Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
    What do you guys think?
    personally.... i'd have used clip-ons and a clean top yoke... imho it would look a lot cleaner and less "busy". the bars just have "too much to them... angles, bolts and area".

just my opinion but as ya asked ......

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
      personally.... i'd have used clip-ons and a clean top yoke... imho it would look a lot cleaner and less "busy". the bars just have "too much to them... angles, bolts and area".

just my opinion but as ya asked ......
      The beauty of the Laverda bars have more to do with function than form....they offer virtually infinite adjustability. I think once they've been PC'd black, they should blend in just fine...the fairing will cover it from most angles anyway.
      Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
        The beauty of the Laverda bars have more to do with function than form....they offer virtually infinite adjustability. I think once they've been PC'd black, they should blend in just fine...the fairing will cover it from most angles anyway.
        Tony.
        Exactly. Changing the angle of the bars just a bit gives a whole different feel to the bike.

Here's some pictures of the new adjuster blocks, caliper mount and the rear wheel bushings.

From what I could gather when I measured, the front and rear wheel are in line with eachother, maybe off by a millimeter or two, but nothing major.

Caliper mount still needs some work, but overall, it's pretty much finished. Now I need to sort out all the minor things that are left on the bike. Gonna start working on some mounts for the headlight and fairing today, start cutting some cardboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
          Tony.
          yes, i completely understand the function/form argument.... it was my opinion as i prefer the bare bones look and felt there was "too much going on" above the yoke.... the rest is so well worked/thought out i'm sure mr mindless will do an admirable job or taking care of the asthetics as well as the function...

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
            yes, i completely understand the function/form argument.... it was my opinion as i prefer the bare bones look and felt there was "too much going on" above the yoke.... the rest is so well worked/thought out i'm sure mr mindless will do an admirable job or taking care of the asthetics as well as the function...
            I see what you're getting at and I kinda agree with you, but part of why it looks so messy right now is because I haven't painted it yet. Once the frame is painted black and all the other details it's going to look much more uniform.

I hope...

Hopefully I'll have the frame off to the powdercoaters by the end of the week so from there the project is on the home straight.

Comment

'bout time I did an update...

Today I managed to finish up all the small bits that were left. Fit the rear light and made a dirt guard for it, fitted the license plate mount and finished up the lock / fastening mechanism for the seat.

Made the dirt guard behind the light out of some 1.5mm alu-sheet. Just drilled some holes through it so it fits between the bracket for the rearlight and the rearlight itself. Didn't want to start making separate mounts for it so this saved some work. Looks better too.

Next up was the fastening mechanism for the seat. While I say "mechanism" it's actually just a dzus-fastener.

This is elegantly tucked in under the seat like this.

Pull the loop down, twist it around and it pops out. Voilŕ, the seat is loose. Fits like a glove and very rigid. Also drilled the final holes for the dirt guard under the subframe and fitted some pop-nut threads. No pictures of that though I'm afraid.

That was what I did earlier today. Tonight I tore the bike apart again and started plugging all the threads and holes in the frame. Why you ask? Off to the blasters tomorrow and the powdercoaters on Monday. I'll probably get back with some pictures of the result tomorrow.

Comment

When are you going to paint this machine already???!!

Gezzzzz!!!!

I like the idea of the "dzus" fastener on the seat. Nice to be able to pop the seat off without having to kill the bike. Say if access was only a keyed latch and one key in the ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                  When are you going to paint this machine already???!!

Gezzzzz!!!!

I like the idea of the "dzus" fastener on the seat. Nice to be able to pop the seat off without having to kill the bike. Say if access was only a keyed latch and one key in the ignition.
                  Frame got blasted today but I'm gonna hold of picking it up until Monday when it's actually going to the powdercoaters. Don't want to expose it to any unnecessary moisture before the powdercoater can put the zinc-primer on it.

Gonna fix the tools I need for the head tomorrow so I can start tearing it apart (and put it together again). Tried fitting the intake cam in the head and there sure is a difference in lift, I can tell you that.

More pictures during the weekend.

Comment

waiting for more pics

Comment

What's the plan on the seat?

Comment

your build amazes me! you do some quality work. will be tuning in waiting for more updates

Comment

Sorry about the lack of updates guys.

Frame is painted and ready but I wont be able to pick it up until tomorrow. Also been sorting out the engine with some new valve seals, springs and fixing the valve seals. Just need to grind some bigger slots on the cam sprockets so I can adjust them for more correct cam timing.

Gonna go give the swingarm another round in the blasting booth tonight as we might not be able to be at the workshop for a few weeks. They're going on a strike so they will be locking everyone out, even on off-hours.

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
                          your build amazes me! you do some quality work. will be tuning in waiting for more updates
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          What's the plan on the seat?
                          The idea was to have it upholstered with fresh foam and Alcantara fabric, but it looks like I'll have to push that up for a while as I don't have money and time to send it to a professional. Going to race it at the track on the 24th of May so I gotta have all the mechanics done by then - the cosmetics can wait a bit. Not really in a hurry with that, just want it running.

Only thing new on the bike this week was a set of fresh tyres as well as this oilcooler.

I'll upload some pictures of the head-work later.

Comment

Forgot to take pictures of the head but I did remember to take some of the freshly painted frame.

God bless powdercoat - and I'm not even a 'believer' in the guy up above.

Love the finish of the 30% gloss.

I think the contrasts with the gold forks, Ohlins shocks, stainless exhaust and so on will look great.

Gonna be awesome to start putting it together again in the coming weeks. Got all the final bits ordered so now it's just a race against the clock. Must be done by the 20th of May and that's just over a month away.

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhh, this is great stuff. LOVE that you're going "black" on the frame!!!
                              -KR

Comment

Long time since I did any update. Nothing major going on since it's all about putting things together at this state of the build.

On Wednesday I went to a guy called "Katana Kurt" in a neighboring town to get some assistance with timing the camshafts in properly. The name isn't for show either, he owns three of them (one stock, one 1428cc dragbike and a 1570cc streetbike) and they all look killer.

With the engine all put together it was time to deal with the valve adjustment. Should be 0,07-0,14mm on all valves but with the new high-lift cams it was more like 1-3mm (15-20 times outside the recommended value).

All adjusted, torqued up and lubed.

Today I decided to make good use of the nice weather so I went and invested in some nice brushes and some engine cleaner / degreaser. After a few rounds of that the engine was pretty much 100% clean from oil residue so I hit it with the PlastiCote engine paint.

Man, did it make a difference?

From a brownish gray to a pure gloss black.

Just gotta paint the engine covers the right color now. Haven't decided what ít'll be yet though.

More to come during the week!

Hopefully...

Comment

Working...
                                X