Cali, 06/07....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cali, 06/07....

My Christmas present and I will be making a journey to Cali....looking for road info...

BEEN ON A FEW on 4 wheels...

sr78 from ramona to jillian, pretty good lots of traffic
    sr243 Banning to idlewild long time ago in an rv, remember switchbacks.

sr74 from i-15 to san jaun capistrano, Nice road.

I went to a few sites and all seemed to steer me to roads but little info.

sr2 from glendale to wrightwood looks interesting on the map..

Will be starting trip in SF, going a little north if there is some worthwhile terrain. Which I am sure there is....

Looking for TIGHT RURAL TWISTIES, the tighter the better, in fact you cannot get too tight. I love switchbacks and other tight turns, and like to be kept interested in between by sweepers.

Trip will be about 7-9 days of riding, and I expect to attempt to ride 300-500 miles a day, using car as a central location for the day...

meaning I want to park car and trailer at a hotel or campground, do 1 or 2 day loops out of location, and move. Probably will choose 3-4 central locations based on locations to roads of interest.

Need to end up in San Diego. To drop OL off at airport, and then I will trailer home.

K

Here's a site you can drool over, might just help you out, too.

Have fun on your ride.

Comment

Where are you coming from?
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        Where are you coming from?
        Near Buffalo NY.

Going directly to SF area, to meet ol at airport then we will ride for the week and I will drop her off in sandiego with her brother for a few days and I will return home.

K

Comment

If you want to ride on the coast the Bay Area is an excellent starting point however there is a lot of traffic right in the Bay Area it is expesive to stay there. I would recomend staying in the Sacramento area. You are 120 miles from the Bay but you are much closer to Tahoe and the Sierra Foothills. You can also go to Napa and up the North coast.

Comment

The Pacific Coast Highway is motorcycle heaven. Either north, or south of the Bay Area. Up north, through Marin & Mendocino counties there are many rural roads that jump over to the coast. Down south, below Monterey the PCH is one long run. About 135 miles down to Morro Bay. I think there is a small road somewhere in Big Sur which will take you off the coast, but I've never been on it. Gas is very expensive once you get past Monterey. There are very few pitstops. Plan ahead. And expect lots of rain. especially up north.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
              The Pacific Coast Highway is motorcycle heaven. Either north, or south of the Bay Area. Up north, through Marin & Mendocino counties there are many rural roads that jump over to the coast. Down south, below Monterey the PCH is one long run. About 135 miles down to Morro Bay. I think there is a small road somewhere in Big Sur which will take you off the coast, but I've never been on it. Gas is very expensive once you get past Monterey. There are very few pitstops. Plan ahead. And expect lots of rain. especially up north.

I have heard PCH was good, But I also think it is more high speed sweeper road than a tighter inland road. If I am wrong correct me?

Plan on spending more time just north of LA, than really far north, will probably not venture more than 100-150 miles north of SF.

I will also be setting up camp outside SF and Riding the Bike into the airport to p/u the OL, as I have spent enough time in Cali, to know the best means of travel is 2-wheels.

Expense is not too worrying, with the car we will be splitting the camping and motel, depending on the weather, camp ground seems like the best way to stage the car, as even if I am not staying at the CG that night the $20 day fee it is a good place to park the car/trailer. I only eat the best when I eat out, so I know what I am in for.

K

Comment

The PCH has several distinct sections. In some areas it's not even along the coast. The stretches of road that do hug the coast are "entertaining"

Looking at a map I can see that way down south, say from Oxnard down to Santa Monica, the road looks like easy sweepers. But I also see several roads that come off the coast that look more challenging. I would think that those roads have a lot of 4 wheel traffic on 'em though. I have heard the run through Topanga Canyon is worthwhile.

On the PCH run I made, I was northbound. From San Luis Obispo the PCH swings back to the coast at Morro Bay. From there it's easy, riding along the beaches, until San Simeon. Then it started to get twisty. The road is at the mercy of the rocky coastline. I think this section was even more challenging because I was distracted by the magnificent views. I do know that there were few chances to pass a car along this stretch. Luckily there were not many tourists in November.

The twisties continued up to about Big Sur. Then the road started to sweep again. Through the redwoods, and farmland. Then eventually back to civilization around Carmel. I stayed on the PCH up to Santa Cruz. But it was a major highway (read congestion) by then.

I have not done the PCH up north of San Francisco. I very much want to. Next spring. I hear it is beautiful. Some sweepers, and some twisties, with lots of small side roads. The Lost Coast it's called. Sounds mysterious.

Sorry for the long narration. I like to write. I hope you have a wonderful trip, whichever roads you ride. If you pass through San Jose, and feel like making a pitstop for a cup of coffee or something, let me know.

Comment

Ok,
                  SR74-Better known as Ortega Hwy is a great road,but due to all the yuppy scum that bought houses in Riverside County and work in south Orange County,this road has gotten very scary. Only enjoyable very early on the weekends,but has a very heavy LEO presence. Also,over its 23 mile length,there are only 2 spots totalling less than a mile that are legal(no double yellow)to pass. Great food at The Lookout on the Lake Elsinore side.
                  Little farther up is Hell's Kitchen,thats basically the Harley hang out,but they have big screen and show MotoGp there during the season.
                  SR2-Better known as Angeles Crest Highway is usually the road most of the bike mags shoot on. Several other roads come off of this one. Heavy LEO presence and usually in 'Zero Tolerance' mode. Indulging in things such as 3mph speeding tickets and fix it tickets for non-DOT stamped braided lines.
                  Not always open all the way through. Usually closed midway at Kratka Ridge as soon as the snow flies and usually opens again in early march.
                  SR243 Banning to Idyllwild is fun. First 10 miles up from Banning the pavement can be a little iffy.
                  Heres one from me,SR39. This starts at PCH in Huntington Beach,runs north through Orange County up into La Habra. 20 years ago I would have recommended that part of the ride ride,but now it only serves as a perfect example of "CALIFORNICATION".
                  But up above La Habra the roads gets interesting and once you get up into the San Gabriel Mountains,its alot of fun. Take the East Fork rd and head east and eventually you'll find Glendora Mountain Rd. Farther east and you'll find the road up to Mount Baldy. Hit Google Earth and you'll see what I mean.
                  One road I like up north is SR36. It runs between Yreka and Red Bluff. I only know the stretch between Mad River and Red Bluff. 100 miles of some of the best,lightly travelled twisties I've ever scene. And only 1 CHiPper patrolling it!
                  PM me when you're in town!

Comment

I drove the truck from Medicino to Comptche and over whats called Orr Springs Road to Ukiah. Also up north of Sacramento along the Feather River. Wished I was on the bike but Im sure CA is like that everywhere. Have a great trip and nice Bandit !
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                    X