Side cover repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side cover repair

So is J-B Weld PlasticWeld (one of) the preferred stuff for side cover repair? I'd like to get some hooked up soon. How will people know how big my peni I mean engine is (it doesn't say "1100" anywhere else on my '82 E)?

Seriously, any tips for repair and then secure mounting are appreciated. Can this JB "Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty" be formed into missing tabs? 'Cause I've got a few of those.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Dunno about that particular stuff, but epoxy sticks well. Use some used dryer sheets as you would use fiberglass, it's strong as Hell and very easy to handle. You can also use dental floss as you would use rebar in concrete, also very strong.

That said I prefer to use a soldering iron to weld the plastic together.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Comment

I used sugru to make new tabs on my side covers, so I suppose the epoxy putty will work too

Comment

I used JB PlastikWeld to fill the holes in my side covers. Worked perfectly. Once it was painted you'd never know there were holes. Didn't have any missing tabs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
            I used sugru to make new tabs on my side covers, so I suppose the epoxy putty will work too

Wow, never heard of it before.. Here it is:

Sugru mouldable glue, adhesive and putty that sets into a flexible and durable silicone rubber

Is it strong? Does it last?

Going to try some.

Comment

I had two tabs broken and one or two tabs left { I can't remember exactly } on each of the side covers on my 750. I used epoxy to glue two rare earth magnets to each cover. To experiment I first taped them in and it's a good thing I did as the first ones I tried were way too strong. They've been on there for two years now and those covers aren't going anywhere. The magnets cost about 3 bucks apiece....
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Wow, never heard of it before.. Here it is:

Sugru mouldable glue, adhesive and putty that sets into a flexible and durable silicone rubber

Is it strong? Does it last?

Going to try some.
                Yeah, it hardens to a pretty hard silicon rubber. Got to make sure whatever you're attaching it to is clean, my sidecover was not and one tab fell off...

I even made a fuse holder of it for my GS by encapsulating two spade type wire crimp connectors with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                  I had two tabs broken and one or two tabs left { I can't remember exactly } on each of the side covers on my 750. I used epoxy to glue two rare earth magnets to each cover. To experiment I first taped them in and it's a good thing I did as the first ones I tried were way too strong. They've been on there for two years now and those covers aren't going anywhere. The magnets cost about 3 bucks apiece....
                  That sounds kind of interesting. I would have thought that would be a way to lose a side cover. Do you have a picture of the inside of your covers?
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

Side cover attachment

I have the NY "EZ Pass" toll device on the windshield of my car. It's not attached with Velcro, but it works in a similar way. Is anyone familiar with this, know what it's called?

I was thinking that might be a way to attach the side covers.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I can get those little Neodymium or whatever it is magnets in Hong Kong for just about nothing, I should grab a few. Hundred.

What size did you end up using?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        I can get those little Neodymium or whatever it is magnets in Hong Kong for just about nothing, I should grab a few. Hundred.

What size did you end up using?
                        It was two years ago. But they were about 3/4to 1 inch across but it's the thickness that makes for the strength. I'll see if I can find one and measure it.
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Tom. The battery in my watchamacallit calipers is dead. { I can never remember that name } I'll PM you when I replace it. Gregory here's a pic. As you can see two tabs are broken. I wouldn't do it without one left unless I went for a stronger magnet. Oops it looks like only one tab is broken and I used two magnets. It was two years ago. I'd still do it if only one tab were remaining. Those things are strong. I'd just add a few more magnets where the broken one was...

Last edited by bccap; 04-20-2014, 05:02 PM.
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Must remember that one.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Tom. The battery in my watchamacallit calipers is dead.
                              Digital ?

Comment

Working...
                              X