VM26 pilot screws broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM26 pilot screws broken

I took apart my second set of carbs for cleaning and noticed that the pilot screws (the ones under the carbs by the float bowls) were bent and had lost their sharp point. I can see the tips broken off up in the little seat holes. Is there a way to get them out? Will the carbs still function with them stuck in there? I blew carb cleaner into the hole, and it blew through to the pilot jet. Is there another little passage that is being blocked?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Re: VM26 pilot screws broken

Originally posted by renobruce
    I took apart my second set of carbs for cleaning and noticed that the pilot screws (the ones under the carbs by the float bowls) were bent and had lost their sharp point. I can see the tips broken off up in the little seat holes. Is there a way to get them out? Will the carbs still function with them stuck in there? I blew carb cleaner into the hole, and it blew through to the pilot jet. Is there another little passage that is being blocked?
    On your carbs, for the pilot circuit, there are two small holes leading into the carb throat. One is regulated by the pilot jet. The other is regulated by the pilot fuel screw. The pilot fuel screw is for fine tuning the mixture. If the hole is plugged by a broken tip, you'll run leaner at lower throttle positions and warm ups will be slower. Some people say they've removed a broken tip. I suspect the hole is damaged in most cases though, leading to richness problems. Without the sharp tip, the screw is useless too, even if you get the tip out of the body. Don't try a larger pilot jet either as compensation. It will cause worse problems.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I could not get my 1000S to run right with 2 broken off pilot screws, ended up getting another set of carbs.

Comment

And while were on the subject, does anyone know where we can order these little needle point pilot screws? I got two from a forum member but I need two more yet so that I can rebuild my spare set of carbs.

Where to get them?

Comment

Try www.motorcyclecarbs.com or generic carb kits on Ebay
          I have use a blunt safty pin to push the broken tip back out

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            Thx Lynn.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
              Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              Thx Lynn.

I sent an e-mail to see if they have the pilot screws.... they don't show them listed in their parts area.

I will attempt the safety pin to see if I can get the tips out..I'll let you know. BTW... nice air box, Hoomgar!!
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Pricey!!!, but they have them:

Sir:
                Item cost is $14.95 each plus S/H.
                We accept orders and credit card payment on the phone (call 770.974.8851 M-F, 10-6 ET) or money order.

Sales and Service
                Motorcyclecarbs.com Inc.
                4292 Country Garden Walk NW
                Kennesaw, Ga 30152

Phone (770) 974.8851
                Fax (770) 974.8852
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I have some from a spare set of junked carbs, if you get desperate

Comment

Sir:
                    We accept orders and credit card payment on the phone (call 770.974.8851 M-F, 10-6 ET) or money order.

Sales and Service
                    Motorcyclecarbs.com Inc.
                    Kennesaw, Ga 30152

Phone (770) 974.8851
                    Fax (770) 974.8852
                    I would see if the tips come out without carb damage before ordering. You may have to get some used carbs and hopefully the screws would be good in that set.
                    If you do order screws, I would contact them and verify the screw length.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

BTW... nice air box, Hoomgar!!
                      What's that mean? :?

Comment

Sir:

Sales and Service
                        Motorcyclecarbs.com Inc.
                        Kennesaw, Ga 30152

Phone (770) 974.8851
                        Fax (770) 974.8852
                        I got the same email from the one I sent them. 15 a pop! Wow!
                        I believe saaz is offering thos to you. if you don't want them I'll take them. saaz, if he declines please let me know what you need for them.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                          BTW... nice air box, Hoomgar!!
                          What's that mean? :?

Keith, I won a complete airbox on eBay. He had told me about it so he saw me win it. Thx again Bruce

Comment

Hey Bruce, here you go buddy

Read this! --> http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=38306

Comment

YOU ARE THE MAN!! THANKS A BUNCH!!
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X