Northern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern California

This was my favorite ride years ago on my 79 GS1000S. Hope to take it again on my newly aquired 80 GS1000S next spring!!

Take 128 out of Woodland. Go by Lake Berryessa, if its spring and the lake is full stop at the dam overlook and check out the "Morning Glory" spillway. Continue on until you reach Hwy 29 just south of Saint Helena. There is a little place off the Highway, in an old barn with REAL italian imports like pasta, olive oil, herbs, cheese, I think it was called something like the Old Olive Oil Factory but not sure. Go south on 29 until just North of Napa, turn east on Monticello Road which will take you back to Lake Berryessa.

All twisie-turny road except on 29. Terrific scenery from rolling hills, spanish moss covered trees, lakes, creeks, some little wineries in the back country parts, major wineries on 29.

Great way to spend a day riding. Go early to go fast, later in day RV's and boat trailers make it a slow but beautiful ride. You can't lose.

If you can't find it from this give me a holler and we'll do it together.
    1980 GS1000S - Not running now, but just wait
    ....http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/wtsmith_95630/

Originally posted by wtsmith View Post
    This was my favorite ride years ago on my 79 GS1000S. Hope to take it again on my newly aquired 80 GS1000S next spring!!

Take 128 out of Woodland. Go by Lake Berryessa, if its spring and the lake is full stop at the dam overlook and check out the "Morning Glory" spillway. Continue on until you reach Hwy 29 just south of Saint Helena. There is a little place off the Highway, in an old barn with REAL italian imports like pasta, olive oil, herbs, cheese, I think it was called something like the Old Olive Oil Factory but not sure. Go south on 29 until just North of Napa, turn east on Monticello Road which will take you back to Lake Berryessa.

All twisie-turny road except on 29. Terrific scenery from rolling hills, spanish moss covered trees, lakes, creeks, some little wineries in the back country parts, major wineries on 29.

Great way to spend a day riding. Go early to go fast, later in day RV's and boat trailers make it a slow but beautiful ride. You can't lose.

If you can't find it from this give me a holler and we'll do it together.
    Yay! Another NorCal GS'er! Are you on the map?

There's another brother who lurks this site. He's from the Napa area. Can't remember his handle. I bet he knows those roads well.

I actually work up there and am often on the route you describe. In my truck though. I usually take the Silverado trail, which parallels 29 up to Calistoga. I would surely like to hit some of those backroads on two wheels.

On that 128 leg, when you hit the fork at Lake Henessey make a right. That will take you up into Pope Valley. You can swing back toward Lake Berryessa again, or continue on to Middletown and pick up 29. It's much twistier as you head north to Clear Lake.

Lots to see and do in those hills. And the roads will definately wear out the sides of your tires.\\/ I hope we can hit the road together.

Comment

So far all I've done is in the Jamestown, Sonora, and Angels Camp area.
      Great roads beautiful scenery.

Comment

One of my most memorable rides was on 128 in the mid eighties. I took it from the Napa area out to the coast on the way home. I was riding my FZ750 and a buddy was on his RZ500. We came to quite a long stretch of really twisty stuff somewhere between I5 and the coast that was just re-paved. It was about 10:00 pm, we where trying make Fort Bragg that night and it was dark with really black fresh pavement. They did however manage to get the reflective tape down to mark the centerline and with the overhanging canopy of trees it felt just like we were riding through a tunnel in the middle of a video game with the centerline lite up to guide us. Very surreal. Great road!!
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Yes there are some perfect roads for motorcycling back there. One day I went out exploring w/o maps and was pleasantly surprised. I started on Russell Blvd coming out of Davis which turns into 128 on the way to Winters. Heading out west that way is now one of my favorite rides. I'm looking forward to some better weather so I can start riding to the coast on those roads again!

Comment

You are right that ride is fabulous. Made it a few times since being here. I have riden to Napa that way twice. It is great to get lost in the ride and not wish to miss all to seeby flying around curves or reaching top-end all the time. Maybe someday we will cross paths.

