The Pacific Coast Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pacific Coast Highway

California Highway 1 is world renowned for majestic beauty. Snaking along the coast, literally cliff hugging in some places, this road is motorcycle heaven.

I road it north from San Luis Obispo to Santa Cruz. There are also other stretches further south, and also north that I hope someday to ride. The run I made was 135 miles long with much to see and do.

Beware. This is not a road for the timid, or novice rider. It was very challenging, with ever changing road conditions. There are places where sand has blown onto the road, lots of falling rock and gravel. The challenging ride is made even more so because it's so easy to get distracted. The views are fantastic. I advise you to pay attention to the road. Pull off at the many vista stops to admire the scenery.

I made the trip in late October, so there were not a lot of tourists. If you go in mid-summer, expect more cars. It will be warmer in the summertime, too (duh). With more daylight time to enjoy the trip. Plan on a full day to make the whole run, as there is so much to do.

One last warning. Only two places to get gas that I know of. Big Sur has a few gas stations, and Gorda has a pitstop. It is very expensive! I paid $4.99 a gallon for premium at Gorda. Fill up before you make the run.

The Hearst Castle is a must see. Plan for a long stop here. You will take a bus tour up to the castle. The tour itself is about 1 1/2 hours. But if you've been riding for miles, this is a perfect chance to rest your buns.

If you like camping, Big Sur is the place. Watch out for old hippies (nothing wrong with old hippies...just a lot of them here). It's so beautiful here. Like a lost world.

Places of interest. Too many to describe them all. Gorda. Nice gardens. Climb down the cliffside, if you're brave. Good chow here.

Morro Bay & Morro Rock was at the start of my run. High class town. All Volvo's, Mercedes, BMW's. Come to think of it...it was the same at Carmel on the other end of my run. I wonder if that is significant?

Many trails to hike. Check the map before you leave. Plan ahead.

Vista stops all along the way. And the friendliest critters I have ever seen. Squirrels will run right up to you, look you in the eye as if to say, "H'lo, whatca got for me?" They'll eat right outa your hand. Gulls, sea lions, whales off the coast.

Want some pics? Here ya go:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I did san fran to redwood park in a conversion van about 4 years ago. incredible scenery. the twistiest twisties are just north of san fran, (turn left after the golden gate) although I'm not sure if this actually on hwy1 or a side road.

I pushed the van to its limits. very cool road. there was a river that flowed into the ocean about 1 day north of SF, and a great place to camp under the stars at a beach at this point free and awesome.

maybe I the west coast and I have to get reacquainted.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I rode the coast from Victoria, BC, twenty two years ago in Sept. on a loaded up 18 speed touring bicycle when I transferred from a USNavy ship I was on to school duty in San Diego, CA. AWESOME is all I've got to say for it. The Coastal Redwoods and Big Sur later on my bike couldn't be beat. There were even two motorcycle riders headed north on 1 when I was going south through Big Sur that gave me the 2 wheels wave! I'd like to do it again someday on my GS! My wife likes to ride pillion on mountain roads and twisty roads, so I guess I'll have to bring her along too.....
      :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
        If you like camping, Big Sur is the place. Watch out for old hippies (nothing wrong with old hippies...just a lot of them here). It's so beautiful here. Like a lost world.
        Must be how the hippies got stuck there......

Would love to ride the PCH one day, though! Thanks for the dream - it's dreary here so a little sunshine or thoughts of sunshine sure do help! :-D

Comment

Great article Tom. I've been there manytime but never on a bike. Shame on me.

Comment

yes...highway 1 is truly a beautiful road. this summer i took a couple trips on it with my 450 and camped along the way. on my first trip i rode out to the sonoma coast from sacramento and then up to mendocino county. on the second trip i rode out to san fran and then down highway 1 thru santa cruz, monterey and san luis obispo. both trips were great although i think the scenery was prettier going north and the people were fewer and friendlier. one of my favorite things about highway 1 is that there are faster roads you can take (like 101) so anyone travelling 1 is not in a hurry and i have no trouble keeping up on my 450. theres lots of friendly motorcyclists out there too so you never feel lonely even if travelling solo.

Comment

Originally posted by swhomrig View Post
              yes...highway 1 is truly a beautiful road. this summer i took a couple trips on it with my 450 and camped along the way. on my first trip i rode out to the sonoma coast from sacramento and then up to mendocino county. on the second trip i rode out to san fran and then down highway 1 thru santa cruz, monterey and san luis obispo. both trips were great although i think the scenery was prettier going north and the people were fewer and friendlier. one of my favorite things about highway 1 is that there are faster roads you can take (like 101) so anyone travelling 1 is not in a hurry and i have no trouble keeping up on my 450. theres lots of friendly motorcyclists out there too so you never feel lonely even if travelling solo.
              Next year I will take the trip up north. Over the Golden Gate Bridge, out to Stinson Beach, and then all the way up to Leggett. I hope I can convince some GS'ers to make the trip with me.

One of the advantages to the northern route is there are many places where you can jump back off the coast over to 101. So you can plan short trips, and run some nice twisties. The southern route I took is 135 miles long. Once you're on it you're committed, or you turn back. (There is a small side road near Big Sur that comes off the coast toward Fort Hunter Liggett and Lake Nacimiento. I don't know if I'd attempt it.)

Surely though, north or south, The PCH is motorcycle heaven.

Comment

Working...
              X