Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer problem, again

Hi,

I previously posted that I was having problem with my speedometer on the GS450GA, mainly a whining noise when cold. I cleaned and greased it, as well as other parts. Problem went away for a little while, but is back. Worse, the speedometer is now jumping around when the bike goes faster than 30 or 35 mph. I checked the connections. Seems ok, so might be something else.

Two questions.

Anyone have insights into what is making the speedometer jump around? I suspect that the cable is winding up internally and releasing. If I replace the cable, are the mounts universal? If so, I just need to get the right length. If no, I guess I should get a bike specific cable.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Learning that having an older bike means spending time on the weekends wrenching. Generally don't mind, but at times it is hard to figure out what is the problem and what to do. This forum has been tremendously helpful.

If the is any corrosion or dirt inside the speedo it will not run smoothly./ If the speedo cable is worn out cleaning and lubing won't help for very long. Since the cable is cheaper than the speedo that would be the first thing to replace. If a new cable does not solve the problem, the speedo is the only thing left to fix.

I don't think there is such a thing as a universal speedo cable. Get one specific for your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
      Hi,

I previously posted that I was having problem with my speedometer on the GS450GA, mainly a whining noise when cold. I cleaned and greased it, as well as other parts. Problem went away for a little while, but is back. Worse, the speedometer is now jumping around when the bike goes faster than 30 or 35 mph. I checked the connections. Seems ok, so might be something else.

Two questions.

Anyone have insights into what is making the speedometer jump around? I suspect that the cable is winding up internally and releasing. If I replace the cable, are the mounts universal? If so, I just need to get the right length. If no, I guess I should get a bike specific cable.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Learning that having an older bike means spending time on the weekends wrenching. Generally don't mind, but at times it is hard to figure out what is the problem and what to do. This forum has been tremendously helpful.
      You can get a new cable through your dealer . They are not that expensive or through one of the suppliers that are suggested through the site here.
      34910-44400 CABLE,SPEEDOMET $16.63Here is the part number and price through Babbitts online.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks all. Will replace the cable.

Comment

Mine does the same... let me know if a new cable works for you. I greased mine, helped a little. Now its getting worse.. Thanks!

Comment

Did the new cable help? I'm having similar trouble with a whining noise but my speedo needle is moving really slow and getting stuck around 20-30 mph even when stopped. Any idea if a new cable would help or do I need to take the speedo apart?

Comment

Dont forget to service the gear drive at the wheel.

If you look in the hole where the cable screws in, youll see a fiber plate with 4 little square slots in it. Make a tool that will fit in to the square grabs in that plate and unscrew it. Now the worm gears will slide out and you can clean them.

Also on the input side, ( toward the rim ) you can carefull pry the seal out of the housing and then remove the bigger gear drive and clean the housing from all road grime. Relube it all with some lithium grease and reassemble.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chances are it's coming from the inside of the speedo unit.
                If cleaning and using moly on the innards did not work replace it.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Chances are it's coming from the inside of the speedo unit.
                  If cleaning and using moly on the innards did not work replace it.
                  Both my Speedo & Tach are making winding noises...the tach sounds so bad I had to disconnect because even at idle, it was making a horrible sound.

For me, I'll have to take them apart. I've seen folks rebuild their gauges on here and know it's a tricky task. Someone even broke their glass. I don't wanna break anything but will take pics and start a thread when I do.

I'm sure there are some threads already available and info from BassCliff's page...and I will heed/use all points made by each member's experiences.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I am not saying the speedo drive has anything to do with it..in fact it doesnt. But i bring it up because its probably the most UNTHOUGHT OF part that ever gets serviced. If at all!!
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I never found out why, but my 450 had the same issue. It would whine when cold and the needle bounced all over the place until you held it at const. Speed for a bit. I found that cleaning and greasing the drive on the wheel hub greatly reduced the whining and -somewhat- smoothed out the bouncing.

Comment

A few useful things.

If you over tighten the speedo or tach cable, Or if you bend the cable too hard, you could teak the drive just a bit and the needle will stop moving or respond really slowly.
                        That can be fixed by bending the drive the right way. Although its a completely blind way of fixing it.
                        It has happened to me twice and fixed both times that way.

To open the guages with the least amount of evidence is right on the GSR main page.
                        ( Does anybody ever go there? or just go to the forum section and bookmark it :P)

Anyways, The way to do it is to use a drill press and a cutting wheel.
                        Set the table so that the cutting disk is half way on the gauge and put something under the gauge to prevent from scratching the gauge face.

All you have to do is push the gauge into the disk until its just cutting through. Rotate it all the way around and you will have two gauges.

Do what ever you have to inside it and reassemble with tape or glue or both.

I just used tape on mine. After you put the outside cover over the gauge you cant tell anything was done.

The Bouncing needle is usually caused by lack of dampening. I think there was a small piece of felt that is used to dampen the bell movement.

You can use a drill to drive the gauge or cable to find the wining noises.
                        keep in mind your millage will go up

Here is the link for getting into your gauges.

But don't go as low as in the pictures .

Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                        X