Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 & Polaris R&R?

Hi,

I need a little advice on R&Rs, as well as any insights into correcting an electrical problem. In previous posts, I mentioned that power suddenly cut out when I turned the ignition switch. Later, I discovered that one of the coils smoked and was apparently burned out. Replace the coil, although it took some time to figure out which was the positive and negative terminals. Battery won't charge, so will need to replace.

Fired up the bike two weekends ago (been traveling in between). Testing voltage to the battery showed 18 volts. Bad! I had previously replaced the original malfunctioning R&R with a used SH532 from a Honda. Seems like that is now also shot.

Did a google search for a SH775, and noticed that one of the links took me to ebay for Polaris Ranger regulators. Is the latter an OEM version of the SH775? Does anyone have experience putting the SH775 or the Polaris into a GS450GA?

I am also considering the SSPB but not sure if I want to spend a whole lot on the bike because of limited resources. I have another bike (and a minivan).

Are there other electrical things I should check while I am working on the current problem? Is it just a bad R&R, or some other thing that is causing the problems?

Thanks in advance.

the 775 came on select year Polaris side by sides. Get the rr from a Polaris supplier.

lots of posts in reference to best suppliers.

nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

The SH532 is almost bullet proof. You might want to check the wiring before ditching it. There are literally thousands of posts in the archives about the GS charging system, including tons about properly rewiring your charging system for best reliability. The SH775 is a great unit, and highly recommended by folks around here. Nothing wrong with changing to one. If money is tight though, you might want to make sure you trouble shoot before hand.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
        the 775 came on select year Polaris side by sides. Get the rr from a Polaris supplier.

lots of posts in reference to best suppliers.

nic
        Thanks. Do you know what years? Also, could not find the posts using the search tool for the two treads you have listed. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The SH532 is almost bullet proof. You might want to check the wiring before ditching it. There are literally thousands of posts in the archives about the GS charging system, including tons about properly rewiring your charging system for best reliability. The SH775 is a great unit, and highly recommended by folks around here. Nothing wrong with changing to one. If money is tight though, you might want to make sure you trouble shoot before hand.
          Thanks.

Will check the wiring. I took a look this morning and did not see anything obvious. Will have to break out the ohm meter.

When I installed it, all seem fine in terms of output. Not sure why it has jumped to 18 volts at the battery. Any ideas? Any particular test to isolate things.

Comment

2011 R11HR76AG/AR Ranger 6X6 800 EFI
            35A 3PH Series Regulator 105C 4012941 (SH-775) The part number 4012941 should be enough to look it up. The difference in the SH532 and SH775 is the 775 shuts off when there is no call for charging. The SH532 shunts through the stator effectively dogging it 24/7. Up until the advent of the series R/R's the shunt type was all there was and some were really good. By design they are harder on the stator. I wouldn't throw away a good unit until you have the cash, but by design the SH775 will always be easier on your stator.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 05-10-2014, 02:35 PM.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
              Thanks. Do you know what years? Also, could not find the posts using the search tool for the two treads you have listed. Any suggestions?
              See the links in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
                Thanks. Do you know what years?
                OldVet gave you the part number, that will be good enough to search on a Polaris site, but the R/R started on the 2010 or 2011 Razr 800 with fuel injection.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                  2011 R11HR76AG/AR Ranger 6X6 800 EFI
                  35A 3PH Series Regulator 105C 4012941 (SH-775) The part number 4012941 should be enough to look it up. The difference in the SH532 and SH775 is the 775 shuts off when there is no call for charging. The SH532 shunts through the stator effectively dogging it 24/7. Up until the advent of the series R/R's the shunt type was all there was and some were really good. By design they are harder on the stator. I wouldn't throw away a good unit until you have the cash, but by design the SH775 will always be easier on your stator.
                  Thanks. This is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    OldVet gave you the part number, that will be good enough to search on a Polaris site, but the R/R started on the 2010 or 2011 Razr 800 with fuel injection.

Thanks. Is there a difference in R/Rs with and without fuel injections? Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

No, there is no difference, that is the first vehicle it showed up on. It adapts very well to our old bikes. You have Posplayr to thank for it. He introduced us to the Compu-Fire series R/R. Then the SH-775 came along at a better price point.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 05-12-2014, 07:34 AM.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X