Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amperite stop-alert brake light pulsator

EDIT:

Here are the results of doing the modification. I can program the time and think this is about right

BEFORE

AFTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JC Whitney lists for
    Our Low Price:
    $36.99

Connected in series with the third brake light of automobiles, and the stop lamp of motorcycles, to enhance awareness of stop lamp illumination. Each time the brakes of a vehicle are applied, the stop lamp flashes rapidly for a period of 5 seconds. If the brakes continue to be applied, the stop lamp remains illuminated until the brakes are released. Incandescent lamp power rating 60-Watts continuous, 120-Watts intermittent. Made of glass reinforced black Lexan plastic, epoxy encapsulated for protection against moisture and vibration. Termination is three 1/4" quick connect male terminals. Size: 1-3/4" x 7/8" x 1-1/8". Single hole mounting, or 2 hole panel mount available at extra cost. Operating temperature of -40°C to + 60°C (-40°F to + 140°F).

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...MW5JghHg%3D%3D

It is Amperite is a quality relay manufacturer so I suspect you can trust this device for your brakes. It has wide applications for Automotice 3rd brake light as well as motorcyles. Reasonably priced as well.

Reviews at JC Whitney are good to excellent.

Anybody used this? I just ordered 5 of them.

I bought the ones at online_components.com but the other 4 are still available

Pos
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-14-2009, 01:57 AM.

I have never seen or used one of that particular brand, but I am familiar with several other brands, and use the Kisan and Hyperlite brands myself.

One thing to be aware of when using flashing brake lights ...
    although most, if not all, police officers will agree that the flashing light will definitely attract attention, there are some that are of the opinion that at least one light should remain lit the whole time that the brakes are applied. Depending on the flashing rate, a car that is following might see the light come ON, then go OFF and stop noticing what happens after that. They saw the light go OFF, so they keep going, right into your backside.

One flasher that is popular with some Goldwing riders is a Wig-Wag unit that will alternate the two bulbs on the trunk and leave the two bulbs on the saddlebags ON all the time. The problem with that is that one of the bulbs will come ON on the trunk, there is a pause before the alternating cycle begins, then the other light will come on. During that full second that it takes for the alternating to begin, there is some confusion caused by an apparent burned-out bulb, then it comes ON and the other one goes OFF, then you finally realize that they are alternating, but it's several seconds into your braking action.

Much better to keep things symetrical and keep at least one light lit all the time.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve

The standard 300 pulse per minute, 85% duty cycle yields a substantial increase in visual effectiveness (when compared to constant illumination) without the distraction level generated by common flashers.
      I pulled this from one of the globalspec website. That is 5 times per second. Enough to be real noticeable and doubtful any body could react to even one of those pulses (human reaction to is about 0.2 sec).

I considered getting something like this 1 1/2 years ago when I started ridding. More of the devices seemed to be Mom and Pop devices and were expensive ($125+). This device is made by a long time commercial relay manufacturer and I picked them up for $25 a piece.

The main issue ,I can see is a cop giving me a ticket, but fine that is better than some day dreaming cager running up my a$$.

Jim

Comment

You want something that is VERY noticeable (but a tad pricey)?

Hyperlites

Several models ranging from simple brake lights to combination tail/brake/turn units, but they are really worth it.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I know laws are different everywhere some states have a min flash rate at a certain % duty cycle and/or a max flash rate at a certain duty cycle. How they could know hey that flashed 301 times that min I think it would be no big deal. The only thing I've heard of someone who knows someone that if the taillight never stops flashing they've had problems. but if you're legal and you get a ticket I'd just let the cop feel big about it take the package up to the judge and say this is what's on my bike it's out in the parking lot if you want to go see. As of right now I've gotten in the habit of blipping the brake light a few times before the turn. I set it so it comes on before I can feel the brakes slow me down. If I get pulled over hey that's in the Missouri driver's manual to flash brake if you feel some one is to close. My feelings may just happen to be bigger than yours. But with one of those you don't have to remember you can blip everyone off at every turn.

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
            I know laws are different everywhere some states have a min flash rate at a certain % duty cycle and/or a max flash rate at a certain duty cycle.
            Most of the laws like the ones you are alluding to concern headlight modulators, but they are actually covered under a FEDERAL STATUTE, which also forbids any 'lesser' government to prohibit modulators that meet the Federal Statute.

I have only recently seen mention of regulations for brake light flashers, and that is for California. Evidently they only allow four flashes, then the light must go solid. Again, as I mentioned earlier, an officer is more likely to allow a slight variation (five flashes?) if you have other lights that stay solid when the brakes are activated.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

OK I finally got around to installing my STOP ALERT.

It is pretty easy to install. I found teh white wire that comes from teh two brake swicthes and inserted the device near the tail light.

Amperite Timing Device "STOP ALERT"
              DF series Flasher. This is a two terminal sealed selonoid type device that goes inline between the "high side" brake switch and the brake light. Flashes about 5 times per second even if the video looks irregular. On the GS750 it doesn't seem to stop flashing but continues to flash while the brakes are on. Moderate improvement in visability, not a hard on/off flash. If anything too fast but may avoid a fix it ticket in California for illegal flashers

Amperite Timing Device "STOP ALERT"DF series Flasher. This is a two terminal sealed selonoid type device that goes inline between the "high side" brake switc...

Comment

crappy install pic, The STOP ALERT is connected to a cut in the tail light pigtail and tie straped to the tail peice as shown.

Comment

to me it looks like a car with a bad alternator and the light pulses cause of voltage problems.

i think it would confuse most in a car to see a flashing light then a solid light especially like the ones from hyper lights too much going on will confuse a cager

Comment

Looking good Jimbo!
                    I would take notice!
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just ran across this

Red 1157 LED Replacement Bulb Rotating / Pulsating

This 1157 Replacement bulb fits right into your existing Brake / Tail Light, and rotates any time your running lights are on; then blinks when your brakes are applied.

Comment

i looked on youtube but that one isnt listed there are some others on there though

Comment

Not sure what the issue is. I get there fine at this link.

Amperite Timing Device "STOP ALERT"DF series Flasher. This is a two terminal sealed selonoid type device that goes inline between the "high side" brake switc...

UPDATE i tried some LED 1157 replacement lights thinking the response time would be less and there would be a more significant flash.

They flashed even less.

Will look tonight when it is dark to see if they are any brighter.

Pos

Comment

Looks good. How is a flashing light not better? The gap inbetween flashes is so insignificant I cannot imagine someone thinking, "oh, he is really not stopping". I have one like yours but it cost more and it doesn't look any better. Yours is very eye catching and seems to get brighter as it blinks. If you can, post a clearer install picture. I might put one of those on my other bike.

Thanks for this thread!

Rick

Comment

You can just modify a LED from Lockhart Phillips to fit UNDER your factory lense. I did that on my old FZR 1000 and boy she was BRIGHT! Red original lense and everything. Cost about $90.00, but WELL WORTH it. This pic just shows it on just the Running light, not even with the brake light on!

Here's how she looked before I put the lense back on

Used a sealant type glue-very sturdy!

Comment

Working...
                              X