78-79 GS1000 auto to manual turn signal fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78-79 GS1000 auto to manual turn signal fix

I just finished converting my auto cancel turn sigs to manual. My black box went out, so I bought a used left hand switch from an 80 GS750 with manual cancel (got it for a dollar plus shipping on ebay)\\/ You can use any manual cancel switch from 78 through 80. The wires and plug from the "new" switch will match all of the wires and plug going to the wire harness. EXCEPT the light blue wire from the switch has no wire to plug into in the harness. Cut the light blue wire off at the plug, put a connector on it, and run new wire from it to the light blue wire on the existing flasher. The light blue wire on the flasher goes to the black box. Cut if off between the black box and flasher and butt connect it to the new wire. The orange/green wire on the other side of the flasher can be left alone. It supplies power. Then disconnect the big plug coming from the black box. Leave the small 4-pin plug connected. Cut the four wires off between the plug and black box. Connect the black to the blue/black wire and the green to the green/black wire. Remove the black box and throw it away. Done. Make sure you use a connector between the new wire and light blue wire up where the switch connects to the wire harness. That way you can unplug the connector for the switch and the connector for the light blue wire and be able to remove the switch easily if needed. I'm using aftermarket short stalks, so I also had to use a new flasher. I bought an automotive one for 3 bucks (the silver round one). I used a wire tie to tie it to the hook for the old flasher. Looks good.

Easy job. It took about 30 mins.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

I have done something simillar to my 850 years ago, I used an older 77? switch & had to rewire it

Comment

Working...
    X