Plug Wires and boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Wires and boots

Can anyone tell me if th '79 850 uses the metal wire or the high tension leads as found on automotive applications, for the plug wires. And where can I find new plug boots. I found one cracked and I think my plug wires are needing replaced. How do I put the wire into the coil and boot and how do I keep them there.
    Thanks
    RIDMBIKS

Try Z1 Enterprises

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Try Z1 Enterprises
      Welcome...See your new

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. RIDMBIKS,

You'll have to gently chip away at the epoxy on the coils to pull out the old plug wires. Be careful not to damage the spike in the bottom of the connection holes.

Then push the new wires in and epoxy in place.

Replacing the spark plug caps are easy. See the guide on my little website. The wire set at Z1Enterprises.com is a good choice. Don't use suppression wire, just the 5K plug caps.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

NKG plug caps for my 1100G are
          XB05F & VB05F
          2 each.
          Available at most mocycle shops, does not need to be Suzuki dealer.

Should be about 5K ohms. THey do fail over time (ohms go high then go open.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thank you for the info, I can't tell you how much that helps. I've got the bike on the road and our riding season looks like it might be real short this year (in Idaho). So I will prep this summer for changing plug wires this fall. I used your website to get materials and tips on the carb rebuild, and all I can say is you guys are great! I will be back soon, hopefully with pics.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Mr. RIDMBIKS,

You'll have to gently chip away at the epoxy on the coils to pull out the old plug wires. Be careful not to damage the spike in the bottom of the connection holes.

Then push the new wires in and epoxy in place.

Replacing the spark plug caps are easy. See the guide on my little website. The wire set at Z1Enterprises.com is a good choice. Don't use suppression wire, just the 5K plug caps.
              Cliff,

Thanks for the pics! I've been wondering also how those wires were fit into there. Looks like I have yet another Z1 purchase and project to carry-out, though, I did just trim off 1/4" from my existing wires and put the caps back on.

Comment

Done!

I ended up replacing the plug wires earlier than anticipated. BIG DIFFERENCE IN SPARK!!!! Putting the pluge wires in was easy. Getting the deep one OUT not so much. I ended up using the lathe to make myself a miniature apple corer to get the deep set wire out of both coils. But the bike is starting and running excellent now. THANKS GUYS!!!

Comment

Is there a specific epoxy that you should use/not use?

Comment

I'll be performing this repair today - installing new spark plug wires from Z1. What type of epoxy is recommended?

Comment

Id use the JB Weld Marine Weld. Gives a good water proof bond and has a bit longer working time than 5 min epoxies. Clean the wire and coil with isop alcohol and let the JB set up over night. Most JB is good up to 400f-500f and you'll be way below that.

J-B Weld epoxies and adhesives create the world's strongest bond for your repair job, allowing you to be your strongest self.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Great, I'll pick some up today. Thank you!

Comment

I don't know how permanent the marine weld is, but I'd tend toward something that will be fairly easy to scrape away again if the plug wires need to be replaced later on down the line or if the first effort was not a success.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                            I don't know how permanent the marine weld is but I'd tend toward something that will be fairly easy to scrape away again if the plug wires need to be replaced later on down the line or if the first effort was not a success.
                            Good point, but Id still want to use something permanent and weather proof that wont come loose. Heres another one ive used that I like. Marine Goop. Good vibration resistance.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Just to clarify, and before I apply the epoxy (hah), no epoxy goes down near the spike? It is only applied to the hole area after inserting the spark plug wire, correct? I couldn't tell when I was scraping if there was any type of adhesive down in the hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X