My 1980 Suzuki GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1980 Suzuki GS1000G

Well I guess it's time to start this thread because I'm finally getting started with the whole project. I'm hoping to get it done in a few months but we'll see.

So I'm working in my driveway as usual, a car stops and a fella comes towards me (not unusual, working on these old bikes in the driveway gets lots of people coming by) and he starts to say I've got one of those in my garage, "want it?" a couple of days later there she sits.

The fancy air pressure 'thingy' and the Yamaha headlight and turn signals have gotta go

A couple of months later I pulled a few things off her.

and then finally today I rip into her.

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

It always amazes me how little you can pull a motorcycle down to

And here's everything in the shed for the night. Everything sure fits in there a lot easier now.

So that's all the easy stuff done. Now for the hard part, but it sure feels good to get this restoration going. I've got a full box of parts from Boulevard Suzuki and a virtually new set of Samsonite bags and rack so she should be ship shape by the time I'm done...I hope.
    Last edited by azr; 01-10-2012, 12:33 AM.
    Rob
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Congrats. The 1000G makes a great tourer. Very comfortable, more so than the 78 for me...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nice score, must be a Karma thing.

I am always amazed at how much space a bike takes up once it's separated into a million parts on shelves and in boxes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

While you have it apart, do you happen to have some 1074 pistons and a 1074 cylinder laying around?
          77 more cc's won't hurt a thing!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Congrats. The 1000G makes a great tourer. Very comfortable, more so than the 78 for me...
            My thoughts exactly Dan. My 79 850G was fantastic, you could ride that bike all day and just keep going. With the larger bike and hard bags I'm hoping this ones going be a touring bike to last for years.
            Rob

Comment

I was waiting for this project! sure looks like it's going to be a bit of fun involved. enjoy it.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

You said he asked if you wanted it...what did you pay???
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I bet he gave it to him for nothing.....

Comment

Dang, when you get after it, you really get after it!

Let's see you put that bad boy back together in a day hehe!
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

The snow came the other day so I figure what better to do....

Just wanted to clean all the grease and grime off to have this done....

Fresh Cadmium platting. There's nothing more exciting than this. I had this done on my 78 1000 last winter and still looks like new. Well worth the $150. Happy with the price, it was a very large ice cream bucket of 'stuff'. It actually turns out I didn't need to clean anything but it gave me a chance to try boiling with lemon juice. I threw in the Pine Sol as well because I was also boiling some carbs but I don't think I'll do that again. The potent Pine Sol smell came into the house and I paid too much of a price Stripping the valves off the head today/tomorrow and going to soda blast it all. Have new valve seals to put in then I'm going to measure the piston rings to see if I need new ones. I'm really pondering if I should just spend the $120 for new rings or not. Guess I'll find out. The pistons and sleeves look like new though, not what I was expecting. Slowly getting there.
                      Last edited by azr; 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM.
                      Rob

Comment

A bit more done thanks to the motivation of "850 Combat" as this arrived in the mail today.

Off with the old.

Not exactly sure what the removable square is but my first thought is that it's a simple way to strengthen the foam in your seat without having to re foam the entire thing.

The pans in fairly good shape, shouldn't take much at all to get it looking like new. Not sure what is the best filler, if any, on the metal to smooth things out.

All in all I'm pretty happy with what I found. Just wish the weather would warm up a bit to do some painting, 5 celcius (40 F).
                        Rob

Comment

Nice project. How do you post all the large pics? Im still new to the bulletin board thing....

Comment

azr, for the pan, I would just take a wire wheel to it, prime it with red oxide primer and paint.

Going to be watching this build and wishing you clear sailing towards its completion.
                            BYW, 1000G's are sweet!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclepath834 View Post
                              Nice project. How do you post all the large pics? Im still new to the bulletin board thing....
                              how to post pictures

follow this link

Comment

Working...
                              X