Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS 550 rebuilding carbs... extra gasket for carb 2

totally befuddled...

While starting to rebuild the carbs on my 1980 gs550 I noticed something that I didn't notice while taking them apart.

On the #2 carb, there's a hole I don't remember being there. In the other 3 carbs, normally there would be that small donut shaped gasket there (the one sitting to the right of the #2 carb with nowhere to go)...

so now I've ended up with this extra, lonely gasket, where does it go?

I assume this orifice has something to do with this carb providing vacuum pressure for the petcock?

what am I missing??

You are missing a plug in the #2. You need to find it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

FOUND IT! it was sitting precariously in my kitchen drain, just barely too wide to go down... wow that was close.

Thanks so much!

What's the point of this passageway/plug? The plugs in the other 3 carbs seem to be pretty stuck in there... like they're not really designed to ever come out.

How do I make sure that this doesn't come loose again? Is there some sort of glue/threadlock I should put in there?
      Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2013, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by egetron View Post
        FOUND IT! it was sitting precariously in my kitchen drain, just barely too wide to go down... wow that was close.

Thanks so much!

What's the point of this passageway/plug? The plugs in the other 3 carbs seem to be pretty stuck in there... like they're not really designed to ever come out.

How do I make sure that this doesn't come loose again? Is there some sort of glue/threadlock I should put in there?
        There is not harm in using loctite on that plug. If you put it in right with the o-ring it will not come out with the float bowl on, even without loctite.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks! Carbs back together. can't wait to get this baby running

Comment

Working...
          X