X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 650E Rolling Cafe Build.

CURRENT STATE:

Well, I started with this:

And so far I'm at this: (carb teardown/soak/rebuild, euro bars, cafe tail)

But soon I will be adding this:

As of now the plan is:
    X - New chain/sprockets (spent $120)
    X - New front and rear rubber (spend $150)
    X - SS brake lines for the front (spent $90)
    X - K&N Air Filters (I'm thinking the double ones, not pods) (spent $70)
    X - Dynojet Stage 3 (spent $100)
    X - All Balls bearings custom made to mount the front end (free)
    X - Take care of all the loose ends on the front end swap (steering stops, headlight ears, ignition mounting, etc) (spent $25)
    X - Nix passenger pegs/stock pegs and fab up some rear sets (spent $62)
    X - New tank off something a little more sporty (some kind of E model) (spent $64)
    X - New rear springs to hopefully firm up and raise the rear (spent $90)
    X - 4-1 Header if I can find one for a 650 thats not a ****ty mac (spent $300 on BUB)
    - Seat pad (est $40)
    X - Relocate battery and electronics (free)
    - Eventually an electronic speedo and tach (est $200)

X = Done.
    / = Here but not but on.
    M = In the mail.

So as you can see, I've got a long road ahead, but as of yet, the bike hasn't been down for any more than 3 consecutive days, and I hope to keep it that way throughout the whole build. This isn't gonna be a high dollar build, but I'll try my best to make it a good quality build, one that I will enjoy riding for years to come.

Lemme know what you think.

And just for kicks, heres what I drive while the bikes down:

Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2012, 12:07 AM.

Wow, what a difference already, just with the seat and the bars, I love that front end, that is going to trasform her into another bike altogether.
    Following with interest

Comment

I like the cafe tail. Is that a custom fabrication, or did you buy it someplace?

Comment

Nice! Looking better already
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I got it from Roccitycafe, great quality glass. I cut a piece of plywood out to match the shape of the seat to go between the seat and the frame.

Thanks for the interest guys, I'll get this this moving in a jiffy.

Comment

Your gonna add a box of Keystone Light to it?!?

I kid. You hooked my interest with end few pics. You planning on doing a swing arm swap to match? Maybe an aluminum box unit? I think it would look loads better than the stocker and then you could run a matching wider new wheel.

Cool project. Good Luck.

Comment

haha there's two kinds of redneck cheese!

If it were me and I was wanting an actual "cafe" bike out of it I would get some modest clubmans, drop the front a couple inches in the triples, and get a set of shocks maybe an inch longer.

Comment

Anyone know if any other size GS exhaust will fit the 650? The only ones I can find are MAC's, and I'd really rather have a Kerker or V&H or even Basani if I can find one.

One last thing, how wide of a rear tire can I fit safely on the stock rear rim?\\

Thanks guys.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2011, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Well, chain and sprockets are on (went 3 up in the rear since I don't ride highway). And some new shocks, rear sets, and air filters are in the mail. Next up are the bearings and brake lines to get the front end on... Very excited.

Comment

Put the new rear shocks on the back. They're just knock offs, but from the reviews I've read they seem to be okay, plus apparently they're made by Progressive. Don't know how true that'll be. Nonetheless, they'll be better than the stockers no matter what. You can also see my new sprocket/chain!

Old.

New on right side.

(little fun with the setting sun)

Everything went great on the right side, so I moved to the left. And then, **** hit the fan.

Unfortunately, this happened...

So, as of now I'm thinking I'll get a thread file, and, as there's enough threads to thread a nut on about 3/4 way, I'm thinking of either tightening a nut on all the way and drill a hole through the nut and the bolt and cotter pin it or put a self-locking/nylon nut on backwards to the nylons are towards the inside. What do y'all think?
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Ahhrrr....damn rotten luck there, no big deal though, Jennifer has the same problem, cut it off, drill through and fit a bolt from the inside, mine has been like that for years with no problem.

Comment

What welds did you cut to slide the stud out?

Comment

I didn't cut any welds, I just cut what remained of the stud off flush.

If you look at the pic below, you will see,I cut the stud off where I have marked in red, the part that is the same thickness as the eye of the shock, then drilled through, and used a bolt the same thickness as the old stud, that fits into the eye of the shock, put an acorn nut on and no one will be able to tell the difference.
                          You can weld the head of the bolt to the frame on the inside to create a permanent fixture if you like, I did not bother, once the shock and the nut are on and tightened, it's going nowhere.
                          Will get some pics of it if you want.

Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Should be a 2.5" wheel so 130 is your max. I've seen a 140/80 mounted but it looked pinched.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenChekhov View Post
                              Anyone know if any other size GS exhaust will fit the 650? The only ones I can find are MAC's, and I'd really rather have a Kerker or V&H or even Basani if I can find one.

One last thing, how wide of a rear tire can I fit safely on the stock rear rim?\\

Thanks guys.
                              I have a 130 on the back of my '83 650, and although it sits fine width-wise, it has added quite bit of height profile to the tire, so there is definitely some pinching even at that width. IF I could've found one at the price point I was looking for, I would've gone with a 120 again
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X