Idle screw nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle screw nightmare

So I recently cleaned my Carbs and re-adjusted the floats"which were way off", and reassembled everything. Bike started and ran... Ok, but didn't want to idle at all. I checked the #1 carb idle screw and it was seated and as the Carbs were mounted I then checked the #4 carb and the idle screw was stripped. I tried to drill it out and sink a drywall screw in it to get it out but no such luck. Does anyone know a good technique for removing this? I am hoping it isn't ruined.

Hi,

Have you tried a left-handed drill bit?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Exactly which screw are you talking about?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Exactly which screw are you talking about?
        I was assuming the "idle mixture" screw. But you know what kind of trouble I get into when I "assume".

BassCliff

Comment

Sounds like you are talking about your sync screws(?) which there are 3 (1screw for #1 carb, 1screw for #2 and #3 and one for the #4 carb), so if you messed with those, your snyc is all screw up. And if you are talking about the screws on top front part of the carb those are you idle mixture settings. There is only one idle screw for all the carbs and its the big sucker underneath with a knurled knob in the middle.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Sounds like you are talking about your sync screws(?) which there are 3 (1screw for #1 carb, 1screw for #2 and #3 and one for the #4 carb), ....
            To clarify, with the CV carbs, the #3 carb is the "master" carb and has no vacuum sync adjustment. You synchronize #1, #2, and #4 to #3.

The vacuum adjust screw between #1 and #2 (above) will adjust the butterfly valve in #1.

The vacuum adjust screw between #2 and #3 will adjust the butterfly valve in #2.

The vacuum adjust screw between #3 and #4 (above) will adjust the butterfly valve in #4. There is no adjustment for #3.

More information here:

Synchronize Carburetors
            (With the Morgan Carbtune)

BassCliff

Comment

Idle mixture screws, sorry im a newb , but yes, the screw on the top front of each carb. These are used carbs, not original, and new to me. I have since removed the carbs from the bike and found that the #3 carb idle mixture screw is stripped as well, though i havent come near it with my drill. To clarify, its not the threads that are stripped, but the flathead slot... there is nothing there to get a bite on. #1 and #2 are fine, I can back them all the way out. I've read and hopefully did not misunderstand that these screws should be backed out 2 turns from lightly seated. As I found them, #1 and #2 were seated, not backed out at all. Im 90% sure these are Mikuni BS32 carbs, there are pics on my profile. Thanks

Comment

If the slot is stripped, is the top of the screw exposed enough to dremel a new one?

Otherwise, you may need to slowly drill with a left-handed bit until it bites to back the screw out. DO NOT USE AN EZ-OUT. Seriously, those things suck and will break, ruining your carb, destroying your manhood, and crushing your soul.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
                  To clarify, its not the threads that are stripped, but the flathead slot... there is nothing there to get a bite on.
                  Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                  If the slot is stripped, is the top of the screw exposed enough to dremel a new one?
                  They are buried rather far down, but there is an easy way to do it with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel.

Just cut a slot in the tower, making sure you are as close to the middle as possible.

Both of these carbs have been slotted for screw removal.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No sir, the screw is far too deep to dremel a new slot. I'll try the left hand drill bit method... Would applying heat help at all?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
                      No sir, the screw is far too deep to dremel a new slot. I'll try the left hand drill bit method... Would applying heat help at all?
                      Did you look at Steves post, when you dremal it you will have to slot the tower to get to the screw , but no worries it has been done many times and it works, I would stay away from them with a drill, odds are with the drill you'll be looking for another carb. Look at the pics Steve posted it will work
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks for posting that Steve, looks like the best solution considering my resources. I'll post results as soon as I get a chance. One more question, does anyone know where I can find a replacement idle mixture screw should I need one?

Comment

There is a good chance yours might be re-useable, but send me your address, I will send you a screw (or two, if you need them).

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            There is a good chance yours might be re-useable, but send me your address, I will send you a screw (or two, if you need them).

Wow, one to two free screws from Steve. You should be honored.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              Wow, one to two free screws from Steve. You should be honored.
                              Would you be any more amused if I said "screw you"?

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X