Chrome Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Removal

Found this method of removing chrome and thought some here may be interested.

The proceedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different
    chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent.
    Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket.
    NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode)
    Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket.
    Connect these to ground of battery charger. Hang item to be dechromed in
    fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires.
    Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should
    come clean. More or less time as required. When finnished, wash parts in
    mild soda water solution to nutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent
    rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.
    The proceedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different
    chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent.
    Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket.
    NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode)
    Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket.
    Connect these to ground of battery charger. Hang item to be dechromed in
    fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires.
    Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should
    come clean. More or less time as required. When finnished, wash parts in
    mild soda water solution to nutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent
    rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.
    '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
    '03 DR650
    sigpic

great advice!

you kind of repeated yourself in that post though lol

Comment

No Idea how I did that
      '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
      '03 DR650
      sigpic

Comment

The problem is what to do with the highly toxic bucket full of chemiclas at the end. Tipping it down the drain is akin to environmental terrorism.

Comment

mirrors?

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
          The problem is what to do with the highly toxic bucket full of chemiclas at the end. Tipping it down the drain is akin to environmental terrorism.
          Dump it in your swimming pool. They like acid anyway.

Now: I've got two mirrors that most of the chrome is peeling off and I want to get the rest of the metal off the glass...this might work. But I bet it needs a metal surface behind the chrome...glass won't conduct the electricity right. I might make it work if I could make a secure connection over the entire surface of the chrome. Might as well try it. (with low expectations)

Comment

How about sealing a cover on the bucket and labeling it correctly and saving it for another use down the road?????

Comment

I wasn't referring to the acid. It's the chrome that's the problem. Putting chromium 'into' the environment (down the drain, onto the grass) can lead to it ending up in the drinking water supply, food chain (fish) etc. Chrome plating workshops recover and recycle the metals form their waste water, it's not so easy to do that at home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't do it. You just need to be very careful what you do with the polluted water once you're finished, it's pretty toxic stuff.

Comment

Does anyone know if the chemistry on this is sound? I wouldn't like to try it blindly.

Comment

I wasn't referring to the acid. It's the chrome that's the problem. Putting chromium 'into' the environment (down the drain, onto the grass) can lead to it ending up in the drinking water supply, food chain (fish) etc. Chrome plating workshops recover and recycle the metals form their waste water, it's not so easy to do that at home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't do it. You just need to be very careful what you do with the polluted water once you're finished, it's pretty toxic stuff.
                  Good thinking Zooks.
                  Although it's easy to neutralize remaining acid with soda, the issue is the chrome (and other metals in there) residue.
                  Put lid on container and bring it to chrome shop. They will gladly handle it for you.
                  McLoud
                  '79 GS850
                  `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                  sigpic
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                  X