1166 dyno info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1166 dyno info

I built a kat for a local dude a while back and he has had the bike dyno'd.

I thought I would post the info for interest.

1982 gs1100 katana
    web WGS348(168) cams
    36mm mikuni flatslides
    wiseco 1166 piston kit (10.25 to 1)
    pod filters
    v&h megaphone header

dyno'd @ 131hp @ sea level. Keep in mind that not all dynos are alike. This one was a atmospheric corrected dyno. If you are looking for gains when tuning its a good idea to go back to the same machine or you won't get reliable information on the upgrades.

A time slip is better than a dyno slip. Measures the whole package...bike and rider.

There is some interesting info on this page including rear world true hp numbers for many bikes. http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html
    Last edited by katman; 07-25-2009, 12:53 PM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Good numbers. When I had basically the same setup, but stock head, stock cams, I got 128HP. It suprised me when I finally put cams in that motor what small gains I got at the track. I thought it would go a good bit faster, but it didn't. I still have that 1166 kit sitting on the shelf having gone to a 1260 a couple years ago. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

Comment

Rob,

Not bad . I assume that dynoing the bike means a chassis dyno. BIG difference between crank and rear wheel numbers. 131 at the wheel is really close to the 150 mark at the crank. Did this engine have any head work ? Head work really amplify's the mods you do. These 1166 engines are great for the money. Easy to get 160 + with a good package. Rosco, making a cam change and getting very little might mean you could use more head. You probably are at the limits of what the head can flow right now. Very good info. Rob keep us posted.

Terry
      1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Rob,
        I don't have much to add here, but the fact that I started this thread a while about low cost head work. Thanks Terry did a very nice job on my head. A few folks including Ray and Terry weighed in on the subject relative to the 1100 16V motors.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Also from what I remember Rapid Ray saying he was working on a bike that he built just recently, and with those Web 0.348's 1166 and RS 36mm carbs (also assuming proper head work) that bike was dropping well into the 9's. He was surprised by the additional hp that combo was putting out for just a baby 1166 kit (For Ray it is 1400 or nothing).

I also spoke with the owner of the bike. He reckoned the 348 cams were very street able , although he thought the RS's were more of a street strip (on/off) type of carb.

For me, I stayed at the 0.340, and have not even replaced my 1150 carbs with Slingshot CV Flatslides. I'm looking for more streetability but I might mention that I seemed to have perhaps broadended my powerband (according to my dynoButt meter) using my new 4:2:1 Yoshi. (no 4:1 flat spot)

Jim
        Last edited by posplayr; 07-25-2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15 View Post
          Good numbers. When I had basically the same setup, but stock head, stock cams, I got 128HP. It suprised me when I finally put cams in that motor what small gains I got at the track. I thought it would go a good bit faster, but it didn't. I still have that 1166 kit sitting on the shelf having gone to a 1260 a couple years ago. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck.
          can i assume this is a high compression kit rather than a street flat top kit?
          apples to apples guys.
          i also assume kat's customers bike is a flat top kit..
          chime in folks...
          stock head and cams w/ just a flat top 1166 kit i would question making 128 @ the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
            Rob,

Not bad . I assume that dynoing the bike means a chassis dyno. BIG difference between crank and rear wheel numbers. 131 at the wheel is really close to the 150 mark at the crank. Did this engine have any head work ? Head work really amplify's the mods you do. These 1166 engines are great for the money. Easy to get 160 + with a good package.
            Terry
            No head work, just what I have listed.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
              I built a kat for a local dude a while back and he has had the bike dyno'd.

I thought I would post the info for interest.

1982 gs1100 katana
              web WGS348(168) cams
              36mm mikuni flatslides
              wiseco 1166 piston kit
              pod filters
              v&h megaphone header

dyno'd @ 131hp @ sea level. Keep in mind that not all dynos are alike. This one was a atmospheric corrected dyno. If you are looking for gains when tuning its a good idea to go back to the same machine or you won't get reliable information on the upgrades.

