Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat

Looking to recover my seat pan including foam. I've been looking at the Travelcade brand. Anyone have any suggestions that have done this. I have a wife who likes to ride with me so a double bucket would be nice. If you can I would like to know where you purchased it, price and ease of installing. I have a 1980 GS1100L
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

I purchased mine from Dennis Kirk (travelcade cover), I have a 1981 GS750E. Installation was extrememly easy, actually easier then I expected. They recommend that you spray an adhesive on the foam before applying and that helped to keep the cover centered while stretching the cover over the foam. My seat pan has little chisle points that extend out from the seat that I had to push through the fabric and then flatten down. All in all it was super easy and it looks great.

Scud

Comment

When you say 'including foam', do you mean that you need to replace the foam?

I have replaced the covers (over original foam) of two bikes with the Travecade cover, although both were G models (pics on webpage) with flater seats not the stepped seat on your L. Was fairley easy, only thing close to hard was keeping it straight (the adhesive sounds like a good idea), and judging how tight to pull it. I found that while trying to push the material over the metal spikes it was too easy to loose track of where/how to center the material and/or how tight to pull the material. So I found it better to position the material, hold materail up against the metal spike, then start a hole in materail by poking thru the material with a razor knife, then put materail over the metal spike.
      Last edited by Redman; 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

This is more for comfort than cosmetic. I like to ride to the coast (thru mountains and desert) and my ass gets sore as with my wife. We got so desperate on one trip we went to a medical store and bought gel pads. It appears the saddlemans(travelcade) LTD version comes with the foam. Does this mean a foam layer between your foam?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

May I encourage you to look at Sargent Cycle products in Florida? I love my seat cover, it is super nice.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The Saddleman does seem to offer a small layer of foam that goes over the seat foam, but I don't think you'll find much difference as far as support or long-distance comfort.

Sargent can completely rebuild with new foam on the seat pan, including special-density foam:

Sargent Cycle Products provides high-quality aftermarket motorcycle seats and accessories to create the ideal riding experience.

Serious long-distance riders rave about Russell Day-Long saddles, though they're more expensive:

Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2006, 12:35 AM.

Comment

The travelcade dbl bucket I bought for my 850came with the foam & cover already moulded together Just install on your seat pan

Comment

Seat

Here it is, my brand new Travelcade seat cover. It also included the foam so I just attached it to my pan. My wife even helped and we didn't cuss each other out, thats how easy it was. Thanks SqDancerLynn1 and everyone who had great input!

Comment

Working...
                X