Carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb problem

I was cleaning the carbs of a '79 GS750L. One of the carbs has a broken float post. The previous owner didn't tell me about this. It looks like it was once glued with ugly brown glue that didn't hold.

Can this be fixed? Or do I need to buy a new set of carbs?

img src=http://www.spiritone.com/~dcammack/brokenCarb.jpg

You should only need the one carb body. Someone here might have one for sale?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Bah, I tried to find my post before where I explained how to fix this but I couldn't find it.

Basically, you take the broken parts of the post and drill a hole down the center of each piece with a small drill or dremel tool. The holes have to line up perfectly.
      Then you take a springpin the same size as the hole and trim it to the legnth of the holes and insert it into the broken-off side of the post with a rubber hammer. Then rubber-hammer the broken part with the pin into the hole on the carb body side of the post. The springpin holds the two halves together firmly without any changes in float height if you did it correctly.

Dm of mD

Comment

The ugly brown stuff is most likely JB Weld.

I had a stuck float pin on my GS650G and the shop ended up breaking off the tower. I ended up rebuilding the carbs and sure enough it broke off again during the process.

To fix it, I used JB weld on it again and it is working fine. That said, mine isn't as bad as yours, so you might clean it up really well, do the drilling bit like Detman mentioned, then apply a tiny coat of JB weld to the joint when putting the two pieces and the pin together. Let it cure overnight and you should be good to go.

I would clean the carbs and get all the parts back together before repairing the tower as it might just break again from all the manipulation required during the cleaning process.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the feedback I get from the forums here. People are very helpful.

Comment

Re: Carb problem

Originally posted by oregonDave
            I was cleaning the carbs of a '79 GS750L. One of the carbs has a broken float post. The previous owner didn't tell me about this. It looks like it was once glued with ugly brown glue that didn't hold.

Can this be fixed? Or do I need to buy a new set of carbs?

img src=http://www.spiritone.com/~dcammack/brokenCarb.jpg
            I have a 1982 550 with this probem, I fixed it in 1984, drilled the broken post, drilled the carb to insert a small brass rod cut to length,( obtained in a hobby shop),made the fit tight, used an aviation grade epoxy gently tapped the epoxy brass rod and tower into place with a small hammer, and has never given me problems since, not even loose, OH my 850 has the same fix in also, and I have driven many miles on this repair.

Comment

I know this is an old post but i repaired the broken post on a honda carb i'm working on, i drilled a 1/16" (.062) hole in the carb body (perpendicular to the body) and drilled a companion hole in the broken post took a .070 brass rod chucked it up in a cordless drill and lathed it down with a file .005 thou so it was an interference fit (.003), tapped it into the carb base and tapped the broken post over it. the brass rod allows you to tweek the post if necessary until its perpendicular to the carb body, its tight so no adhesive was required. no measuring other than drill diameter and repair pin dia, lenght determined by both depths in body and post, and cut with diagonal pliers and the ends rounded on my "lathe" with a file.
              I can post pics if you like.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
              X