A time slip is better than a dyno slip. Measures the whole package...bike and rider.

There is some interesting info on this page including rear world true hp numbers for many bikes. http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html
              if this combo has a stock valve head/street porting or there abouts...
              these numbers are right in range as far as im concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Rob,
                I don't have much to add here, but the fact that I started this thread a while about low cost head work. Thanks Terry did a very nice job on my head. A few folks including Ray and Terry weighed in on the subject relative to the 1100 16V motors.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Also from what I remember Rapid Ray saying he was working on a bike that he built just recently, and with those Web 0.348's 1166 and RS 36mm carbs (also assuming proper head work) that bike was dropping well into the 9's. He was surprised by the additional hp that combo was putting out for just a baby 1166 kit (For Ray it is 1400 or nothing).

I also spoke with the owner of the bike. He reckoned the 348 cams were very street able , although he thought the RS's were more of a street strip (on/off) type of carb.

For me, I stayed at the 0.340, and have not even replaced my 1150 carbs with Slingshot CV Flatslides. I'm looking for more streetability but I might mention that I seemed to have perhaps broadended my powerband (according to my dynoButt meter) using my new 4:2:1 Yoshi. (no 4:1 flat spot)

Jim
                THe flatslieds are very streetable?? I have used them on numerous bikes and have not found them to be on/off carbs
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  can i assume this is a high compression kit rather than a street flat top kit?
                  apples to apples guys.

10.25 to 1 piston kit.
                  Last edited by katman; 07-25-2009, 01:00 PM.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

10.25 to 1 piston kit, question as you like. Dyno numbers are not absolute and I posted the info for general information. On one dyno on one day the bike pulled that number.
                    kat,
                    that quote was not for you.
                    re-read please.

Comment

Caught that and changed the post. But, I did leave out the piston comp which is important.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

i would just assume rosco's being a dragbike and with the 128 HP is more than a flat top kit which would explain the near 40 HP gain over a stock 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          i would just assume rosco's being a dragbike and with the 128 HP is more than a flat top kit which would explain the near 40 HP gain over a stock 1100.
                          HE does say though he had the same setup but stock cams. he @ 128 and this engine @ 131 with cams. IF you question his @ 128 you must be questioning the 131 as well?
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

HE does say though he had the same setup but stock cams. he @ 128 and this engine @ 131 with cams. IF you question his @ 128 you must be questioning the 131 as well?
                            3 hp for cams??
                            ummm,
                            no.
                            i figare the cams make the differance by MORE THAN 3 HORSEPOWER.
                            stock cams are a dog..wont rev and so on.
                            131 i see.
                            128 on just a piston kit and the dreaded STOCK CAMS.
                            i dont see.
                            dyno's and conditions vary....
                            and he said he had the same set up..thats before you posted your compression.
                            lets see what he says..
                            it is what it is.

Comment

THe flatslieds are very streetable?? I have used them on numerous bikes and have not found them to be on/off carbs
                              Rob,
                              Well I kinda stepped into it making that comment . If that was the only thing I had to say I would not have posted anything. Basically I was posting a summary of my interview of the owner of the bike with similar config as your guys (1166 10.25:1, 348's ;RS 36 doing well sub 10's at 140 IIRC). I know a lot of guys run them (like you); I just thought it was an interesting comment coming from a guy running them on the strip.

Maybe the word "streetable" is a poor choice, and "forgiving" is a better word. I'm not sure as I have not ridden them. I know when I have ridden my Gixxer 1100 with CV Flatslides, the slides jump in a hurry, but I never got the feeling the bike was unmanageable, however when you roll on the throttle it pulls very strong.

It is probably more a matter of what you want out of your bike, instant on v.s. CV lag; the lag being more smooth and forgiving.

Can you provide a comparative assessment?

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X