Do i need to remove grease from camchain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i need to remove grease from camchain

The title says it all. The new camchain came in the brown greaseproof paper with grease applied to the chain. Will the grease work it's way to the clutch plates eventually on the rebuilt engine. If so, how much of the grease do I need to remove before fitting the new camchain. Just wipe the grease off the external surface of the chain or something more thorough like washing the chain and then re-oiling before fitting.

Comments please.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    The title says it all. The new camchain came in the brown greaseproof paper with grease applied to the chain. Will the grease work it's way to the clutch plates eventually on the rebuilt engine. If so, how much of the grease do I need to remove before fitting the new camchain. Just wipe the grease off the external surface of the chain or something more thorough like washing the chain and then re-oiling before fitting.

Comments please.
    I don't think it would hurt anything if you put it in as is.If you have a rebuilt engine wouldent you treat it as new and change the oil and filter after a few hundred miles and flush everything out.

Comment

Originally posted by new bob View Post
      I don't think it would hurt anything if you put it in as is.If you have a rebuilt engine wouldent you treat it as new and change the oil and filter after a few hundred miles and flush everything out.
      Yes I would. That's right. But my worry was that the clutch plates could become contaminated in that short time. They tell us not to use MOLY assembly lube on the cams, etc. or use friction modified oils in our motors and I was not sure whether the grease is one such product or whether it would just dissolve into the oil and cause no further damage.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

why not spray it with brake cleaner and relube with engine oil and just forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          Yes I would. That's right. But my worry was that the clutch plates could become contaminated in that short time. They tell us not to use MOLY assembly lube on the cams, etc. or use friction modified oils in our motors and I was not sure whether the grease is one such product or whether it would just dissolve into the oil and cause no further damage.

Thanks for your reply.
          When I replaced the head gasket on my 1100 I used Lucas assembly lube on my cams,journals and cam chain and it contains moly.I have not had any problems at all.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Good advice there.

Comment

Don, don't worry about the grease contaminating the clutch if you've wiped the chain with a cloth. Just make sure that you get any big dollops off as it can come loose and float off to somewhere where it can block an oilway. By the way - are you sure it's grease and not vaseline? Vaseline will melt at a pretty low temp and just 'become part of the oil' - if I've got any handy that's what I prefer to use on engine assembly because of this.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                why not spray it with brake cleaner and relube with engine oil and just forget about it.
                Thanks Jim. Excellent idea.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Don, don't worry about the grease contaminating the clutch if you've wiped the chain with a cloth. Just make sure that you get any big dollops off as it can come loose and float off to somewhere where it can block an oilway. By the way - are you sure it's grease and not vaseline? Vaseline will melt at a pretty low temp and just 'become part of the oil' - if I've got any handy that's what I prefer to use on engine assembly because of this.
                  Thanks Josh, What other areas on a rebuild (split crankcases, etc.), reassembly would you use the vaseline on (on the bike I mean).

P.S. Yes I have wiped all excess grease off the chain with a rag. There is some clogged in between the links though.

Comment

Working...
                  X