Riding is for the Watchful.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's a great ride. If you haven't taken the ride on 121 towards Napa you should. That's a real driver's/rider's road. And just fyi, the little restaurant where 128 and 121 meet is a meeting place for all kinds of riders on Sunday mornings. The parking lot is full of bikes of all types.

Either rate, it's an absolutely great ride and place to hang out for awhile on Sunday mornings. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like getting up early on the weekends. hehe

Comment

Stockton area here

Hello california GS riders. Just picked up a 85 550e, should be ready for me to ride by this weekend. Ill keep watching this post, we should get together and do a ride up to sonora or to the wine country sometime

Comment

Hwy 49 (the Little Dragon) between Coulterville and Mariposa is one of the finest motorcycle roads in California.

It can get a bit dirty after a rain, but (vehicle) traffic is always scarce south of the turn-out. No driveways or crossroads, but no services, too! Beware, though - don't think you're going to work on your lap times if you're unfamiliar with the road - lots of blind turns and unrated hairpins....

For a nice overnighter, take 49S to 41N into Yosemite (they cross near Coarsegold).

After getting more familiar with the motorcycle routes around the valley, you'll discover that the ride out 120/108 to Sonora is one of the most boring routes out there - especially with holiday traffic. Well, unless you're just looking to show off your $35,000 chopper while out bar-hopping with your RUB posse...

-Q!

(Edit - almost forgot.... You haven't been initiated as a rider in the valley until you check out Mines/Del Puerto.... Take Corral Hollow road off of I-5 N (near the 205 interchange) towards Livermore. Turn left onto Mines Rd. - 2 hours later you're in San Jose on the other side of Mt. Hamilton! Stop for a break at the Junction on your way - hordes of bikes on the weekend. Bring a camera and take some shots from the Licke observatory at the top of Hamilton, too... Just take it nice and mellow your first few times out, and plan on taking a few breaks along the route - it'll wear you out pretty quickly, especially in this heat.)
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2007, 07:03 PM.

Comment

highway420 & QuaiChangKane, you guys are killin' me that you haven't joined in on the BIG RALLY IN JULY! We are gonna be cruising all over the Yosemite Area. C'mon fellas! We're right in your back yard!

Hey! Maybe you don't want to camp out Thursday/Friday night. Well how 'bout catching up with us somewhere on Friday. The chuck wagon will have chow ready when we get back to the Valley. Then you guys can head for home when you're ready.

Comment

Man I wish I could. I won't be able to make it for a number of reasons but it sounds like a GREAT trip. What could be better than out riding in some of the most beautiful places on earth on a nice summer day? Maybe a miracle will happen and I can do it but until then remember the old saying ...
                      Wait till next year!
                      1980 GS1000S - Not running now, but just wait
                      ....http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/wtsmith_95630/

Comment

The Pacific Coast Highway!!!!! Woo, Hoo!!!

Comment

Santa Cruz Mountains

I know this is an old thread but I'm a new member!

Since I live near Highway 17 in the south SF bay area I really like the Santa Cruz mountains and here are a few routes I like.

You can take Old Santa Cruz road from the Lexington Reservoir all the way to Santa Cruz. Only problem is you would have to actually be on highway 17 from Los Gatos to the Lexington off ramp, maybe two miles(?)> I used to do these routes with my big scooter and with my wife on the back I tried to stay off the freeway.

On the way back from Santa Cruz (on the reverse route) cross the 17 and get on Summit/Skyline and head onto Highway 35. There is a stretch of VERY tight and twisty one-lane road for about three miles but it’s beautiful and there is a Lama farm there you can stop and take a few pictures and say “Hi”. It will open up and again to 40 MPH posted.

