clutch not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch not engaging

Hello, I am getting close to pressing the starter button after an extended time of rebuilding my top end on an '80 GS1000G. I never did start a project thread, (I sure would next time!) but I have received some great help along the way! Thanks to all. The truth is, there is so much available info that I was able to just find almost everything I needed by searching old threads.

So here is what is going on now, I have the bike all back together, and am ready to put gas in this morning. However, I noticed that my clutch is not engaging.

While I have been rebuilding the top end I have done a few other odds and ends along the way.

In regards to the clutch, I removed the cover, pulled the plates out, (they looked fine, though I don't have much past experience to go by) put them back in, replaced the clutch springs, cleaned my oil sight glass, put a new gasket on, and reinstalled cover. Reattached the release lever, and adjusted the nut at the lever to reduce the slack in the clutch lever.

That's all I did, but now the bike will not cycle through the gears without manually spinning the back wheel at the same time, and once it is in a gear, the wheel will not spin even while I am engaging clutch lever on handlebars. In fact there is no difference while holding in the clutch lever, or not. Either way the rear wheel must be spun while pressing on gear selection lever in order for it to change gears.

I am thinking I didn't engage the clutch release rack properly to the clutch release pinion? I have re-read the manuals I have, and done a bit of searching old threads, but I am not finding any specific info which might indicate what I may have done wrong. Since I didn't really go too deep into the clutch, and it worked fine before, I am assuming this is just something simple which I did wrong.

So, I am going out to the garage to drain my oil, remove the cover, and give it a look-see. If anyone has any helpful hints, they would be much appreciated!

Also, since this is a new gasket on the cover, and I don't have another new one laying around . . . will I have a problem re-using it this time?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You need to disconnect cable at clutch arm,so you can get clutch actuating arm located correctly on top of of the pinion shaft (the shaft sticking out of clutch cover) . You want to relocate lever arm on splines so you can just feel resistance- this will about the spot where cable (once connected and adjusted properly) will start pulling to engage the clutch.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

what you are describing is normal for a static engine. the internals need to be spinning to allow you to go through the gears smoothly with the bike at a stand still. once the engine is running the shifting action will be a lot easier.

as stated before it may well need adjusting properly to obtain the correct action and feel when riding. you should start it up and see how it feels.

if you put the bike on the main stand and start it, put your foot on the rear brake,hard. then pull in the clutch and put it in gear.do this at idle speed only. if the engine stalls you need to adjust it.
      do not try this with the rear wheel on the ground as you may end up going through your garage wall and ending up in your neighbours fish pond.......hahaaaaa
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Let me see if I am understanding this;
        Take actuating arm off top of pinion shaft, rotate pinion counter-clock
        wise with fingers until it stops, re-attach actuating arm. The result being that the actuating arm begins to move as soon as the clutch lever on handle bars is engaged? (taking into consideration the normal amount of desired slack)?

If I understand this correctly, I think this is how I installed it. But maybe I am not understanding something here.

Comment

Thanks guys,
          Agemax, I will go ahead and start it and do as you suggested. I am glad I didn't run right down and pull the cover!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Allright! There was no problem with clutch . . . Thanks Agemax. It has been two months of working on this bike in the midst of a new job, and moving to a new city! (neither of which I knew were coming when I first took bike apart)

I have never rebuilt a top end before, so needless to say I was a bit nervous this morning getting ready to start it for the first time. It cranked for a bit, then started! It sounded like music to my ears.

I did ride it around the neighborhood a bit. All the pipes are hot, and I am not seeing any smoke. It feels strong but not nearly as smooth as before. I am assuming I just need to start tweaking things now. But my brain is mush, and I have read so many old posts that now I can't really think straight about where to begin.

I know I need to work toward balancing carbs . . . but It isn't idling very well, I need to kind of fiddle with the choke to keep it running at idle. In order to balance carbs I need it to run at idle, so now I need some help figuring out a sequence to follow to get it a bit more stable. Any one feel like jumping in here and helping me straighten out my thoughts here? Maybe I should start a new thread?

I took it out for ten minutes, felt strong, but MAYBE some hesitation coming off idle? And it would idle at times when I stopped, but it also died on me at one point. It didn't want to start, so I turned fuel cock to Prime, and then it started, but this may be confusing the issue, since I am not sure that had anything to do with it starting. But if it did, this might indicate vacuum issue? I am pretty sure my system is tight in regards to this.

I did clean my filter, and re-oiled it, maybe I got too much oil in filter element and it is choking it out?

At one point after returning from initial ride, while it was "kind" of idling, it did make some spitting noises out the pipes? Would this mean anything?

My brain is rebelling against me right now, can't think straight. But I am sure glad it at least turned over and ran!

Comment

have you checked that all the right pipes are connected to the carbs properly? mainly the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock. also you say you have rebuilt the top end, what have you done to it? have you checked the valve shim clearances?
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Agemax, Thanks for getting back to me, I just wrote more detail in a new thread in the projects section.

As far as I can tell I have the carbs connected properly. The vacuum line is attached.

I took the head apart, cleaned everything, lapped the valves, replaced every single o-ring, seal and gasket I ran across. New boots and o-rings between carb and cylinder head. Boots from airbox to carb were in good shape. Thought about RTV in groove of boot where airbox sits, but ended up thinking I might just cause problems down the road, and the fit seemed tight enough. Airbox is tight. Yes, I did adjust the valve clearances.

Comment

ok, you say you think you have maybe over oiled your air filter. take it out completely and see how it runs then. wash it through again and refit it with only a light oiling. it does not need a lot, give it a good wring out before fitting
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

OK, gonna get a quick bite of lunch in and then I'll go try that.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rippledub View Post
                      OK, gonna get a quick bite of lunch in and then I'll go try that.
                      Thanks
                      real GS owners dont have time to "stop for lunch"
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ha! Especially when they are in a hurry to get it down the road!

Now it won't start, just cranking over, and "huffing" every once in a while like it wants to start. But it won't. I am assuming, since it did run this morning that I have all the necessary ingredients: Fuel Air Spark

If I was able to run it around this morning the timing should be right?

So now why not starting at all?

Comment

Ha! Especially when they are in a hurry to get it down the road!

Now it won't start, just cranking over, and "huffing" every once in a while like it wants to start. But it won't. I am assuming, since it did run this morning that I have all the necessary ingredients: Fuel Air Spark

If I was able to run it around this morning the timing should be right?

So now why not starting at all?
                          ok, you mentioned earlier that you had to put the petcock on prime. do it again, leave for 30 seconds, then try starting it again.
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

It did catch, but stumbled along and died again.

Comment

It did catch, but stumbled along and died again.
                              it would be silly to ask if you have plenty of fuel in the tank, so i wont......

pull the pipe off the pet cock, attach a longer pipe into a bucket,or similar and check the tap is flowing freely( on PRIme).also make sure the vacuum line is attached securely to the carbs and the pet cock.
                              then, unscrew the carb drain screws on each carb to make sure each carb is getting fuel. if not you may need to remove them, strip and thoroughly clean them
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X