another 6-wire R/R question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another 6-wire R/R question

I have what appears to be a stock 6-wire R/R. The 6th (solid black) wire was connected to the battery positive, but its been killing the battery so I'd like to put it where it belongs but problem is I have no idea where it goes. the only threads I can find talk about hooking it up to the brake switch but I can't seem to locate any input along those (orange/green & white) wires.

anyone know where this thing ties in?

85 gs550e

thanks

as you say, hook it into the rear brake light switch, the orange/green wire should have 12v on it when the ignition switch is on
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

i get that, I mean physically where does it tie in? its a stock R/R so I'm guessing it was wired in properly at some point. so there should be an open bullet connection or screw down somewhere, I can't seem top find it.

Comment

i dont think there was a 6 wire R/R as stock. its probably a honda unit, very popular mod to the GS. just cut the wire and solder in an extra tail with a bullet connector on to connect up to the R/R
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

It is definitely not stock. If it says Shindengen anywhere on it its Honda or Kawi. As mentioned, very popular with the GS crowd.

Now as to the black wire killing the battery, that is very strange as it is only a sense wire checking voltage. There is no way that it can kill batteries so I would suggest something is wrong with the RR. I have used these RRs 4 or 5 times now and have always hooked them to the positive pole, with never an issue.

I think I would change it out but if you want to test it somewhere else, just tie it in to any line that carries power. The rear light is the usual suggestion but any other powered line will work. Turn the key on and start probing with your circuit tester.

I still think its pooched.

Luck,
          Spyug.

Comment

okay, may have been wrong about it being stock. going to do the wire work today (going to need it there if the r/r is bad or not) and test. thank you gentlemen, I'll post results.

Comment

turns out the battery was hosed, can't take anything for granted. I'm still doing the wire work, while i wait for a new battery.

thanks for the help.

Comment

still confused. this appears to be a oem Suzuki R/R and has 6 wires. The manual only shows 5. so maybe from another model? the part number is SH572-12

what do I do with the black wire? is it a sense wire, is it a ground?

Comment

found this on ebay....

SUZUKI 1988 LT-F250T RECTIFIER #SH572-12 PART 11,481

and this one

SUZUKI 1987 250 KING QUAD 4X4 RECTIFIER #SH572-12 PART 16,412

and this one

SUZUKI LT 160 OEM Voltage Regulator SH572-12 #37B207

so it seems it could have come from different sources, but all are Suzuki..

Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

that is a shindengen R/R, fitted to many makes of bikes, some suzuki's,honda's, aprillia's etc..... the black wire is a sense wire and as stated before should be connected to a switched 12v supply
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

okay. I already did that, I was just worried if it was right. when I googled the part number it comes up as Suzuki. thanks again

Comment

Ok. It is definitely not stock as SH in the number indicates Shindengen which never supplied these R/Rs to GS model Suzukis. Its a repalcement. The green wire in this case is the ground and the black wire is the sense wire. confusing because we all think of black as a gound ( even more confusing , Suzuki likes black with a white tracer for grounds )

As I mentioned before, I have always attached the black sense wire to the + pole on the battery, and never had a problem. Alternatively, you can attach it to any line that carries power and as others have mentioned, the popular choice is to the tail light lead.

Now at a risk of getting you even more confused, it is also a good idea to ground the R/R itself and for this, I attach a ring connector to a length of wire and attach it to the bolt that goes through one of the holes used to hold down the R/R. make sure the ring touches the body of the R/R if you can. The other end I attach to the - pole of the battery.

With these connections in place, if the R/R is working properly you should see charging from about 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If you see more or less your R/R is likely pooched too.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

cheers,
                        Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          that is a shindengen R/R, fitted to many makes of bikes, some suzuki's,honda's, aprillia's etc..... the black wire is a sense wire and as stated before should be connected to a switched 12v supply
                          If that's a Shindengen, it's got the smallest heat sink that I've seen.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            If that's a Shindengen, it's got the smallest heat sink that I've seen.
                            the fact that it starts wit SH may be a bit of a clue, plus if you google SH572-12, all the links come up with SHINDENGEN in them.......

dead giveaway really
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                              Ok. It is definitely not stock as SH in the number indicates Shindengen which never supplied these R/Rs to GS model Suzukis. Its a repalcement. The green wire in this case is the ground and the black wire is the sense wire. confusing because we all think of black as a gound ( even more confusing , Suzuki likes black with a white tracer for grounds )

As I mentioned before, I have always attached the black sense wire to the + pole on the battery, and never had a problem. Alternatively, you can attach it to any line that carries power and as others have mentioned, the popular choice is to the tail light lead.

Now at a risk of getting you even more confused, it is also a good idea to ground the R/R itself and for this, I attach a ring connector to a length of wire and attach it to the bolt that goes through one of the holes used to hold down the R/R. make sure the ring touches the body of the R/R if you can. The other end I attach to the - pole of the battery.

With these connections in place, if the R/R is working properly you should see charging from about 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If you see more or less your R/R is likely pooched too.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

cheers,
                              Spyug

Like this

Comment

Working...
                              X