Some assembly required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some assembly required

Well, this time out, I called on a Craiglist ad about a Suzuki.
    '92 GSX1100G
    After talking on the phone with the owner for over an hour, it came up that he was looking for a smaller/less powerful bike for he and his wife to ride together.
    So, as my GS850G is too small and under-powered for me, I offered it in trade for his non-running since 2006 bike.
    He showed interest and I rode the 850 the 55 or so miles to his house today.
    It didn't hurt at all that the roads to his house were some of the best twisties that we have around here.
    As GSexpress is always up for a road trip to seek out the ellusive Suzuki's that we all love,
    he followed behind in his PU with ramp and all necessary holding devices.

He likes the 850 and we struck a deal. Even trade.

Here's what we found:

As both bikes only have 16,700 miles on them, I think that we both did well.
    What are the collective's thoughts?

Daniel

it's Obama's fault !

Comment

Naturally.

Comment

Another pic...

Daniel

Comment

Want

10 characters.

Comment

Oooops, 15,000 miles.

I'll clean it up a bit tomorrow and see if I can get it running perhaps...

Daniel

Comment

Like they say, there's one born every minute...........

Comment

So, I made a bad trade?

Specifications of 40 000 motorcycles made 1894-2024. Pictures. Rider comments.

Daniel

Comment

Its a close comparison to the 850 except for maintenance costs and reliability...

Comment

Daniel, shoot marvinsc a PM (Scott) he had one. As far as I know he enjoyed it thoroughly, though he had a rather rough get off on his a few years back at brown county. And sometime after that, it developed a second gear issue. I don't think the get off was related. From what I understand the motor is derived from earlier oilcooled GSXR/Katana stuff, with the shaft drive grafted in. They're just as heavy as your 850, but gobs more power. The people that have em, from what I've seen, generally seem to like em. I don't think they were made for very long, and I don't think many other zooks shared much in the way of parts so finding stuff may be a little tough, but I believe that the final drive assembly was the same as a GS, or at least close enough that they uses the same rear hub spline. I think ya did fine. I see those pop up from time to time on CL. Specimens in good nick go for a grand or two more than a nice GS, so if ya don't have to put much in it, you should be well ahead, and once you sort the suspension (as usual, the stock stuff is pretty crappy) you should have a very very enjoyable power monster.

Comment

Nice looking ride all put back together.

Did the PO say when the paint was done and why? Also did he give any information to the condition before he left it sit?

All in all I think you will like it, I gave 1200 for a maroon 1991 last September that was in turn key condition with a little fading on the paint.

As for getting her back in shape, as TCK mentioned, the suspension on them is horribly soft. I am only 160 LB an the forks bottomed out all the time, fork seals lasted two days. And the rear spring is super soft however it looks like yours might have been changed out at some point due to it being yellow, the spring on mine is black.

Couple points on the carbs. Not sure if you know or not but this bike has a fuel pump. Shocked me at first being a carbureted bike but it is there on the left side under the side cover to the rear of the fuel tap. I found carb kits on ebay that are pretty complete here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...item2c57f354b4
                      Also found out the o-rings that go between the carb boots and the head are the same as the large ones (38mm) Robert Barr sells and the stainless hardware is the same size too M6x1x16. As with everything else Suzuki turned out they were jetted a wee bit lean. I ended up turning out my mixture screws about 3/4 more and shimmng the needles by adding a 3mm stainless washer under the clip.

While your at it give the slave cylinder for the clutch a good looking over. I had to rebuild mine as it was seeping brake fluid. Parts are still available from Suzuki and are not expensive. If you don't have a vacuum bleeder the clutch can be a pain.

Forgot to add, the bikes are super smooth. They have a counterbalancer, the engine is rubber mounted and the handle bars are rubber isolated at the triple.

Look forward to hearing what you think once you get her running. I like mine but it is completely different from my gs1100gl. The gsx likes to run like hell but takes some persuasion to turn quickly. Not that it wont it is just going to feel heavier in the turns than your old 850. I know my 1100GL turns much quicker and it is fully dressed, vetter and hard bags
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Congrats. looks like a beautiful bike. I'm curious though. What is the riding position like, compared to your 850 ?
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Those engines are supposed to be both smooth (counterbalanced) and very strong. I think you did fine in the trade.

I'd spend some time going though the basics like the carbs before trying to ride it around. Like any old bike a little work up front pays off in less hassle later.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You done good Bubba! I a bit envious. Cheers.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Still have to do all of the usual GS fixes.
                              Carbs are number 1.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X