Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for GS550 owners only (80-82)

Hi,

I just bought an 80' GS550L, and have been looking around for ideas of what I can do to it.

If you own or have owned one of these bikes, or a bike that is comparatively equal, what mods, upgrades, etc, are available for this bike?

When I bought the bike I was told that the 550 is an exceptionally well engineered/built engine, but I have not been able to find much of anything for it.

So please let me know what you have done to your, or what you know or have heard can be done to one.

I am most interested in what air/fuel intake and exhaust combos are best for maximizing this engines performance. Also oil filtration and cooling upgrades.

Thanks
    Van

sooo? by the lack of responses can I assume that there are not any upgrades available for this bike?..., or is it just that nobody knows?

Comment

How does one upgrade perfection?

The only upgrade I've done is a 4 into 1 by Jardine. And 'factory 1150' clip-ons for a more aggressive position. Everything else is fairly stock. 130 rear tire...

Robben

Comment

Robbin, ol' buddy ol' pal...

i remember you telling me that all i had to do was ask and i would get responces containing all of the information i could possibly ever need.. ;-)

what happened? was it something i said?

anyhow... i have a question for you.. why is going from a "4 into 2" to a "4 into 1" an upgrade?? seriously.. in the automotive world everyone goes from a single to duel exhaust to improve flow, what is it about motorcycles that going from a duel to a single exhaust is an upgrade?

Van

Comment

Must've been too generic a question. I glazed over your question the first time I saw it too... But on a serious note, I don't think many on here have done much modifying to a GS550, except to go to a GS litre :twisted: Okay, semi serious note. I think the purpose of this section is just to gloat over mod's already done or on the wish list. Perhaps it needs to be asked in the 'technical' forum.

Actually, I 'upgraded' my exhaust because of some serious rusting in the crossover section of my stock system. So, technically, I went from a 4 into 17 8O to a 4 into 1... and saved some money in the process, since the aftermarket Jardine was less than half the price of a new Suzuki stock system.

Some one else on here will probably knock this apart more indepth, but simply put... In header technology, from what I remember from my automotive days, the design has more to do with how the gases flow. Smoothing out the kinks, and especially with cars - the pipes are designed to allow each cylinder an equal length of pipe. Inside the collector, before heading on to the muffler, the design eliminates some/most of the turbulence. This is not the same as back pressure, I don't think. Some back pressure is required. If the bike was larger, a 4 into 2 would work better.

If you go back to the stock exhaust, the crossover set up generates turbulence and in effect, it was like having a 4 into 1 into 2, but messy. It worked, but remember, these are just 550s. Bone stock engine, it produces a nice powerband, but not much on the wheel popping.

What gives me a perk in the new header is it generates a nice sound, and it's put out the back where it belongs. Not underneath the engine where I was losing some back pressure.

I remember putting a header system on my VW Bug. I used a single muffler setup for it. It eliminated the 'whistle' the stock muffler put out, and the horsepower it added was quite noticable. The dual mufflers, which friends had on theirs, just added noise.

Going back to your original 'generic' question... in the aftermarket world, there isn't much available for the 550s, apart from a few, and in my case, one, exhaust system(s). Most mods you do, and what I've done, is from ingenuity of finding something else that will work better. I scavenge my bike wrecker at least once a month, and if nothing else, Rob B., who runs the place, gets a morning coffee outta me, when I drop by. I've done lots of stuff to mine, actually, and plans to do more. Not much on the engine, yet, but it makes the bike more what I want out of it, money permitting. For a more complete list of that, check out my GS Owners thread - finally joined the GS site at the bottom of page one. There's a partial list in my 'novelized' posting

As for the carbs, I've left the stock air box on. There are probably pods and dyna jet kit available for it, but I haven't gone that route yet. The header by itself didn't require rejetting. And, as for the engine, I've plans to rebuild it at some point, but not having a heated garage means pulling the engine out and tearing it apart in my living room over the cold season. I keep putting that off for 'another winter'... Have been known to procrastinate here n' there. :roll: Tempted to pick up a spare engine, and do the rebuild to that one, but I'm still working on wearing Rob B. down for a good price on one of his engines...

...time to get another coffee. :twisted:

Robben

Comment

robben is right, there really isn't much out there to do to a 550. what i have done so far to the bike is 4 into 1 mac exhaust with competition baffle, accel coils, k and n stage 3 jet kit, k and n pod filters. all that will put you back about 500 bucks. you can also degree your cams yourself for pretty cheap (i will do this this winter). you could maybe upgrade your fork springs to progressive ones to firm the front end and add drag bars to get a more aggressive riding position and upgrade you electrical system to a dyna 3000 or sumtin. other then that you start to get tricky and start challenging the reliability of the engine, i haven't heard of anyone doing this to a 550 yet but i guess you could shave the head down a millimeter or two to increase compression and you could have the head ported and polished too but then you need to add a oil cooler. But then you get into the realm of dumping a $hit load of money into a bike where you could just buy a 1100 e for what you put into the bike and still have more power and more flexibility for more power in the future. i don't know if your bike has the cv carbs or not but if they do then you can make a k and n jet kit for a 82 550 kat work for you. if you need any part numbers or websites for the mods i have done to my bike let me know and i can post them when i get home. but my recommendation is to just go with the basics like jet kit, pods, exhaust, coils, and drag bars.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

i just noticed you asked about cooling too. i think one of terry's oil adapters will fit your bike (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=14080) you will just need to get a oil cooler from lockhart philps. you could also run mobil one fully synthetic oil 15w-50. i just started running it in my bike and it seems happier.

