Shock spring compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock spring compressor

I didn't check to see if someone had posted something similiar, but here are a couple of pics of my homemade tool. Working with some used shocks to take apart and not having the tool, I got creative. I took 2 pieces of scrap angle iron maybe 20-24" long and drilled a hole on the end of each piece. Then used a short bolt to create a pivot point, and nailed a short piece of 2"x3" with 16 penny nails to the garage studs for a leverage point. Adjust shock to softest preload setting to reduce effort to compress, stand the shock upright, while sliding in between the angle iron as high up on the spring as possible, with one hand carefully press down on spring (EDITED to add forum required safety disclaimer: only compress an inch or so to allow freeplay for the retainer clip to slide out otherwise if you compress the spring til it don't compress no more this may result in launching your garage into outer space and may cause serious injury or problems such as what happened to Dorothy and Toto sending them to the land of OZ) and with other hand slide the metal retainer clip out, slowly release and remove, then slide spring off and disassemble. You may have to practice a few times to get the hang of it. Some shock springs will be stiffer so longer pieces of angle iron will provide more leverage, or use both hands while a second person carefully removes the clip. The springs will not really shoot off since they are only compressed about an inch or so. Reverse to reassemble while putting retainer clip back on. Obviously some shocks are not rebuildable but you may want to experiment with swapping different/stiffer/softer springs.

Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM.

Brilliant.
    Well done babes.

Xxx

Comment

I use this method as it's much quicker than winding in the proper compressors and as long as you aren't daft it's safe.

There's a nice mod to this method that stops the thing slipping about. On the wooden crosspiece drill a vertical hole in the middle, say 10mm in diameter. Then replace the pivot bolt with a longer one so that the bolt sticks out by an inch or so. pointing upwards. Line this up with the hole in the wood and the thing can't slip around.

And if you glue an old bit of inner tube or milk carton to your angle iron you can use this on shocks with painted springs without fear of marking them.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Does it come with body armour?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Careful, there, Lurch.

I have seen your garage.

You get hold of the wrong set of shocks, you won't compress the spring, you're gonna lift your garage.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just used a vise and my hands....I was able to just pull the spring down enough to slip in the lock. Oh I'm still in need of a frame..
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Does it come with body armour?
              No need to worry. These bike springs aren't anything like the car coil springs that can be dangerous and take fingers off. Besides you'd have to work at hurting yourself anymore than putting your bike on the centerstand....for some people that's dangerous!

Note: see my disclaimer added to original post.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Careful, there, Lurch.

I have seen your garage.

You get hold of the wrong set of shocks, you won't compress the spring, you're gonna lift your garage.

Huh? My garage is solid, still square and seen some serious winds on top of this hill. It's a lot more solid than a lot of sheds some of you guys use as bike shops.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  No need to worry. These bike springs aren't anything like the car coil springs that can be dangerous and take fingers off.
                  Try that on a set of Marzzocchis and the garage wall will go up

I use the $36 dual clamp spring tools you can get on Amazon

Yes, it took the springs off my Stradas no problemo
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely keep this one in mind.

Comment

About 35 years ago I changed a pair of coil springs, using a JC Whitney spring compressor. One of the claws broke while a spring was compressed.

It was impressive.

(I wasn't hurt)
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I don't know but this seems safer to me.

Comment

A piece of wire would prevent the arms from opening accidentally, then it would be totally safe. I've used the strap method before and always felt nervous because of the constant tension on the webbing, although they are rated for more pounds than the spring has in it, but the consequences of that failure could be dramatic. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                            I didn't check to see if someone had posted something similiar, but here are a couple of pics of my homemade tool. Working with some used shocks to take apart and not having the tool, I got creative. I took 2 pieces of scrap angle iron maybe 20-24" long and drilled a hole on the end of each piece. Then used a short bolt to create a pivot point, and nailed a short piece of 2"x3" with 16 penny nails to the garage studs for a leverage point. Adjust shock to softest preload setting to reduce effort to compress, stand the shock upright, while sliding in between the angle iron as high up on the spring as possible, with one hand carefully press down on spring (EDITED to add forum required safety disclaimer: only compress an inch or so to allow freeplay for the retainer clip to slide out otherwise if you compress the spring til it don't compress no more this may result in launching your garage into outer space and may cause serious injury or problems such as what happened to Dorothy and Toto sending them to the land of OZ) and with other hand slide the metal retainer clip out, slowly release and remove, then slide spring off and disassemble. You may have to practice a few times to get the hang of it. Some shock springs will be stiffer so longer pieces of angle iron will provide more leverage, or use both hands while a second person carefully removes the clip. The springs will not really shoot off since they are only compressed about an inch or so. Reverse to reassemble while putting retainer clip back on. Obviously some shocks are not rebuildable but you may want to experiment with swapping different/stiffer/softer springs.

Excellent, and simple, I posted a simular question a while back with little results, I'm going to take this idea and add a place to secure the shock at the bottom to prevent it from sliding one way or another, and as someone else mentioned, maybe a catch to preven the angle iron from un-hinging. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Darned clever!

Comment

Working...
                              X