Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs550e: trying to split case, stripped bearing retainer screws

Hello everyone,

My machine was popping in out of engagement when I was pushing it in second gear.

Despite warnings from members on here, I'm tearing apart my engine in an attempt to replace my transmission. I figure that my engine is already relatively useless in it's current state, so I don't have much to lose.

Here's the thread I started originally:

it looks like JvZ is having the same problem. His thread is here:
    Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

I'm trying to split my case so I can get to the transmission, but I've gotten stuck at the bearing retainer screws

You can see I've stripped them trying to get them off. You can also see the broken-off tip of the EZ Out I used on the top right one. ARGH.

I've soaked them all in PB Blaster for several days, but because its a recessed head, it looks like the PB blaster can't actually reach the threads.

What are my options? How the heck can I get these out? I've been considering purchasing a small Mig welder for other projects. I'm wondering if maybe I can use the welder to weld a nut to this screw... is that ridiculous in these close quarters?

give the screws a few good whacks with a hammer and drift, they were probably fitted with thread lock.the shock will help release the loctite. the one with the broken ez out, try tapping it round with a small chisel.

the other 2, drill the heads right off, until the plate comes away. then get some vice grips to remove the remains.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You do know that theshifter has to come out first? it pulls straight thru..

but for those three screws it is SIMPLE:

get a good hard pointed punch and hammer it straight into a good spot near the outside ecge of the screw. hammer it a couple times as to make a nice deep dot in it.

THEN put the punch in the divot you just made but hold it in an angle so that the next hits will TURN it in a counter clockwise direction... and a couple GOOD HITS will move the screw every time!!

OF COURSE IF YOU HAD AN IMPACT you would not need to do this.....

Comment

The screws are held in with a locking compound. Apply some heat with a small butane torch and then use an impact driver on the screws. The damaged screw can be taken out by cutting a slot in the head with a dremel or using a punch and hammer to work the screw out.

Comment

hey thanks everyone! These answers are restoring my gumption!

Specifically, what kind of punch/chisel do I need?

Comment

+1 on getting an impact driver. You'll (almost never) strip a screw head again.

EZ-outs are crap for the reason illustrated. Get ye some left-handed drill bits.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Get an impact driver, you will need a lot in the future and it'll save you tons of frustration.

Comment

Get some JIS screwdrivers also, that's why you stripped the screws in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by egetron View Post
                  hey thanks everyone! These answers are restoring my gumption!

Specifically, what kind of punch/chisel do I need?
                  I use one with a POINT on it .
                  just hit it on a meatier section of that screw, till you get a nice divot in it, then hit the same divot at an angle.. it will come right out.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    The screws are held in with a locking compound. Apply some heat with a small butane torch and then use an impact driver on the screws. The damaged screw can be taken out by cutting a slot in the head with a dremel or using a punch and hammer to work the screw out.
                    Yes this!
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

ok, great. I'm going to Sears after work to pick up an impact driver.

Do I need to find JIS heads for the impact driver? Or will the normal Phillips head provided work?

Also, are Craftsman tools my best bet? Is that a can of worms?
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

The head supplied with the driver should work just fine.
                        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by egetron View Post
                          Also, are Craftsman tools my best bet? Is that a can of worms?
                          Yeah, can of worms for sure! Most Craftsman tools are, in my humble opinion, overpriced for what they are. But in general, they do work fine. Usually you'll get tools of the same middle-of-the-road quality at a better price by going with any other hardware store's house brand.

The only reason the vast majority of my hand and power tools are Craftsman is because I keep getting Sears gift cards for Christmas and can't think of anything better to spend them on. :P
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Sorry that you are also having this issue, but glad that I am not the only one.

Btw,

"OF COURSE IF YOU HAD AN IMPACT you would not need to do this...."

This has probably been my favourite tool ever and it is a cheapie from eBay.

Comment

Craftsman tools re nowadays just "OK" but will work for most poeple just fine.

They aren't made like they used to be but at least it only takes an hour or two of our time to get them replaced.

I Still have most of my original S-K tools and will continue to replace them when needed with same.

Comment

Working...
                              X