GS750 VanVan Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 VanVan Mod

Getting a little tired of my current setup, even though it's not 100% finished.

Well, let me start again. I've been shopping for a TW200 or FTR250 for a while with no luck. Actually those are second choices but since the RV200 isn't available in the states, I was willing to settle. Then this thought occurred that I could set up my GS750 in a similar style and try it out. If I didn't like it, I'd have the parts to undo it.

Here's the problem. I'm not familiar enough with other bikes to know where to acquirer parts. I know I'll need a wider triple that will fit my bike and my forks. I wonder if the VanVan triple would work. Any suggestions?

Here's a few example pictures.
    Honda FTR250

Yamaha TW200

Suzuki RV200

You want little fat tires on a bike that can go 125mph?

I'll take the pictures.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      You want little fat tires on a bike that can go 125mph?

I'll take the pictures.
      No! I want BIG fat tires. And I'll never do 125 on any bike. Just not that interested in going fast.

Comment

I'd keep looking for a fat tire 200. They are cool little bikes, the 750 would not be.

Comment

I'm still shopping for one, but I'm gonna do this mod as well. Like I said earlier, if it sucks I'll revert it back to how it is now. But at least it will renew my interest in doing something to it. It's been months since I've turned a wrench on it.

Comment

I've been searching for a good deal on the T-dub for several months.
            I just recently learned of the Honda which turns out to be a FTR223.
            Not a FTR250. And like the VanVan 200, it's an Asian-market-only bike.

Back to my VanVan project, I've found a triple tree from a VanVan 125.
            I need to ask the seller for some measurements to ensure it's what I need.
            Of course I'll need to figure out what measurements I'll need, then compare.

And just to clarify, I'm not wanting VanVan tires on my GS750, not exactly.
            I'm wanting the VanVan width and tread pattern, at the GS750's tire height.
            I think finding the right tires and wheels is the hardest part of the planning.

Edit: I also need to find the rake of the stock triple tree, anyone know?
            I'll need to try to stay as close to that as I can, or heat it and adjust it.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I've been doing some figuring and reading and searching and may have my tires sorted.
              I'll use 130/80-18's on the front and rear. Haven't picked a brand or tread type, yet.
              This tire should mount on my rear wheel, and not require a different type of sprocket.

The front is gonna be tricky. First I'll have to find a wheel that can carry that tire.
              Then I'll have to find the right triple tree. This will probably be a lot of trial and error.
              And I may need different forks. I'm hoping my forks will work. And my calipers, etc.

I'm gonna try to do a Bandit 1200 swingarm swap first. With a monoshock setup.
              Even if I decide later to keep the front stock, I'll still enjoy having the swingarm done.
              I still have a lot of reading up on that. The swingarm should be fairly straight-forward.
              The monoshock sounds a little more involved, but certainly doable.

Comment

What excatly are you trying to accomplish with this mod? What will you be using the motorcycle for?

Comment

Well, you see Tom, I like to customize things. I get an idea about the way something should be, then I have to make it fit that idea, and I'll never be happy with it until I do. Sometimes I'm not happy with it afterwards either, but I have to try.

Besides, I will be spending a lot of time in the dessert with this bike. I think it should be able to handle itself better with this setup. I don't think I'll be sacrificing any functionality or causing any problems with this setup. About the fastest I'm ever gonna ride is what ever the speed limit is. Maybe not even that fast most of the time.

Comment

I like the idea a lot, but I would like to start with a 350 or 400 dual sport. I don't believe that the 200/250 dual sports are fast enough to keep up with rural two lane traffic. My XT250 and XL250 aren't. A DR350 with fat tires might be fun.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

just reading this over, I think it's a neat idea. I wonder if maybe you could just pull your triple tree apart, get the dimensions and have someone mill up a set with the correct amount of stretch between the forks to compensate for the new wheel in the front, imo it would probably end up costing just as much to find something that is a near match and try to modify it, and you get to keep more stock parts on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978gs550 View Post
                        just reading this over, I think it's a neat idea. I wonder if maybe you could just pull your triple tree apart, get the dimensions and have someone mill up a set with the correct amount of stretch between the forks to compensate for the new wheel in the front, imo it would probably end up costing just as much to find something that is a near match and try to modify it, and you get to keep more stock parts on the bike.
                        I like that idea, but not any shops in my area that could manage that.
                        Or at least none that I am aware of.

Comment

Nevermind, I'm quitting. Bike's for sale. See my sig for info.

Comment

Working...
                          X