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

F Timer,

Thanks for taking the time to post all that for me!!...

you have the 81' so I would think that our engines would be the same..? so what you have done should work for me.

with all that you have done to your bike, you have noticed significant gains?

I am defiantly interested in the websites that you went to to find the parts to fit your bike.

how do I go about finding out which carbs are on my bike to know if the jet kit will work for it.

do you have a picture of your bike posted on the net somewhere?

thanks
                Van

ps. i do not want to mess with the engine itself. it has only 12k on it, so i want to leave it stock. i just want to maximise its current power output.

i would by a bigger bike but my insurance would jump significantly if i got anything bigger. right now i'm paying $140 a year, which is more than i would ever want to pay.

Comment

Robben

first off I just want to say, I think that you are a really cool guy, and thanks for helping me out by replying to all of my posts.

also thanks for explaining the exhaust bit for me. I defiantly understand the idea that a well designed single exhaust is far better than a poorly designed duel exhaust. but I just don?t understand why anyone would design a inefficient duel exhaust...! maybe its all the grease monkey and white trash in my blood that insists that "duel exhaust = better."
                  oh well ;-)

good luck on getting an engine for cheap!!

Van

Comment

GS550

Hi! I just bought a '79 GS 550 on Sept 14, It's needed 4 hours of work a night for the past week, plus 1/2 day off work to hunt around for missing parts! I'ts almost restored.
                    I had the same bike back in '84, so I'm familiar with it. I previously had a 4 to 1 MAC exhaust and rejetted carbs. My current 550 is bone-stock. It's 25 years old, & a classic!
                    Look for GS550 parts on Ebay, there are a couple of exhaust systems on there.

Comment

Cruzuki

thanks for the post.

I want to jet the carb. but I don?t know, and haven?t been able to find out what, if any, jetting kit would work for my bike.

First timer mentioned that if I had a certain carb that a specific K&N jetting kit could be modified to work, BUT I am not sure how to know what carb I have YET. I know that that sounds really lame, but my bike is 2.5 hrs away from where I live, so I cant just go and look at it right now.

also I don?t know what carbs came on the bikes, so I cant just evaluate what I know so far about my carb. to identify it as a specific one.

what I do know is that my bike is an 80' GS550L 4-cyl and 4-carb., but other then that I don?t know yet. (I just got the bike a few weeks ago and am not familiar with it from past experience).

if it turns out that I can jet it, then I want to know what air-intake and exhaust it best to compliment the jetting.
                      BUT if I cannot jet it then, I don?t see the point of doing any of that. I cant imagine that the increase would be sufficient to justify the cost.

even if I don't do any of that I will still add an oil cooler and electric oil primer (if possible), to maximize engine life. I will also upgrade the electrical and grounds to insure reliability and increase hp and efficiency.

sorry about the novel but...

Van

Comment

Never apologize for novels. ...This from another novelizer. Some don't include enough information for others to help. You should see if you can find a repair manual for your bike. Check out the links section, if the local Suzuki dealer or a reputable book supplier doesn't have anything listed. I have a Haynes for mine. It's been invaluable for specs, wiring diagrams, etc. Not to mention nice, exploded views of the carbs, etc.

Robben

Comment

I changed the tank on mine to a GS450 tank
                          also has ported intake and exhaust ports
                          droped 3in in back
                          air shocks
                          and bigger carbs from a 750

Comment

Sounds like you're not familiar with the bike yet. Might I suggest you familiarize yourself with the bike in stock form before you decide what kinds of things you really want or need to do to it? All the parts will be out there, somewhere, when you need them
                            You may decide to put out $$ for tires, handlebars other comfort/handling items before you even consider improving performance.

Comment

not everyone reads this forum everyday...at least i dont because like they said, there isnt a lot of 550 mods out there.

the reason you rejet your carbs it to make it run right (not lean) if you add pod air filters or 4-1 exhaust to the engine. rejetting is not easy...it takes some time and playing with to get right, however, once its dialed in, its sweet. i have a dyna ignition, dyna coils, rejetted carbs and raised needles with pod air filters, and 4-1 exhaust. these are basic mods that make it sound good, and give you a few extra ponies.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X