Can't Find Neutral!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Find Neutral!!!

Got the bike running, cruised around the parking lot and I can't get it into neutral!

I re-routed the clutch cable and adjusted it to spec per the clymer manual.

I don't know how I need to adjust it to fix this...

From searching here I get that the clutch plates need to be flat, and there's some spring that can be 'beefed' up to help, but I don't remember it having this issue before rerouting the clutch.

Adjustment screw in or out?

Cable tension? Too much free-play?

I'm hoping some fellow GS450 owners have some input... Thanks

PS Goes into neutral with engine off.
    '

Don't say, Don't say, Don't say it...
    IT'S IN BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND!
    Oh, dang it, I said it. (I'm just razzing you, I'm really tired because I have been up all night working on computers.)

So, here is most likely your issue:
    First, what do you mean by rerouting the clutch? Do you mean the cable? If so, how did you reroute it and why?
    Check your free play first. Should only be a few millimeters. With this type of issue, even if you remove all free play and it still won't go into neutral, then the issue is either the cable, the activation mechanism or the clutch plates. Unless you had prior issues with the clutch, I would not expect it to be that.
    So, the next thing I suggest is to service the clutch activation mechanism. Remove your left footpeg and the shift lever. Remove the sprocket cover. Remove the worm drive mechanism (2 phillips screws). Clean it very thoroughly, then grease it well and put it back together. Before re-installing the cover, remove the cable and lube it very well. Put everything back together and adjust the free play. If it still won't go into neutral, you will have to tackle the clutch plates themselves, which would be another post.
    Best of luck.

Comment

From a duplicate thread posted after yours:

Step 1) Turn in the cable adjusters at both the handle bar lever and where the cable goes into the case. You want maximum cable free play at the lever.

Step 2) Loosen the lock nut on the adjuster.

Step 3) Turn in adjuster until you JUST START TO FEEL resistance then back the adjuster off 1/4 turn and tighten locknut.

Step 4) Check feel at the lever. There should be some free play at the lever, but not a whole lot. If you don't know what free play is please ask.

Step 5) If necessary, tighten the cable further until you have a small amount of cable free play with the lever released, but not much. You must have lever free play or the clutch will slip.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks George... missed this one...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

And another supplement.

Easy fix.

Replace the neutral locating spring or shim it
          so that it puts more pressure on the neutral pin. That's what help's you put it into neutral in the first place.

Look under the right carb. There is a large bolt sticking up from the engine. 19 or 17mm i believe.

Take it off and underneath you will find a spring and a pin. Either add a shim or a heavier spring.

Make sure you do it in any gear besides neutral if you shim it. That way the pin is all the way up and you will know if your shim is too high for the bolt to set down.

Finding neutral should be easier but if you go too far it will find neutral while your trying not to.

Besides that the guy's have got you pretty well covered.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Don't say, Don't say, Don't say it...
            IT'S IN BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND!
            Oh, dang it, I said it. (I'm just razzing you, I'm really tired because I have been up all night working on computers.)
            I was thinking exactly the same thing!
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
            X