Air screw tip broke off in Carb HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air screw tip broke off in Carb HELP!!

So I have been slowly rebuilding my 1980 550 GSL. In doing the carbs I was tearing apart the carbs. The number 4 carb air screw tip is broken off and down inside its little hole. I went ahead and dipped all the carbs thinking I will deal with it as I start assembly. Now I am ready to assemble have the tutorial up and new orings ready! Just cannot figure out 1. how to remove air screw tip that is still lodged in the hole. 2. Where to get a new air screw. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Thanks
    Ray

Do an Advanced search selecting titles only for screw tip and you'll find a few posts about options to remove it.

As far as new ones, have you checked the usual providers (Z1 Enterprises - you should call as the site doesn't have everything, Boulevard, etc) listed in your welcome package you received from Basscliff?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Cowboy I will do that

Comment

I had this issue with my '79 GS550, which uses the VM carbs.

I had a hell of a time sourcing new screws, but ultimately ended up ordering carb kits from a GS750. I can get the exact part numbers later.

The reason I did this was because the carbs are very similar, and the kits were the same price as ordering the screws by themselves. I now have a whole bunch of spare parts for the VM carbs

Comment

Originally posted by Radtad View Post
          So I have been slowly rebuilding my 1980 550 GSL. In doing the carbs I was tearing apart the carbs. The number 4 carb air screw tip is broken off and down inside its little hole. I went ahead and dipped all the carbs thinking I will deal with it as I start assembly. Now I am ready to assemble have the tutorial up and new orings ready! Just cannot figure out 1. how to remove air screw tip that is still lodged in the hole. 2. Where to get a new air screw. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Thanks
          Ray
          Do you have VM or CV carbs?

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Had this happen to me on my 850. How I got it out was by grinding a right angle pick to a short small point. Stick the pick into the hole then put a pair of pliers to cutters under it. Use that pliers as a leverage point for the pick to push the broken piece out.

Comment

CV carbs tried several ways and no success as of yet
              Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Not familiar with the access you have to the other side of the hole on the CV carbs. I was able to nudge a fuel screw tip out of a VM carb with a dental pick and a little help from bringing it up to boiling temperature.

Comment

Harbor Freight has the set of dental pics for a few bucks.

Use them as they are very sharp and will fit into the hole.

Just don't push then in so hard that you widen the hole in the carb body.

Nic
                  83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

You may have already tried this... I got lucky and didn't need it

Comment

Originally posted by Lulu7404 View Post
                      You may have already tried this... I got lucky and didn't need it
                      http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ew_removal.pdf
                      That's the angle I went in with a nearly straight dental pick. Boiling the carb body definitely made it pop out easier(or I just loosened it up with my test poke before hand).

Comment

Good news it is out finally took a little drill bit that I use when I build 1/32 slot cars and hand drilled it out. Had to purchase two rebuild kits from Z1 (Thankful that someone at least has some even if they are after market) I got two kits because the number three carb air screw was a little chewed up on the head and might as well replace at the same time. Thank you all for your advise. Did try all of them broke 4 dental pick trying to remove.

Thanks
                        Ray

Comment

Working...
                        X