Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German made SERIES R/R: Silent-Hektik

A German made SERIES R/R that has been around for about 30 years

#1 Switches in and out the high side of the battery with minimal load. "High Side Control"

#2 Switches in and out the low side of the battery with minimal load. "Low Side Control"

#3 Between the poles, short circuits with extreme high load.

interpretation: The Compufire CF55402 or CE-605 is similar to either #1 or #2 for all intents and purposes those are all SERIES R/R's

Last edited by posplayr; 03-04-2012, 03:17 AM.

Comes with a 27 month warranty.
    Makes you dread the odd choice of months.
    I mean month 28 is hell I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      Comes with a 27 month warranty.
      Makes you dread the odd choice of months.
      I mean month 28 is hell I bet.
      Nah, it's the same as a 24 month warranty here Jeep, it's just cause they use the metric system

Comment

When doing my own research I read that shunt RR's were chosen over Series as the failure mode of the series would lead to very high voltages being applied to bikes system...
        Was that a load of bull or?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Nah, it's the same as a 24 month warranty here Jeep, it's just cause they use the metric system
          Pretty sure Jeep has a touch of familiarity with the metric system.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Base ten? I got yer base ten right here!

Seriously do we buy the germanian unit or the compufire.

Having pushed a bike or two it is nothing to shell out a couple of Robert Bordens to avoid a heart attack.

As an aside Borden gave Canada income tax a natty new way of quickly raising war funds and screwing citizens.

Which unit?

That German thing looks so well made it is scary.
            How did they win a war being so very very skilled?

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              When doing my own research I read that shunt RR's were chosen over Series as the failure mode of the series would lead to very high voltages being applied to bikes system...
              Was that a load of bull or?

This is a little outside my area but I found this. SCR's tend to fail SHORT and MOSFETS tend to fail OPEN. The statistics from the test are that this is true 9 out fo 10 times for each type of device.

SCR-output devices can be expected to fail

short at high temperature, while MOSFET-output
              devices can be expected to fail open.
              I recall speaking to the Cycle Electric engineer and he mentioned that the CE SERIES R/R's use SCR's. So it would seem that then a failure would have the stator output just shorting into the battery and overcharging. From my reading I had assumed that most of these newer devices were MOSFET based (like the FH0012A and the Compufire) so they would tend to fail safer (i.e. OPEN) where there would be no charging at all.

So I think it depends as much on the type of device being used in the R/R, but a SCR based SERIES might be an issue unless some design precautions are made. The Compufire is so small in comparison I suspect it is MOSTFET based as the voltage drops and there for power dissipation of a MOSTFET is much better.

http://www.proheatinc.com/products/c...ure/SCRMan.pdf
              AL ROMAN EFFECT, THE- In the event of an SCR failure the failure mode will
              always occur in the mode that is most detrimental to the process. In other
              words an SCR can fail either short or open circuit, The Al Roman Effect predicts
              that the failure mode will be the mode that the user does not want to happen.
              The Al Roman Effect is why overtemperature protection and/or a shut down device is recommended when using an SCR.

Last edited by posplayr; 03-05-2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up Jim
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I bought the Compufire for my bike thats good no?
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    I bought the Compufire for my bike thats good no?
                    You are good

Comment

Working...
                    X