No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the broken tabs, it would probably be easier to find a whole unbroken tailpiece. Keep up the good work.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

You are probably correct on that, I just found a crack where the left turn signal attaches to as well, it's just a crack and could be fixed up, but the 3 tabs.....hmmm

the only saving grace here is, the tabs really don't hold much, just the plastic for the cover for the small trunk? space, so it's one of those, do I really need to fix it...

well enough for today, back at it tomorrow.....

Comment

Hmmmmmm I wonder who might have 3 tails with unbroken tabs

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          Hmmmmmm I wonder who might have 3 tails with unbroken tabs
          Talk to me my good man.......Give me the details, ohhh please don't keep me in suspense.....

Save me from having to order from LA or Cali....

Will it be sanded and prepped and ready for painting....LOL

Any ideas on getting the dents out of the tank, or do I just bondo over the dings and smooth it out, I was thinking of calling those guys who do those repair jobs on cars by hitting the dent from the back side, I just don't think they will have the room to work and use their tools, just a thought
          Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            Talk to me my good man.......Give me the details, ohhh please don't keep me in suspense.....

Save me from having to order from LA or Cali....

Will it be sanded and prepped and ready for painting....LOL

Any ideas on getting the dents out of the tank, or do I just bondo over the dings and smooth it out, I was thinking of calling those guys who do those repair jobs on cars by hitting the dent from the back side, I just don't think they will have the room to work and use their tools, just a thought
            Have

A black one

A red one

And a silver one.
            No they are not sanded and prepped.That is the fun I will leave to you as I have enough to do with my Skunk project.
            I just bondo'd over stuff on my tank but there was nothing very deep.Heard good things here about the Ding King,might want to look into it.
            PM or email me at snooksdad@gmail.com to work out getting you the tail.

Comment

PM sent

I didn't think I would get that lucky that they would be sanded and prepped...LOL

But hey I just might get some (a) tail

Cheers

Comment

OK, so a little more work tonight, and I mean a little, but it took almost forever, and it's still not complete, as I don't know how to get the air box out it just won't go........am I missing something ?

anyways here are a few pics of what has come out, and what needs still to come out

the lovely carbs......have to do a full rebuild on these guys for sure....

the intake side, and the second on from the right, top screw almost stripped on me, had to use vise grips to grab it and break the hold it had, but finally got it out, lucky me

Need new rubber for sure, it's as flat as a pancake

the air snorkel, and the torn condom....where to get a new one ?

and the box that won't come out

Comment

You have to remove the boots,cam tensioner and loosen all the engine bolts then slide the engine forward as far as possible.Told that works but I just removed the engine every time I did it.
                  Can get a filter here
                  5.FILTER 13780-31310 (replaces 13780-31300) 1$32.72$24.94 http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche_select.asp
                  Ordered a bunch of 1000 parts off them and got a good deal on shipping to Canada.Beats the crazy parts prices in Canada.
                  Don't do pods unless you want to have a lesson in rejetting.Can get it to run right with them I guess but as much as the airbox is a PITA I'd rather have it.

Comment

WOW, that is gonna be a lot of work, just to get an air box out, I did remove the boots, after the pic I took, cam tensioner ? I guess that is the little thing near the bottom with a spring attached to it, kind has a knob that half turns. I guess I have to remove the exhaust first, good thing it has to come off any ways.

I guess there is still more to go......

Thanks for the tip on the filter

and I didn't power wash the engine or the rest of the bike, before I removed the carbs, now I have to plug the holes really good on the intake, so as I don't get water in there. Anything I should spray the bike down with before I use the power wash....?

I guess power washing will be OK, even if I get everything wet, as it will have time to dry over the winter....

Cheers and Thanks again....

I am really tempted to go with the pods, I don't mind the jetting, figured it should be done since I have the Yosh pipe already, but I will give it some more thought

Comment

Thing with pods is they don't really make more power.Mostly they make more noise so it seems faster.Did a "desnorkle" mod on my SV650S,a ton more induction noise and i felt like the engine was doing more.OK for a day or so then I put the snorkel back on.It was not worth the racket.Belive me when I forgot to put the box in when we where putting Old Yeller back togther I was tempted to go pods.I am happy I did not,but that's me.

Comment

maybe I just leave the box where it is, clean around it as best I can, and take it from there. I might not need to do a full tear down of the bike, it looks really good, just a lot of old oil and grime that needs to be cleaned up. And maybe a touch here and there of some paint.

Cheers

Comment

Well no new work on the bike, right now, I am at work, but I did make an order for all of this....

CV 'BS' series carb O-ring kit, shipped outside of U.S. $16.00

Bowl drain O-rings (only with CV Carb kit purchase) $0.01

Viton Intake boot O-ring set, large (38MM) $3.91

Additional postage for outside U.S. $0.90

20mm Stainless fastener kit, $4.85 (1.65 s/h) $6.50

Additional postage outside the US or Canada $1.75

and yes new ones of these as well

getting there bit by bit.....

Comment

I've read here and there that the airbox can be removed without pulling the head but I fail to see how it's possible. My 84 Katana is virtually the same bike (but with prettier clothing) and I'm telling you I went the rounds trying to get the carbs in and out for cleaning. Do it right, do it once, and don't mess with pods. Like SV Sooke says, as much a PITA as the air box is I'd rather have it than pods.

Looks like you've got a good handle on what you need to do; keep it up and when you're done ride the wheels off that thing!

Comment

@Smokinapankake - I think the air box will stay where it is....you are one of many that says to leave it where it is and how it is, just do the the carbs the right way, and all will be good...

I think your all correct, it's a PITA, and I really don't want to do it,,,remove the air box that is....so it will probably stay.

I am not planning on removing the entire motor, unless I really have to, but at this point I don't see a need other to may be paint it properly ? Unless there are words of wisdom as to why I need to take it apart, and why I would be doing that, is there something in the engine I really need to do ?

I got one bolt off the headers this afternoon at lunch and loosened one more, man they are on tight, and I have this bad feeling, that one ore more are gonna strip on me........they are allen head bolts, I believe 8mm, and are in good.......spraying lots of lube and taking my time....

Pics to follow....

Comment

Well tonight was good and bad....

I have taken off the exhaust, but I ran into a problem, and I do hope I can remedy it, without having to take the motor out......

so here is how it went

to get this

I had to take out these

and as you can see one is shorter from all the others, because part of it is still in here

So that is issue one, the other is the pipe itself, is this too far gone, or is there hope ?

I would really like to keep this pipe......it's so cool

Need to get the dents out, paint her up, polish up that tip a bit, and she should be good for another 25 years.....

Tell me I am not crazy....

Comment

Working...
                                X