Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Think I Found My Oil Leak :( - FIXED!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Think I Found My Oil Leak :( - FIXED!!!

I cleaned up the whole bottom of the engine nice and dry last night. The frame and stands, everything. No oil left. I went for about a 15 mile burn and was admittedly running it very hard. I wanted to both test my carb setup and also get this thing to squirt some oil so I could find the source of the blasted drip drip drip when it is hot. Once cold it stops leaking.

I think I found it. It looks like the oil is coming out of the front counter sprocket output shaft bearing/seal?

What do to with that? This is a case splitter isn't it? Or is there some life saving way to fix or even band aid this for now without splitting the cases?

If I must split the cases to fix it, I want to wait until after the southern rally to do it. Do you guys think that I need to worry about it before then? It isn't leaking a lot. It's just annoying. I might have to put a little bit of oil in the bike like once every two weeks or so so it isn't a lot. It just drips for a bit when I part it while hot. Once it cools down the leaking stops.

Lay it on me, I can handle anything at this point

-=[Edited to remove stupidity]=-

Let's see..

quart of oil in one hand, splitting the cases and spending all that time and money in the other.

I think feeding it some oil is a bit easier at this point.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Parked on the side or center stand?

A little bathroom caulk may fix it......
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
        Parked on the side or center stand?

A little bathroom caulk may fix it......

I always park on the center stand Keith. I very seldom use a side stand so it is leaking with the bike upright.

Comment

I'm lost :? are you talking crankshaft or output shaft.

You can alway put a beed of sealant around the outside edge of the seal if it's leaking there. If it's leaking around the rotating shaft then the seal should be replaced. It' doable but a RPITA.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
            I'm lost :? are you talking crankshaft or output shaft.

You can alway put a beed of sealant around the outside edge of the seal if it's leaking there. If it's leaking around the rotating shaft then the seal should be replaced. It' doable but a RPITA.
            Sorry jake, not crank, output sharft. Duh

I can fix it without spliting the cases then?

Comment

You sure it's not leaking from the tensioner or the head or base gasket? There is a little port on my 1100's that leads to the sprocket cavity. I assume it is there as a drain so leaking oil or even rain water doesn't puddle up on top of the gear case.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                You sure it's not leaking from the tensioner or the head or base gasket? There is a little port on my 1100's that leads to the sprocket cavity. I assume it is there as a drain so leaking oil or even rain water doesn't puddle up on top of the gear case.
                Very sure.

So does anyone know, can I replace the seal without having to split the cases? Surely there is one of you guys who have replaced one of these seals and knows this?

The reason I am asking is it will affect if I order parts now and do it or wait until later. And being that time is an issue that is why I need to know the answer to that question so bad.

Anyone who knows, please fill me in man

Thx guys.

Comment

Well I am shocked. No one on the GSR knew the answer to this one.
                  Or the ones who did just didn't see the thread yet. At any cost, Hoom get's to share info in return for once

Very sweet. This makes me feel good, trust me, it is rare I get to teach others something about motorcycles

Here you go guys. The seal can easily be replaced WITHOUT spliting the cases. It looks to be a straight forward job and one that I can handle.

I also found out what caused the leak.

WARNING!!! The follow part of the post is a rant and you may read but stay clear of the heat!!!

I told you guys before in other threads that I though whoever worked on this bike before me was a monkey. I was close.

They are absolute morons! They put the dang counter sprocket on BACKWARDS!!! That ain?t no typo. The idiots put it on so that the sprockets vibration damper plate screws were facing in towards the engine!!! :x This also spaces it wrong as the inner plate acts like a washer while the outer plate actually allowed the collar to fit through it onto the sprocket itself.

It gets worse, much worse! The screws to the plates came loose! :x Most likely due to vibrations from not being in alignment anymore. They worked their way out and one of them wore off enough to come completely out and was having itself a meal of shaft seal! 8O :twisted: :x :twisted: :twisted:

It ate away the entire rubber part of the seal and all that is left holding oil in the transmission is the metal plate part of it.

Here is a picture of the buffoonery. Look at the screw that came out. It doesn?t even look like a screw anymore it is so warn. It looks like a rivet. It was in there spinning around tearing things up. Thank God there was no case damage and it is repairable by only replacing the seal.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwCJAnYcXycmyokJKmp9LXiy4OYxjaOYvrpm6zYRkHIvzhF9k *aR2V9J8CQc1WXp01vT!ptQVk7QzhK2MWbu7DTGWcytYsmBNIn Y!ff6lpik2M1VXx!WSQoDtxD62kv8/CounterSprocketPlate.jpg[/img]

This is the kind of stuff that REALLY makes me want to put my foot in someone?s @ss!!! :x

I seriously need to take a break. I am so pi$$ed off right now I could deck someone for real.

Some people should not be allowed to touch a wrench.

Rant over.

Comment

Think pleasant thoughts....

Watching dirty movies seems to work for some people.

Comment

Oh my god, I had to look at the picture twice to figure out what screw you were talking about! It looked like a bunch of weld piled up there!

Man, I hope the previous owner didn't have to mess with any of the engine internals...
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Mark, those appear to be bullets in the background. What are you planning?

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                          Mark, those appear to be bullets in the background. What are you planning?
                          Duane, I assure you, if that was what I had in mind the 22 would not be what I would use for the job :twisted: :x :roll:

No I am not murderous. But I am glad I DO NOT know who worked on this bike.

Comment

Take a deep breath.....blow it out slowly....there ya go.

Thanks for the oil seal tip.

Comment

JEsus!!! that's insane!!!
                              8O
                              Man, you were right! Whoever had the bike before you was a real idiot!!

Yikes, glad you got it figured out and taken care of easily and cheaply.

Comment

Working...
                              X