Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D 404 tires ????

So what do you think --??

Looking to replace my old ones come winter.

IMHO:

Dunlop 404: Very sticky, great feel, fairly cheap, look good, don't last long. I got less than 3,600 hard miles out of a set on my GS850. They got pretty badly scalloped and didn't feel very good before I replaced them.

Dunlop's 491 lasts just about forever and sticks pretty well. Not much feel -- they're pretty stiff. And they're expensive. I got 12,000 miles out of my set, and could have gotten a couple thousand more if I wanted to push it. They seemed to wear more gracefully -- no drastic scalloping.

My GS850 is currently wearing Pirelli Sport Demons -- they're VERY sticky, and have FANTASTIC feel. Others have gotten 5,000 to 6,000 miles out of theirs, and with this kind of grip and feedback, I'll be happy to replace them more often. About the same cost as the Dunlop 491.

Cheng Shin HiMax are a good value if funds are a concern. Grippy and long-lasting for the money.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

What BW Said! I put a new set of D404s on My 850 this spring. I'm a little over 3000 Miles now and the Rear is Just about Gone. I LOVE the
      Stick but I Would Like a Little More Wear.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

If you want to stay with Dunlop, try the GT501's.
        Still sticky, but decent mileage.
        Double the 404 mileage.

And aren't the 404's made for Harleys?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

401s are the Harley tires.

I've had 404s on every bike I've owned except my last (Put on Chen Shin Himax instead) and I think they are a great value. I can't comment on wear because I like to fix up bikes and then I usually sell them; I think the most I've put on a set is 3,000 miles, but all together I've probably put 8 or 9k on D404s. I am looking for a set for my 550, and I think iMotorcycle is the best deal right now, but tires unlimited has always given me great service. I found that the Chen Shin Himax has basically the same performance and you can save $10-15 a set. But, the D404s are made here in Western NY as far as I know, and I have a friend that works at that factory. Good enough reason for me.

Comment

The Dunlop 501s are excellent tires, but the range of sizes is somewhat limited. They might not be available in the sizes many GS models need.

Motorcycle tires seem to fall into the "economy" and "premium" price categories -- Cheng Shins are roughly $120 - $130 a set (internet pricing for tires delivered - you mount them), Dunlop 404s are a few bucks more, and pretty much everything else is around $190 - $200 a set, including Dunlop 491 and 501, Pirelli Sport Demons, and Bridgestone BT45s. Bridgestone's S11 might be a few bucks less.

There are also good choices from Avon, Michelin, Continental, and most expensive of all (and well worth the extra $20 - $40, according to many) are Metzelers. (Prices in your local shop will likely be significantly higher, and mounting can easily add another $60 - $100.)

Keep in mind that any of these tires, including the Cheng Shin HiMax, have far, far more grip than the crappy Mag Mopus skins available when our bikes were built. This is one area where you really can't go that far wrong.

They do all have slightly different feel and different grip/wear characteristics, so it can be tough to make a choice.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Whoops, didn't read above post carefully enough.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2006, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                The Dunlop 404s are a few bucks more, and pretty much everything else is around $190 - $200 a set, including Dunlop 491 and 501, Pirelli Sport Demons, and Bridgestone BT45s. Bridgestone's S11 might be a few bucks less.

There are also good choices from Avon, Michelin, Continental, and most expensive of all (and well worth the extra $20 - $40, according to many) are Metzelers.

They do all have slightly different feel and different grip/wear characteristics, so it can be tough to make a choice.
                In terms of grip and handling the Pirelli Sport Demons out performs the Metzelers..I have just made this switch and though I did'nt find anything to complain about the Metz 55 Metronic, the Pirelli takes performance to a whole new level IMHO....maybe its because of a softer compound rubber, or the contour of the tire (probably both!). The Metz probably has twice the life than can be expected of the Pirelli's though (according to other Sport Demon users), so from a $$$ standpoint they may ultimately be a better value (esp. when you factor in the price of mounting/balancing the softer tires 2X for every 1 change of longer lasting tires).

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Last I checked, Dunlop didn't make the 404's or Pirelli the Sport Demons in the sizes that I needed for my 750 - it's that &$^#@ 16" front.

What sizes do you guys run, just so I have more reason to hate you liter-ridin' bastards?

-Q!

(Edit - just found that the D404's don't come in a front size narrow enough for my rim, but the Pirellis do come in my sizes now - both makes available here: http://www.mawonline.com/default.htm )
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2006, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                    In terms of grip and handling the Pirelli Sport Demons out performs the Metzelers..I have just made this switch and though I did'nt find anything to complain about the Metz 55 Metronic, the Pirelli takes performance to a whole new level IMHO....maybe its because of a softer compound rubber, or the contour of the tire (probably both!). The Metz probably has twice the life than can be expected of the Pirelli's though (according to other Sport Demon users), so from a $$$ standpoint they may ultimately be a better value (esp. when you factor in the price of mounting/balancing the softer tires 2X for every 1 change of longer lasting tires).

Tony.
                    I agree the Pirellis take performance to a new level. I pretty much had the handling dialed in anyway, but with the Sport Demons on... holy moley!

I mount and balance my own tires, and my Pirellis were $192 delivered from http://swmototires.com . Even if they don't last as long as others, I'll happily change them more often for this level of control and feel. A couple of the guys with similar aggressive riding styles have been getting an honest 5,000 to 6,000 miles, so they're certainly not horrible.

As a side note, the front tire took only 3.5 grams (half of a 1/2 ounce weight) to balance, and the rear took a whole 1/2 oz. weight. That's quality control, folks...
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

I have only run about 200 miles with the Pirelli so far (the bike will be put away soon for winter)....It would be difficult running anything else after trying these I think . I would be totally satisfied to get 6000 miles on them....thats pretty much my average mileage per season. FWIW, the Metz's too require very little balancing when mounted correctly....a lot of times none, according to the guy who installed mine.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

tyres

Guys,
                        For a change look at or try a set of B-stones S21s dual compound tyre, ww or bw available....some of the best grip I have tried in a long time.....good prices too!
                        Rodm850g

Comment

i bought a set from dennis kiek.com in the catalog they were listed as gbc street sharks but when they showed up they were sakura street sharks.they have awesome grip.i am using a set on my fz750 sport bike and they stick very well and i am getting good wear from them.i now have about 2000 miles on them and they look almost new.so you might try going to www.denniskirk.com and see if they have a set that will fit your gs.good luck and have a great day.

Comment

I bought my D404's from ronayers.com as they had the best price when I was looking. I didn't want to go with Cheng Shins as I was aprehensive about the quality.
                            First, I love my D404's I ride moderately most of the time with occasional peg scraping. I have put over 5k miles on them this year, and the front still looks good, and the back will probably hold out till next summer. As far as grippiness goes, I can feel the back end squirming around a little on those peg scraping days.
                            Second. After having installed the Dunlops on my 850, I bought the wife a Virago 250 which comes stock with Cheng Shins. I was worried about this, but no longer am as it will stick just fine while scraping the pegs. This isn't really a fair comparison however as it weighs so much less than my 850. When it is time to replace them, I'll most likely buy the same.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have D404's on one bike - good value for money - grippy tires. I've only 3500 miles so far, but wear looks good.

My other bike has Michellins on - I dont like the feel of them - just feels unsettled

Comment

Working...
                              X