NEWSFLASH - Hard starting 750 fixed !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWSFLASH - Hard starting 750 fixed !!

Stupid me finally fixed the problem I was having with my hard starting 750L. All the background info is in the attached link for those that are interested:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

The bottom line was that I used an aftermarket float bowl gasket & didn't remove one of the pre-punched knock out holes. This resulted in the bowl vent being covered up, essentially not allowing fuel to be "pulled" out of the bowl by the choke tube due to the vaccum created when the choke was activated - the fuel simply couldn't flow up into the choke circuit.

Kinda like trying to suck through a straw that's only open at one end - nothing is going to move through it until it's vented at the other end.

In retrospect, I think that the "blowing into the vent hoses ritual" may put a little positive pressure into the bowls, thus forcing fuel into the choke passages to help it get things started.

Anyway, I removed the tiny little round "knock-out" from each of the four float bowl gaskets & the bike started right up with the "now functioning" choke.

I'm attaching some pics showing the float bowl vent & gaskets, but I have to post them in several posts because I haven't yet figured out how to put them all in one post.

Enjoy - perhaps this will help someone out there that may have the same issue??

Regards,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Another bowl gasket pic

Pic showing the carb body side of the float bowl:
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Pic showing OEM gasket installed

Pic showing OEM gasket installed:
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Pic showing aftermarket gasket installed

Pic showing aftermarket gasket installed:
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Wow

Thanks for sharing; I have learned my lesson ; always check the new gasket against the old one as well as fit onto the mating surfaces.

Comment

I hate to say it..but I TOLD YOU IT WAS CARB RELATED AND NOT THE IGNITION COILS. Glad it all worked out. I think the next time I open my carbs up I'm going to double check to see if that hole on my carbs isn't partially blocked. Come to think of it I think I also used aftermarket gaskets..I better check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Thanks for sharing; I have learned my lesson ; always check the new gasket against the old one as well as fit onto the mating surfaces.
              I also used aftermarket rubber plugs as well... I originally thought those might be oversized & causing a blockage, that's why I pulled the bowls in the first place. Once I realized the plugs were identical to the OEM's I then looked at the bowl gaskets. Those were the only two items where I didn't use OEM replacements, so I reasoned there must be something wrong (different) there.

I've cleaned several sets of carbs now & have yet to have a problem with them not being cleaned properly. I REALLY didn't want to pull them off & clean them again. I got lucky .

Bike started in less than one second once the gaskets were "fixed".

Little things always seem to cause BIG problems...
              Last edited by hikermikem; 06-04-2009, 11:59 PM.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                I hate to say it..but I TOLD YOU IT WAS CARB RELATED AND NOT THE IGNITION COILS
                Yup, you were right - fuel related issue, not electrical.

The tip-off to me was the way the bike "labored" when the choke was pulled - you could hear it crank "slower & harder" when the choke was on; push the choke in & it immediately cranked "faster & easier".
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

As many carbs as I seem to do, it appears that is one more thing to put on my checklist if I have to change the bowl gaskets.

Now a tip for you: On BassCliff's "little" website, he has a page that tells you How to Post Pictures on GSR. Basically, you post the pictures on a picture-hosting site like Photobucket, select the picture you want to show, copy the IMG line associated with that picture, paste the link in your message. You will not see the picture until you preview your message, but it will be there and you can put up to four pictures per post. Keep in mind that smilies also count as 'pictures', so plan accordingly.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent thread Mr. hikermikem. Here are all the pictures for you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

A reminder...

To link up to 4 pictures in your post, Click the 'picture' icon ( ), then enter the web address of your picture in the resulting URL box:

Your pictures must be hosted at an online resource like Photobucket or Imageshack.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Is it just me, or did you miss another one top left ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                          Is it just me, or did you miss another one top left ?
                          Give that man a cigar I was waiting for someone to notice that one.

Yes, the gaskets are different there also, but on my carb that's just a blind hole. Even the OEM gasket (with the hole already there), part of that hole sticks out beyond the sealing surface anyway. There's no passage there to seal.

Believe me - I looked very hard at that one after I discovered my "faux-pas"

Don't know exactly what that particular "tab'ed hole" is for, it doesn't do anything on any of my carbs. Maybe seals something on a different model carb??

Mike
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Excellent thread Mr. hikermikem. Here are all the pictures for you.
                            Thanks for the info, I like your way better!

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Now a tip for you: On BassCliff's "little" website, he has a page that tells you How to Post Pictures on GSR. .
                            Thanks Steve
                            Last edited by hikermikem; 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM.
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I don't use that little picture icon when I post pictures.

I locate the picture in my Photobucket (in a second browser window), click on the IMG link and right-click to copy it. Then I go back to my GSR window and simply right-click and paste the link where I want the picture.

TIPS:
                              - I have my Photobucket settings adjusted to automatically reduce incoming pictures to 800 x 600. This saves bandwidth on the board and leaves the pictures big enough to be seen.
                              - When posting pictures, make sure that you have an extra space (use the ENTER key) above and below each picture. This keeps the board to a 'normal' width and provides a bit of a border when posting multiple pics.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X