Anybody ever use this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever use this stuff?

Supposed to balance your wheels without weights. The only other product I know of that claims to do that is Slime, but it makes al mess on your rim.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

This has been discussed before Don.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
      Supposed to balance your wheels without weights. The only other product I know of that claims to do that is Slime, but it makes al mess on your rim.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...5614&en=en0904
      mmmm I'm not convinced that this will address wheel imbalance.
      I would expect this stuff to distribute itself around the wheel proportional to the distance from the centre of rotation.
      Centrifugal force.
      There may be some perceived benefit (smoothness) due to the increased flywheel effect. (but that would make it harder to tip into corners)
      Plus increasing mass overall would make any inherent imbalance a smaller percentage of the total weight.
      So on that basis it would help.
      mmm Just contradicted myself.
      But that's different to a correctly balanced wheel.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
        This has been discussed before Don.

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=dyna+beads
        My bad. I thought it was something new just because it was to me.

Nature bats last.

Comment

No prob, I hope I didn't seem like a smart arse then.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            No prob, I hope I didn't seem like a smart arse then.
            Nope. Only dutiful.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
              My bad. I thought it was something new just because it was to me.
              I had never heard of it either.
              A bit of research shows it to a bit controversial.

Comment

A bit of research shows it to a bit controversial.
                That describes 95% of the topics around here.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
                  That describes 95% of the topics around here.
                  Ahhh Good.
                  Life would be pretty boring without a bit of argy bargy.

Comment

never on my motorcycle- you can do as you like.
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I haven't used them on my GS but I did use them on a couple of 150CC scooters though. I did notice a difference in the ride when using them. I installed them throught the valve stem with the tire on the bike. Putting them in this way took a little time but I would say the results are worth it.

I purchased mine through a bike shop in KC that primarily dealt in sport bikes. I spoke to the owner because I was skeptical at first. He showed me 2-3 bikes he owned that had them in the tires, 2 R1's and a Duck. He was pleased with the results and none of those bikes had any sort of stick on weights. The duck was used as a track bike.

I haven't used them on the GS because the tires I purchased came with balancing as part of the price.

As far as changing a tire with them installed, I doubt they would be any trouble. They will just sit in the lowest area of the sidewall and can be brushed into a little container and reused. They shouldn't fall out all over the place. I think the reccomended amount per tire for one of our bikes would be less than an ounce per tire, although I would have to read thier literature to be sure.

Bottom line, I would have to report that I was pleased with the results and don't have any negatives to pass on.

Jim
                      GS Score Card
                      4-400 Series GS's
                      3-500 Series
                      1-600 Series
                      1-700 Series
                      4-800 Series
                      1-1000 Series
                      2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neilaction View Post
                        I would expect this stuff to distribute itself around the wheel proportional to the distance from the centre of rotation.
                        Centrifugal force.
                        There may be some perceived benefit (smoothness) due to the increased flywheel effect. (but that would make it harder to tip into corners)
                        Plus increasing mass overall would make any inherent imbalance a smaller percentage of the total weight.
                        Just a couple of thoughts based on your thoughts:
                        I believe the amount of weight added by the beads is only two ounces. I have had to add almost that much weight in lead when balancing a tire.
                        Two ounces compared to ... what? ... twenty pounds? isn't going to have that much effect on turning forces.

I also tend to agree with the skeptics on this concerning just where the bead go and what makes them balance out the tire. It is my opinion (and guess) that they will move to the point farthest from the axle. There is a chance that this might also be the heaviest spot, and this would aggravate any imbalance, not improve it.

I continue to read the stories with interest and amusement, but will stick to lead weights, for now.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I also tend to agree with the skeptics on this concerning just where the bead go and what makes them balance out the tire. It is my opinion (and guess) that they will move to the point farthest from the axle. There is a chance that this might also be the heaviest spot, and this would aggravate any imbalance, not improve it.
                          I don't know why, haven't read about the science involved, but the beads go where they are needed. It works.
                          No worries about losing a weight, or balance changing with tire wear.
                          It's all good.

This works for me:
                          A brief demonstration of how DynaBeads (or any similar product like CounterAct beads) work to balance your tires automatically and dynamically while you driv...
                          Last edited by tkent02; 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i am going with the dyna beads on the tires i just mounted, i will report my results.....
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I use them on the 'GK. They work great for me, really seems to smooth it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X