How to fix this mess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix this mess?

This is clearly the wrong way to attach the exhaust, trouble is im having a hard time finding any information about parts... hoping i can just buy new two piece clamps and bolts,... anyone? Thanks

What parts do you need info about?

Awesome you posted a pic but I cant see anything wrong other than being rusty. If it were mine I'd at least replace the bolts if you can remove them.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I need info on the two piece rings/clamps, cant find them. Problem is, cylinder four is missing one of them. I just dont like the looks of it, doesn't look clean. I'd like to see the flange tight against the head.

Comment

That obviously an aftermarket exhaust?
        I'm not positive but I don't think many of the aftermarket pipes fit flush against the head at the mounting point. I know the ones on my 850 don't.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
          I need info on the two piece rings/clamps, cant find them. Problem is, cylinder four is missing one of them. I just dont like the looks of it, doesn't look clean. I'd like to see the flange tight against the head.
          If you insist on getting everything you want, you will have to trim about half of the length off of each of the half-round pieces, then get shorter bolts.

It's not the flange against the head that is clamping anything in place, it is the flange pushing against the flanges on the half-rounds, which are then pushing the flange on the header pipes against the gaskets.

Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with what was shown in the picture, with the possible exception of the rusty bolts.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Take some pics from different angles and a bit further back so theres more of a focus to them. The half moons, like mentioned are pushed in by the flange and just push the header up tight against the exhaust gaskets. If ones missing there can be an exhaust leak at the side thats missing.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Those two half circle bands are what apply the pressure to force the flange into the seal. Because of the space showing between the two, they are obviously overlapped at the other side. You have all the parts you need. Take it apart and position the half cicles properly and hold them together, not overlapped with a pieace of masking tape. Push the pipe into the port and tighten the bolts. The tape will burn off in a couple miles.

Comment

Here is the problem. One of them is missing, and as you can see the PO torqued the bolts tight enough to bend the flange a bit. It bothers me.

Comment

Comment

The missing piece should be replaced, contact the manufacturer or a local wrecking yard.

About the bent flange, I'd say you are bothered too easily.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just a SWAG here, but how many exhaust gaskets are in there?

I'd start with ordering a new set of exhaust gaskets nd a set of split collars, removing the old ones and seeing what you've got going on

You are essentially correct, the header flanges should be closer to the head. But, they should never be flush with the head

Looking at how far the split collars stick out, the exhaust flange isn't close to the step in the port.

Typical PO stuff
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Roger that. Im going to pull the exhaust anyway for blasting/paint/ and wrap. A little intimidated though. I've read some headaches about getting a good seal... are the split collars a universal part? Where can I find them for purchase?

Comment

Most if not all aftermarket exhaust uses their own design, all doing the exact same thing. What make is the exhaust you have on the bike?

Comment

I can't find any identifying marks, but it looks like a standard from the factory 4 to 1. Ill take more pics.

Comment

HOLD THE PHONE!!!! Ok..first off, the half moon fits in between the inner flange and the outer flange welded to the header ( the ditch as it were on the end of the pipe)....That half moon is BEHIND the entire thing. You need to take the exhaust down and place the half moons in the groove thing at the ends of the headers. secondly, dont tighten everything down on the exhaust hangers and such untill the bolts for the header flanges are all secure. Tighten them in at an even rate going from side to side untill the headers are drawn up to the head flush. The reason the flange is all extended is simply because the half moons are installed in the ends of the pipes incorrectly. Wire wheel the rust off the threads and apply some high temp anti seize to them when you reinstall.
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X