Buzz Kill Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzz Kill Engine Noise

Hi everyone. Another question/possible issue. I just noticed a buzzing sound and vibration coming from the left crankcase cover (stator cover?). At idle it sounds kinda like a... hmm. Hard to say. It's just a regular, steady vibrational buzz. It's not super loud, but I thought i'd better get some opinions on it. Any thoughts?

Pull the cover and have a look. Nothings going to to come flying out at you, or at least it SHOULDNT (if it does you have some other problems than a buzzing noise) You didnt LIST WHAT MODEL BIKE YOURE SPEAKING OF (which really helps btw) but the big zooks commonly had a problem with their starter clutches goin awry. Actually, ive been reading up on some other models lately and it seems this pretty common on big displacement UJMs from VARIOUS manufacturers. At any rate, take a look. Take some pictures, show the forum, then we'll be able to help you out more.

Comment

Pull the cover & see if any of the stator bolts or starter clutch bolts are backing out. Ray.

Comment

My bike's a stock 1980 GS550L. I guess i should add a signature. ...There. Done. Only it's not showing up. What button am i supposed to push?

Thanks for the advice. I'll crack it open and post some pics if there's anything interesting.

L8r,
        citizen Vern and his Amazing 1980 GS550L

Comment

I couldn't get the screws on the cover to come out for the life of me. Methinks i'm gonna need a bigger screwdriver. Maybe it will be easier once it cools down. I'm hoping it's just some screws vibrating on the cover or something, like RapidRay suggested. Until then, I shot this video here to demonstrate the buzzing sound, with and without different amplification apparati.

citizenVern and his Fantastic Singing 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Comment

Hi,

I had developed an odd buzz/rattle on my bike. It turned out one of the horns had come loose and was laying on top of the motor. Hopefully your fix will be just as easy. Have you tried using a screwdriver as a stethoscope to isolate the noisy area?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi CV!

Spray those screws with some PB Blaster and let soak for a long while (overnight at least). Then you need an impact driver (A big metal screw driver that you hit with hammer that slowly advances). You may want to order replacement bolts (nice allen head ones) cause you'll probably mash a few of the stock ones.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

Citizen Vern, welcome. There are a few of us living in Portland and surrounding area. Some of us even have some knowlege about the machines that we ride.
                I agree with BassCliff, and use a long screwdriver as a scope to fix the location of your buzz. Some sounds migrate all over the engine and are hard to pinpoint.
                Have you checked and adjusted your timeing chain adjuster? A chain that is a little loose can manifest itself through the crank. Is the sound found on the other side of the engine as well?
                V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Still Buzzin. Any suggestions?

Anybody have an idea why my 550 sounds like it's got a hornet trapped inside the crankcase? See video here. Earlier i suggested that it was coming from the stator area, but i didn't know what i was talking about. It's on the other side. The buzzing is a little bit quieter since i changed the beautifully black and metal-flecked oil The bike is running, but the noise is still there, making me nervous. Any thoughts on the matter are very welcome. If any of you Portlanders want a "free" lunch in exchange for a quick consultation, let me know. It would be cool to meet the local GS representatives anyways.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I kinda sounds like a small exhaust leak, maybe vibrating something to make the buzz IDK
                    good luck

Comment

I can't get the video to play...
                      but your problem sure sounds familiar !

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

please let me know what you find, and I'll do the same for you.

Pete

Comment

Engine noise

Just a guess because I experienced this once. One of my stator screws came loose and made a high pitch sound from the head touching the spinning magneto. I noticed it got louder when I put the high beam on. I'm not suggesting that's what's wrong with your bike, just one more thing to check.

Comment

Advice Duly Noted

I just noticed that i'd forgotten to check up on GustovH's recommendation to check the timing chain adjuster. Sorry for "ignoring" your advice. I got busy with other stuff, left town, forgot. I'll check that out, for sure. With as many GS's as you've got, if you say tighten up the screws on my license plate, i'll believe ya!

Edit: I checked, but it's electronic ignition, so there's no timing adjustment, correct? Was i supposed to check something else? I can also say that even with the stator cover off the buzz is still louder on the other side, so i'm ruling that out.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                          X