Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike starts to "wobble" at higher speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Sandy, Thanks for the input. My brother tipped it over in the driveway by bumping it with his truck. The wobble started not long after. Hard to remember it was 20 years ago. I thought I had a wrench on every bolt on the thing but just a couple days ago I found the Fork support horseshoe bolts loose. Im gonna check em all again.
    ?
    Hmm................

Bill, The tires are brand new. Avon Road Riders. Lots of guys have em on 1100Es. Funny though....no one has yet to say they have no problem going wide open in 5th. Except maybe the drag racers. Has any body taken an 1100E with Road Riders up to 7Krpm in 5th ? I cant get to 6K ?

I think Bill takes his L up there easily with his 1230
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-23-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

something not said was road condition...... i know in michigan they put tracks in the concrete going with the direction insted of acrost it ...... when ever i hit that part of the road the bike feels unstable and it wanders or wobles under me ...... so maby try a diff road.....

Comment

.....back (to the regularly scheduled speeding thread). Friggin back tire only had 20 psi. Run up to QT and dialed em both to 36psi. Made some runs. Im really liking these road riders. There is one ramp on my "course" that Im getting comfortable with. Wont be long till Im rubbin the centerstand. Been a long time since Ive done that. Bike is runnin t!ts. (can I say that ?)

So I was able to get the Avons up to temp and then push er up through 6.5K. Felt a little wiggy but I was doing it. Mr. Sk8er dude, I am gonna go find some better road. Traffic was a little much tonight. How fast is 6.5k rpm in 5th ?

When I got back the 36psi in a cold tire was 38 psi. Now I gotta figure where my slow leak is.....
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-23-2010, 11:39 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

.....back (to the regularly scheduled speeding thread). Friggin back tire only had 20 psi. Run up to QT and dialed em both to 36psi. Made some runs. Im really liking these road riders. There is one ramp on my "course" that Im getting comfortable with. Wont be long till Im rubbin the centerstand. Been a long time since Ive done that. Bike is runnin t!ts. (can I say that ?)

So I was able to get the Avons up to temp and then push er up through 6.5K. Felt a little wiggy but I was doing it. Mr. Sk8er dude, I am gonna go find some better road. Traffic was a little much tonight. How fast is 6.5k rpm in 5th ?

When I got back the 36psi in a cold tire was 38 psi. Now I gotta figure where my slow leak is.....
          I changed the tires on my GS750E and left the tubes off with my Avons brand new. After a while it started loosing pressure first the front then the back as well. I pulled the tires off and cleaned the inner part of the rim with fine steel wool (where the bead seats). I then sprayed with silicone spray to coat the aluminum to keep it from corroding. Stopped the leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Stopped the leaks.
            Mine are tubeless too. The two nuts on the valve stem were loose. I squirted it with simple green and It was blowing bubbles and down to 32psi. Tightened the nuts and the bubbles stopped. Today after work it was still 32psi .
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Mine are tubeless too. The two nuts on the valve stem were loose. I squirted it with simple green and It was blowing bubbles and down to 32psi. Tightened the nuts and the bubbles stopped. Today after work it was still 32psi .

Well give err hell .............................

But be careful else the next speed limit in the old girl will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                sprayed with silicone spray to coat the aluminum to keep it from corroding
                OMG I believe that to be a very dangerous thing to do. Silicon is an amazing lubricant and should not be used on tire beads. I am very suprised that tire hasn't moved on the wheel if it was a wheel with a tube you might well destroy the tube.Which could happen on hard braking or acceleration.We used to use soapy water to help get tire beads on and seat but had a few slip so the practice was stopped.

Randy

oh btw I'm sufficiently "shocked" now TY

Comment

Originally posted by gs road racer View Post
                  OMG I believe that to be a very dangerous thing to do. Silicon is an amazing lubricant and should not be used on tire beads. I am very suprised that tire hasn't moved on the wheel if it was a wheel with a tube you might well destroy the tube.Which could happen on hard braking or acceleration.We used to use soapy water to help get tire beads on and seat but had a few slip so the practice was stopped.

Randy

oh btw I'm sufficiently "shocked" now TY
                  So you are saying you have had inflated tires rotate on street wheels to the point where the valve stems were shredded?

I went to see if there was any evidence of "damage"; since it is tubeless I'm not sure how it would show unless it was littlerally spinning on the wheel and heating .

If it matters it was a "dry" silicone spray that leaves a smooth film. It is not wet or oily.

I did it to stop corrosion of the bare aluminum.

Comment

apparently anything can start a wobble

Comment

Working...
                    X