Washington State great ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington State great ride

Alot of people, with both cars and bikes know of Mercer Islands amazing ride. Mercer Island is an Island in the middle of Lake Washington, just East of Seattle. This Island has the highest property values in Washington State. (Paul Allen, the other half of microsoft in the early years lives there). Anyway, easy to get to from anywhere and Interstate I-90 runs through it.
    The ride is best if you approach the Island from the Seattle direction on I-90 and get off at the first exit on the Island (West Mercer Way). At the end of the exit ramp, you take a right and keep going. This road goes 7/8ths of the way around the Island with water, mountain and Seattle views that are tremendous.
    The views are great but you really should keep your eye on the road because ther isnt a straight section more than 50 yards long all the way around. It twists and turns nicely going up and down all along the way.
    At mile 9 you run into a succesion of, 180 degree hairpins and blind curves that are mindblowingly fun.
    I take this 12 mile ride 50 times a year and its never dull. I like counter clockwise but I have freinds that swear the other direction is best.
    The speed limit is 25 -30mph all the way around. Thats really as fast as you need to go. Especially the first few times. I usually try to maintain 30-35. At that speed, the ride isnt too scary and its like a rollercoaster. Also easier to decel if the cops show. You do have to watch out for traffic and bicyclists. The best times are after 4pm. Ive found the fewest traffic interuptions at these times.
    If anybody wants to try it out, give me a call and we'll go tear it up!

Mike 425-785-6555 / 83' GS1100E

Sounds like fun !! I lived on Whidbey Isl for a few months and owned a KZ650 at the time but didnt have it with me. Bummer. Also checked out the roads around Everett, Arlington, and into the Cascades. Someday Ill get back your way and either bring a Bike or rent one. Im envious.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Done it a few times myself many years ago on the old Honda 750. If you can't afford to live there, you can at least enjoy the road.

Comment

Hey Mike... Nice write-up on Mercer Island. I live in N.E. Renton and work in Seattle driving I-90 across M.I. all the time. And yeah... the residential arterial that rings around it IS twisty.

Where do you live? I don't get a lot of chances to ride, but love it when I do. Private Message me, and we'll exchange info -- cause I'll take you up on your invite to ride it one of these days. Probably not too great right now, with the weather we've had around here, and all the sand left on the road surfaces.

Look forward to meeting you.

Comment

never ridin a bike on that mercer island route sounds like a good time. this is a great route in the summer http://www.cascadeloop.com/ love the smell of the eastern WA pines in the summer just after you come down off stevens pass
          Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2007, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Try 112 from Port Angeles to Neah Bay...

Nice ride, come back down the coast if you want to.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yes state route 112 is 1 twisty mutha from clallam bay to neah bay and very scenic
              Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

My friend let me on to this thread... once I get my 750 rebuilt and running again *sooner the better* him and I will have to take you up on that offer Mike...sounds like a very nice ride... been driving for long enough and I never heard about it.... wierd

Comment

I was up that way in September (sans bike though) during the Oyster Run on Whidbey Island. It was awesome to watch a couple hundred bikes roll off the ferry at one time. You could hear the bikes starting on the island from Mukilteo as well.

Comment

Washington

Yes, Mercer Island is an amazing ride! Living in Sunnyside with family in Reton and Anacortes I was blessed both as a young man and as a young adult to ride some very beautiful roads.

My favorite in the afternoon ride on the south east side is..take Hwy 241 from Sunnyside to the Silver dollar..this is a fast and twistie road. Hang a right on 24 and head for HWY 240. Take a left on HWY 240 and run for the Columbia River, once over the river take a left on 243 and enjoy the veiw. The road runs next to the river almost all the way to Vantage.

If you are riding Mercer Island and looking for more beauty, head for Mukiteo, take the ferry across and ride Fidaglo Island. With Deception Pass and Heart Lake and the Island is a beautiful ride and the area is full of things to see.

Comment

Hey all you Washington State guys, check out the Meetingplace forum, us PNW GSers are getting rides together on a regular basis. Lots of fun! Help me defend myself against all these crazy Oregonians!

Comment

I live not far from Mercer Island. When I was in college in the early 1970's (yes, I'm OLD)....a group of us would get off work at midnight in the summer and take a lap of the Island before heading home for a beer.

We called it: THE ISLE OF MERCER!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X