Gs450ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450ga

So let me start by saying that these bikes have been my first introduction to the world of motorcycles and I'm not very experienced with them. Earlier this summer I bought a pair of 1983 Suzuki gs450ga cycles at a swap meet. One had been in some sort of wreck and the other was missing a few parts but I got them for what I though was a good deal. Once I got home I started to take the missing pieces off of the banged up bike and put them on the other one. Finally got it so it would turn over but sounded bad and wouldn't idle. Sent it to a mechanic friend and he put a new ignition unit on it and it idles great. Only problem is that when it is put in gear, it dogs down and hardly runs. The farthest I've been able to drive it before it dies is about half a block. After reading a few other forums, my problem sounds a lot like Charlie G's. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=196986 I don't know if this is part of the problem, or and additional one but nothing electrical works on the bike. I don't have any head or tail lights, turn signals, kickstand buzzer, or horn but the break light does work. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

I'm clueless, but what does your "mechanic friend" think? Does it rev up in neutral, but "dog" out in gear? maybe torque converter or rear drive issue. There are a few members here with this model- hopefully they will have ideas.

Basscliff's forum has good electrical diagrams- these are essential for tracing electrical faults.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My mechanic friend only does ignition and engine work on small engines. He thought it might be coming from the crankshaft or the torque converter. I have a spare parts bike that I switched the torque convertes on but the problem continues. I also dont think it is the crankshaft because the noise isn't always there. Its hard to pinpoint the knocking noise because is kind of random. Some times it will do it if it is being reved in neutral but 90% of the time it doesn't. The main time it happens is when it is in gear. Just trying to idle in gear is quite a problem because it wants to die. I've never talked to anyone else who has a gs450ga but other guys with cycles told me it could be the cam chain or in the transmission. I've done a compression check and its good so I don't think it is out of time. Between looking at this bike and the parts bike I've noticed that the cam tensioner is facing the oposite way. Idk if that is my problem is the tensioner, the trany, or some other unforeseen part.

Comment

gad

I don't believe anyone could put the cam chain tensioner in wrong, but anything is possible I guess. The adjusting knob will be on the right side ( brake side ) of the bike. I don't know what the pounding sound is without actually hearing it. How could your friend diagnosis an electrical problem if the bike was unable to run properly. (?) I would sort out all the issues between the two bikes with needed parts from one to the other. Check and clean the carbs check that the accelerator diaphragm is working properly ( spritzing into each carb) and test ride. I also would adjust the valves as a maintenance item. Bob

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it when I work on the bike this weekend.

Comment

The tensioner is identical if its the two bolt Post 1979 type and can be installed the other way if there was nothing in the way.

Sounds like fuses for all the lights, might be blown or corroded.

The brake light is a direct wire from the ignition switch to the brake switches then to the light so it works no matter what IIRC.

Knocking is usually the connecting rod bearings or balance shaft bearings if its mechanical. It could also be piston slap or camshaft walk.
            It could be the cam chain slapping if the tensioner is locked instead of being free floating. The chain could have gotten loose over time and your hearing the slap of the chain while its not under load at idle. Its obvious the tensioner was removed :P

If its not mechanical it could be overfilled with oil or flooding and causing piston slap.

It all depends on the type of noise and its location.

A video would help.
            Last edited by Mekanix; 09-12-2012, 10:54 PM.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Electrically I'd be sussing out the charging system.

If the ignitor was dead and you have no lights, good chance the R/R is overcharging by quite a lot, blowing bulbs and killing the ignitor.

If it runs then the main fuse should be ok, but also worthwhile replacing the dodgy glass one with a blade one.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
              X