Allie's home made camera mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allie's home made camera mount

This little project turned out well so I thought I'd just post the idea with pictures here.

I started with a cheapie telescoping camera tripod, a training wheel, and some spare hardware - junk lying around the house.

Here's the original Tripod:

I removed the mounting platform from the tripod and drilled a hole in the body to accommodate a mounting bolt, thus:

I drilled the larger hole, the smaller one was already there. Saving that small screw and square nut allows me to put the platform back on the tripod and use it.

I removed the wheel from a training wheel arm, and sawed the slotted end off. I then drilled a small hole for the platform mounting bolt (slightly off center of course, oops ). The larger hole happened to be a good size to mount to the triple clamp.

Here is the hardware used to mount the platform to the arm:

The piece of rubber is automotive hose and helps isolate vibrations. I'm not sure if the teflon washer helps in this respect or not.

Here is everything put together, and mounted on the bike. Note the location of the square rubber washer.

I usually put the camera on while the base is flipped up like that, then flip it down and adjust the angle.

There it is, all ready to go!

Here's a short clip shot with it.

It has turned out to be pretty stable, sturdy, and easy to use. It's not as versatile as a RAM camera mount, which at about US $30 is well worth it in my opinion, but it works just as well within its limited range. A little more ingenuity with finding a mounting arm would let me mount it back a little so the guages are in the picture, which would be cool.

Camera sold separately!
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Very clever. I've got a small backpacker tripod I might need to look at for something similar.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Nice work Allie, is there anything you can't do?

Comment

Nice, Allie, but what about your kid that keeps falling over on the one side of the bike?

Regards,

Comment

Very slick. I've been wanting to do something for a camera, thanks for the "thrifty" idea, right up my alley.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
            Nice, Allie, but what about your kid that keeps falling over on the one side of the bike?

Regards,
            He could use that bike as a roller blade now.

Nice work Allie, is there anything you can't do?
            I have a mental block about certain things, such as math, parallel parking, and not getting lost.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Great leap forward…But…

That's a great idea, but…What about vibration coming up the bike frame? Remember how your hands feel the vibration?
              I think your results may be somewhat fuzzy, only in wide angle you may get something recognizable.
              Sorry, I'm just skeptical about the sharpness verses vibration factor.
              If the camera was mounted to your helmet or chest, then your body would absorb most of the vibration from the bike.
              You Go Girl!
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                That's a great idea, but…What about vibration coming up the bike frame? Remember how your hands feel the vibration?
                Did you watch the video in the link?

Very little shaking going on there.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  I think your results may be somewhat fuzzy, only in wide angle you may get something recognizable.
                  Sorry, I'm just skeptical about the sharpness verses vibration factor.
                  If the camera was mounted to your helmet or chest, then your body would absorb most of the vibration from the bike.
                  You Go Girl!
                  Well my reasoning went like this: The mirrors are rubber mounted, and stay pretty clear until high revs - probably because I need to do some ahem, maintenance items.

The platform has a rubber pad where the camera mounts to it, and additionally I did put that rubber spacer where it mounts to the arm. Between the two I really don't see much blurriness in the picture. I've run it up to 8-9 grand without any real blur happening. Follow the link to see for yourself. I do notice a little jiggly-joo going on here and there, and wonder if perhaps stiffer rubber would help, or thinner rubber, or just making the mounting bolt a little tighter. I may also take a run without the extra spacer to see what happens.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                    Well my reasoning went like this: The mirrors are rubber mounted, and stay pretty clear until high revs - probably because I need to do some ahem, maintenance items.

The platform has a rubber pad where the camera mounts to it, and additionally I did put that rubber spacer where it mounts to the arm. Between the two I really don't see much blurriness in the picture. I've run it up to 8-9 grand without any real blur happening. Follow the link to see for yourself. I do notice a little jiggly-joo going on here and there, and wonder if perhaps stiffer rubber would help, or thinner rubber, or just making the mounting bolt a little tighter. I may also take a run without the extra spacer to see what happens.
                    I didn't see anything wrong with the video. I've seen chase bike video that wasn't as good as yours.

Comment

Nice. In comparison to other riding videos, I do miss being able to read the gages. OTOH, I can understand why one might not want them visible.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Actually a different shaped steel bar would put the camera anywhere you want.
                        I like the gauges in the picture. I am also thinking a small clear windscreen mounted just in front of the camera and angled upwards to deflect air above the camera might allow engine sound to be heard instead of wind noise.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You sure you're a girl? Nice job on the "bodging" as our Limey buddies say.

The vid is rock steady so your isolation gaskets worked out well. What kind of camera are you using bye the bye?

I've been toying with the idea of mounting a camera myself and while I can't mount mine the same way (clipons) you have given me some ideas. Much appreciated.

Now post some more of your rides.

Cheers,
                          spyug

Comment

Clever idea.

Is that 750 of yours as clean as it looks in your posts? It looks pretty sharp.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The results on utube are good…

I did not see the link for a sample before I wrote my post. What I saw was good! I could even see the cracks in the pavement. I'm a Certified Professional Photographer, so I have to think in terms of perfect results.
                              Have you ever had to listen to a bridezilla trying to get a bitch discount from you? I have. You got good enough results for your personal or eBay postings. I like it!
                              Bill
                              Originally posted by Allie View Post

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X