Then take 35 further north past Highway 9 (Saratoga) and stop at Alice’s restaurant and get gas (for your bike!). Continue north on 35 until you get the Half Moon bay and head to the coast. Then take highway 1 south to 84 and back to 35, head south to Page Mill Road, take that down to the 280, and head for home (if I’m rushed for time), or I continue on 35 towards home.

Another great ride but very busy on weekends is Highway 9 and also 236, the later if you don’t mind going slow and checkout out the red woods, it takes you right through Big Basin park and it’s fabulous. On the map it looks like hours of riding but it’s well under an hour. Don’t take the shortcut from 236 to highway 9 on China Grade road because it is in VERY bad shape right now, very steep, dirty and major potholes.

One ride I’ve taken a few times and do not care for is highway 1 from Santa Cruz to highway 84. It’s ALWAYS cold on that long 30-mile road and there and windy. I’ve done it twice and that was enough for me. I really like highway 84 though, so that’s why I’ve tortured myself on that route a couple times!

Also taking Highway 135 off Alum Rock up to Mount Hamilton. This is more of a long-lunch ride for me. I can leave my office near downtown San Jose and ride up there and back in about 90 minutes. The view over San Jose is spectacular. A great way to unwind!

If anyone has any more great ride info in my area please let me know

Thanks,
                          -Bob

Comment

H'lo Bob. I often make the run over to the coast. Ken and I usually take Hecker Pass Road over Mt Madona into Watsonville. Lots of nice wineries to visit in the area. But Hecker Pass is usually clogged with cars. Too bad, as it's a nice road.

That's the big challenge with most of the roads around here. Hey! If you have a "secret" backroad, I want to ride it!

Alum Roc Park is very near my house, and I've made the run over Mt. Hamilton and into Paterson with Ken twice now. I was always reluctant to take this route, as my memories are again loads of 4-wheeler's. But both times we made the trip it was all clear. Watch out for cattle...and uhh, cattle splattle!

Another one of my fav's is Hwy 25 through Hollister & down to the Pinnacles National Monument. Very nice country road with only local traffic. And very little of that. If you want to make a day of it, take Hwy 25 all the way to the end. Make your way to San Lucas, and then back north on the 101. At Greenfield you can make a run to Monterey via the Carmel Valley. A lonely road until you get the Laguna Seca area.

On a recent trip down there this spring Ken & I took a detour at Paicines. This here road heads east. In places it is single lane, and sometimes in poor condition, but you will have it all to yourself. You need to make a left before Panoche. The sign says Mercey Hot Springs. If you make the turn, you'll eventually find yourself at I5. If you miss the turn the road becomes gravel!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                              Another one of my fav's is Hwy 25 through Hollister & down to the Pinnacles National Monument. Very nice country road with only local traffic. And very little of that. If you want to make a day of it, take Hwy 25 all the way to the end. Make your way to San Lucas, and then back north on the 101. At Greenfield you can make a run to Monterey via the Carmel Valley. A lonely road until you get the Laguna Seca area.
                              I have to agree with this one !. I lived in the Salinas valley (just off HWY68) for 3 yrs. I didn't have a bike over there, had to settle for a Mustang convertible, but I always have an eye for good cycling roads. Always felt that there were quite a few around those parts and have it on my mind to get back there and ride a few of them. I think Carmel valley would be high on the list and of course Hwy1 down to Big Sur (and beyond) - would have to put up with traffic on those roads most of the time but even so well worth it.
                              We are due for a visit back in the next couple of years to catch up with friends (our daughter has actually saved up and is on her way for a visit in Jul) and the idea of bringing my GS over has been formulating in my little brain. Have to get it back together and there is probably a pile of rules and regulations to investigate, but reading these posts has really got me thinking.

Anyway hope you enjoy your summer up there in Nor Cal - we just got through the shortest day so I guess it is up hill to summer for us now.
                              Last edited by Bill Alexander; 06-23-2009, 01:58 AM.
                              Bill Alexander
                              New Zealand
                              78 GS1000 - Red
                              02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

Working...
                              X