83 GS1100e Cylinder Gasket Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100e Cylinder Gasket Replacement

I developed a leak right the very front in the middle (where the hump with the 6mm bolt is) that is getting worse and need to replace the cylinder head gasket.

Besides the cam cover gasket and the actual cylinder head gasket, what other parts would you recommend to get in advance of pulling the head.

This is my first time doing this, what is the level of difficulty for someone with just average mechanical skills. Anyone have step by step of what to watch for, things I should absolutely do while having the head off, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

John, while it IS possible it could be the base gasket, I would first replace the o rings on the front, center 2 head nuts that are on both sides of the cam chain galley. I have seen this as the issue more times than the base gasket. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you want help or have more questions. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post

Besides the cam cover gasket and the actual cylinder head gasket, what other parts would you recommend to get in advance of pulling the head.
      Hey John, you will need an inch/lb and a ft/lb torque wrench, a good manual, and of course these great forum members.....Billy

Comment

Thanks guys! Ray, I will definitely try that first. Can you please let me know the part number you are referring to from the attached fische. Thanks!
        Last edited by thewiz; 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! Ray, I will definitely try that first. Can you please let me know the part number you are referring to from the attached fische. Thanks!
          http://www.gssuzuki.com/fiche_image_...=CYLINDER+HEAD
          It would be part #17.

Comment

Well, I followed Rapidray's advice and it fixed the whole problem. $5.00 in parts and no more leaks! Thanks Ray as this saved a bunch of money and especially aggrevation as I would have replaced the base gasket and it would have still leaked. You're the man!

Comment

Is it possible when those o-rings are bad, oil could get in exhaust pipe , Bike is blowing smoke badly but spark plugs and commpression fine ???
              Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
                Is it possible when those o-rings are bad, oil could get in exhaust pipe , Bike is blowing smoke badly but spark plugs and commpression fine ???
                No

oil leaks past the o-rings from inside the cam gallery. It leaks out and flows down front of engine.

Comment

Well, I followed Rapidray's advice and it fixed the whole problem. $5.00 in parts and no more leaks! Thanks Ray as this saved a bunch of money and especially aggrevation as I would have replaced the base gasket and it would have still leaked. You're the man!
                  AWESOME!!! Glad to have helped! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    John, while it IS possible it could be the base gasket, I would first replace the o rings on the front, center 2 head nuts that are on both sides of the cam chain galley. I have seen this as the issue more times than the base gasket. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you want help or have more questions. Ray.
                    This is a great thread!!
                    Looking at the fiche just the valve cover need to get pulled is correct?

Comment

That is correct. Remove the valve cover, remove the two bolts next to the cam channel, grease up the replacement o rings, re-torque, replace valve cover gasket if necessary and torque down the valve cover. Easy! Rapidray saved the day as I have had not had any leaks since I did this.

John

Comment

Preparing to attempt this fix on Pat's (GravityTester) '83 750ES. Looking at the 'fiche from his bike, it looks like #11 is a gasket for an internal nut.

Can we assume this could be the corresponding part?

Comment

I am not sure, maybe someone with better knowledge on the 750 will chime in. But it looks very similar except mine was actually an oring that fit into a groove in the bolt.

Comment

Any 750 experts want to give this a second glance?

Comment

Big Thanks to Ray!!! My bad wrong Motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X