to remove the seal. At least for my bike they are also available new for about $60 from Suzuki.

Comment

Working...
              X