Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choke plunger dust seals (external to the carb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke plunger dust seals (external to the carb)

The dust seal on one of my choke plungers crumbled to pieces as I'm tearing the carbs down for a proper dip and new orings. The other three are hard and brittle, so i'd like to replace them too. I'm already planning to get new carb and intake orings from cycleorings.com but wanted to see if anyone had a source for these boots.

I've searched and read about speculation that they might interchange from other mikuni models, but didn't see anything definitive.

Mike's XS carries these for some other sizes of the Mikuni BS(CV) series, and lists two different part numbers (though one of the part numbers is listed under multiple different carb sizes).

Anyone know for sure if one of these would work on my BS32's?

Thanks!

I think all of the BS cabs use the same size... CAll and ask Mike?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well geez, that's a crazy idea! I just ass-u-me-d that he wouldn't know about our carbs. Duh.

Edit: Couldn't find a phone #, but sent an email to him. I'll post back what I find for future reference.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Got an email back from mike's, they're not sure. Anyone else been able to track these down?

Comment

Look here... I can't see it in the picture... but maybe you can find it. You have CV carbs, right? Most any other CV carb with the same choke setup should work... if, indeed they have boots. Maybe even the ones from a VM would work. Pictures??

Comment

Here are the two seals from mike's xs... I'll grab some pics of mine in a few mind.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-35.html

Choke Plunger Dust Seal

Choke Plunger Dust Seal - Fits: 1980-84 XS650 BS34 CV Carb Choke Plunger

OEM Reference # • 306-14173-00-00

Part #48-5040 $2.50 USD Ea ADD TO CART

Choke Plunger Dust Seal

Choke Plunger Dust Seal - Fits: 1970-79 XS650 BS38 CV Carb Choke Plunger

OEM Reference # • 802-14173-00-00 • 306-14173-00-00

Part #48-5041 $2.50 USD Ea ADD TO CART

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
              Look here... I can't see it in the picture... but maybe you can find it. You have CV carbs, right? Most any other CV carb with the same choke setup should work... if, indeed they have boots. Maybe even the ones from a VM would work. Pictures??

http://www.cycledesignonline.com/fic...1980&fveh=2107
              Yes, mine are the Cv carbs. I've tried checking the parts fiches, but I couldn't see them either.

Comment

Here are some pics of my parts...

Overall appearance of the seal:

Seal Dimensions:

Choke Plunger Retainer (or whatever it's called) dimensions:
                wider part of the lip

narrower part of the lip

height:

inner diameter:

Comment

The boot itself looks pretty damn close to a VM.

Comment

That would make them easier to find if they are. I sent Mikes another email with those pics and measurements to see if they'd be willing to measure their parts for comparison. If anyone else has time to measure the seal on their carbs (vm's or other sizes of bs's), I'd sure appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
                      The boot itself looks pretty damn close to a VM.
                      I can't seem to find the thread, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Comment

I haven't looked for them for the VM's yet... does anyone have a source for them off the top of their head?

Comment

Found It!!!

Just to follow-up, this one was the correct (identical) match:

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-5041.html

Choke Plunger Dust Seal

Choke Plunger Dust Seal - Fits: 1970-79 XS650 BS38 CV Carb Choke Plunger

OEM Reference # • 802-14173-00-00 • 306-14173-00-00

Part #48-5041 $2.50 USD Ea ADD TO CART

Comment

Working...
                          X