Speedo drive gear ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo drive gear ratios

Has anyone measured the various gear ratios of the different speedo drives?
    I'm asking the question as I've fitted a 17" GSXR wheel ( with it's speedo drive) to my 1100 kat.
    Will my Kat speedo indicate the correct speed?
    What about using the 18" wheel and speedo from the first generation GSXRs?
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

I believe that if you match the speedo gear drive with the right wheel, you will be OK. The ratio is most probably 2240:60.

I have found this on another site:

2240:60 means that the speedometer cable, coming from the front wheel revolves at 2240 RPM at 60MPH.

That's a standard in nearly all Asian bikes. The gears in the front wheel are calibrated for the stock wheel, no matter what size it is. If it's stock, the speedo cable will turn at 2240RPM at 60MPH.

Any generic speedo is made so that it registers for 2240:60. Unless you are using a non-stock wheel, it will read correctly.
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Comment

Me confused! I thought 224/60 was the gear ratio in speedo unit (seems standard on lots of bikes) so depending on tire size the readout unit was fiddled with to give sorta correct reading.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
        I believe that if you match the speedo gear drive with the right wheel, you will be OK. The ratio is most probably 2240:60.

I have found this on another site:

2240:60 means that the speedometer cable, coming from the front wheel revolves at 2240 RPM at 60MPH.

That's a standard in nearly all Asian bikes. The gears in the front wheel are calibrated for the stock wheel, no matter what size it is. If it's stock, the speedo cable will turn at 2240RPM at 60MPH.

Any generic speedo is made so that it registers for 2240:60. Unless you are using a non-stock wheel, it will read correctly.
        I knew the Japanese liked standardization but this is amazing
        Many thanks for this great input
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Me confused! I thought 224/60 was the gear ratio in speedo unit (seems standard on lots of bikes) so depending on tire size the readout unit was fiddled with to give sorta correct reading.
          The speedo drive gear combined with the matching wheel/tire will output 2240:60 towards the speedo.
          If you change the front wheel, you must have the matching drive gear to go with it.
          2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
          1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
          2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
          s)

Comment

Bump with a ratio question. What's a "2:1" ratio fora speedo? How does that relate to the 2240/60 issue? Shopping for a new speedo and there are 1:1 and 2:1 listed.

TIA

Comment

1:1 and 2:1 are for Harley and some newer Triumph cycles (and maybe some other newer scoots).

It wouldn't be accurate at all on a GS.

Comment

thread resurrection.

am i correct in assuming that any speedometer with a 2240:60 ratio will work on my '82 GS850G? saw this on ebay after doing a "2240:60" search:

Comment

Working...
                X