Carb dip in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb dip in Canada?

Been looking,asking and generally being frustrated trying to find it here.Checked Yamaha Canada's site for they'res.Nothing.No stores seem to have it.Would guess the mail would not be happy shipping it+the $ to would be prohibitive.Suggestions are welcome,border hopping on Vancouver Island is cost prohibitive to

Same problem here, although I did not really look hard enough, but I have been involved in the motor trade since I came out of school, and I have never seen or used carb dip here.
    best alternative is good scrubbing with Cleen Green and then a good working over with carb cleaner in an aerosol can, with all the appropriate poking with wire and pipe cleaners and the like.
    Oh yes, I also boiled mine for 30min, in plain water on the stove, you will be amazed at the crud that still came off, after the cleaning.
    Just be aware of possible discolouration when boiling, I was painting mine anyway so it did not matter, if you ane not, I might skip the boiling process.

Comment

Acetone and circa 1850 furniture stripper.

Comment

Here's a tip from landshark from when I was looking, I ended up using the Yamalube stuff though.

50/50 petrol and metho, its an old mechanics trick, worked very well for me.
        But soak the sh1t out of them, and follow all the guidelines on here(i am pretty sure you will anyway).
        use a compressor and a can of carby cleaner on the nooks and crannies.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Most auto supply jobber places can have it or can get it..... KLEEN FLO 652..... or 653, its stinks and is really corrosive, I dont store it in the garage.
          I bought 8 litres of it and decided to put it in a 20 litre pail so I could have the lid on when the parts basket was in it. I used a steel anti freeze pail but the dip ate through it in a couple of months.
          Last edited by derwood; 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
            Most auto supply jobber places can have it or can get it..... KLEEN FLO 652..... or 653, its stinks and is really corrosive, I dont store it in the garage.
            I bought 8 litres of it and decided to put it in a 20 litre pail so I could have the lid on when the parts basket was in it. I used a steel anti freeze pail but the dip ate through it in a couple of months.
            http://www.kleenflo.com/en/productpages/651.htm
            Hmmmmm...can you get 651 the 4l size?.

Comment

Have AZR strap a can on the back when he comes home next week from Nevada
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have found the best solution to this problem is to use Yamaha Carb Dip in a ratio of 1:1 with water and simmer the carbs and parts for about 30 minutes. The simmering of the solution seems to loosen the crud but does not affect the throttle shaft bushes.

BEFORE and AFTER pictures:

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Have AZR strap a can on the back when he comes home next week from Nevada
                  Yeah right

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  I have found the best solution to this problem is to use Yamaha Carb Dip in a ratio of 1:1 with water and simmer the carbs and parts for about 30 minutes. The simmering of the solution seems to loosen the crud but does not affect the throttle shaft bushes.
                  Yamaha doesn't have it in Canada.It's in the OP.Watching other dip thread there was a heavy suggestion not to boil it.

Comment

I've always used lacquer thinners, available at Can. Tire, Wal Mart or any paint store. Only leave the carb in for 4 hours or so. It will strip everything & leave the carb looking great. Then liberally spray all jet openings with carb cleaner, blow them out, then replace all the o rings.
                    This has worked wonderfully for me for years.

Paul
                    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Just talked to West-Can Auto Parts Plus, as they show themselves as Kleen Flo distributors on there web site. Not in stock but they can order it for you.
                      Their phone number is 604 434 7707.
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

I bought a 4 liter can of Kleen Flo 651 at Alder Auto Parts, here in Aldergrove, last summer. They have it in stock right now- $50. Hope this helps! Randy.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          Just talked to West-Can Auto Parts Plus, as they show themselves as Kleen Flo distributors on there web site. Not in stock but they can order it for you.
                          Their phone number is 604 434 7707.
                          Originally posted by randallscott View Post
                          I bought a 4 liter can of Kleen Flo 651 at Alder Auto Parts, here in Aldergrove, last summer. They have it in stock right now- $50. Hope this helps! Randy.
                          Prefer a Island supplier if possible.Going to check JB locally.Only place I haven't checked yet that I really should haveHave a brand link to Klean Flo.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I have heard of using Simply Green and some have soaked the carbs in PineSol. This would be the one with pine oil in it as it will not damage o-ring or plastic parts. Some have used Ultra sonic cleaners as well.

Comment

Partsource carries a product called "Releasall" a degreaser that seemed to work well for my carbs (though they didn't seem that dirty to begin with). It comes in a 4L Black jug. I think I've seen it at TSC and Canadian Tire as well but I can't remember for sure. It seemed to be safe on any rubber and plastic parts that it contacted as it is biodegradable.

For cleaning thicker stuff (like in the corners of the float bowls), and for the passages I used Gunk carb cleaner in an aerosol can. Make sure you get a can with the straw attachment and make sure you WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. It sounds like a geek thing to say but you definitely don't want a clogged jet splashing carb cleaner back in your eye and screwing up your vision for the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
                              X