Mid Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid Ohio

Anyone know of some decent roads around Urbana?

That motorcycle road website is awesome. However, I don't see any roads around the Urbana area.

I would love to do the dragon tail ride - however it's about 190 miles from where my bike is currently stored.
    Now, the 190 miles isn't an issue when the weather warms up. It's just that I'm jonesing to get a ride in. This saturday should be in the mid 40's. 50% chance of rain. I should be able to get out for a couple of hours. Not 400mile plus round trip...... :-D

Dave,

The problem with Ohio is that it was covered by a glacier in the ice age. As far south as Chillicothe. That left most of state flat and unremarkable. The twisty roads you find are for the most part unimproved and hazardous for much riding over 35 mph.

The exceptions are in the Northeast and Southeast where you're either in Amish Country or Wayne National Forest.

Sorry, but I can't think of much in the way of twisties around Urbana.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      Dave,

The problem with Ohio is that it was covered by a glacier in the ice age. As far south as Chillicothe. That left most of state flat and unremarkable. The twisty roads you find are for the most part unimproved and hazardous for much riding over 35 mph.

The exceptions are in the Northeast and Southeast where you're either in Amish Country or Wayne National Forest.

Sorry, but I can't think of much in the way of twisties around Urbana.

Thanks. That's cool. Actually, when we get a decently warm weekend - I'm planning on heading Southeast - maybe to West Virginia. Miles are not an issue for me. 400+ miles in a day is a good day. So, sounds like I've got some exploring to do....... \\/

Comment

Dave, why don't you just ride down south of Columbus to the Hocking Hills area? Lots of good roads in that vicinity, you can do some real scratchin' on the state routes or if you just want to enjoy the scenery there are plenty of county roads to take in, I don't recommend the really rural ones for jammin', too narrow and too much gravel. I've camped at Old Man's Cave many times on the bike. That campground is open all year btw.

Don't forget to slide on over to Pickerington and take in the AMA's Motorcycle Haul (sic) of Fame Museum, too. :-D

Another good camping spot, but it's further south, is the Mt. Vesuvious Recreation Area of the Wayne NF. This is right up the road from Ironton, OH. Big Harley/Cruiser Rally held there every year btw. Some outstanding roads along the river going up toward Galopolis. Mt. V makes a great base camp.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
          Dave, why don't you just ride down south of Columbus to the Hocking Hills area? Lots of good roads in that vicinity, you can do some real scratchin' on the state routes or if you just want to enjoy the scenery there are plenty of county roads to take in, I don't recommend the really rural ones for jammin', too narrow and too much gravel. I've camped at Old Man's Cave many times on the bike. That campground is open all year btw.

Don't forget to slide on over to Pickerington and take in the AMA's Motorcycle Haul (sic) of Fame Museum, too. :-D

Another good camping spot, but it's further south, is the Mt. Vesuvious Recreation Area of the Wayne NF. This is right up the road from Ironton, OH. Big Harley/Cruiser Rally held there every year btw. Some outstanding roads along the river going up toward Galopolis. Mt. V makes a great base camp.
          Thanks. I will just have to check those places out.
          Hey, do you know of a state owned land south of Columbus that has miles and miles of Dirt Bike trails? I rode there about 12 years ago, but I wasn't driving and I can't remember exactly where it is.

Comment

Wayne National Forest has miles of trails. You have to have a trail use permit. Don't know the particulars, since I'm no off-roader. Also, there used to be a place called Honda Hills, but I don't remember where it was or much else about it.

By the way, sorry about your "lay down". Glad you're OK tho. Probably should have warned you about all the critters on the road in Ohio in the Spring in the country...

Comment

Wayne National Forest has miles of trails. You have to have a trail use permit. Don't know the particulars, since I'm no off-roader. Also, there used to be a place called Honda Hills, but I don't remember where it was or much else about it.

By the way, sorry about your "lay down". Glad you're OK tho. Probably should have warned you about all the critters on the road in Ohio in the Spring in the country...

Thanks. Wayne sounds real familiar. Probably didn't need permits 12 yrs ago.....

As for the critters, My fault. I'm thinking dew, or maybe ice. Lesson Learned. :shock:

Comment

Dave,

Let me know if you make it down the WV way. I live in South Point, OH at least until the end of the summer. Ive got a few good loops in the Huntington area (all on the WV side) but Im always up for riding on the north side of the river too.

Comment

Originally posted by GSstiny View Post
                  Dave,

Let me know if you make it down the WV way. I live in South Point, OH at least until the end of the summer. Ive got a few good loops in the Huntington area (all on the WV side) but Im always up for riding on the north side of the river too.
                  Well, that was going to be my first destination when weather permits. Now, I've got to assess the damage to the ZZR. I
                  don't think it's bad, give me a month - and lets hook up. \\/

Comment

Has there been an Ohio get-together in the past? Will there be one this year? If not, Dave you wanna go for a ride about mid-May or so? I haven't taken my bike down to Hocking Hills yet. It would be educational for me, I'm sure. :roll: And I say that cause I'm not the most proficient rider here... But I can learn!

Comment

Cincinnati Area Rally: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=101143

This year will be the first for this get together.

Comment

Thanks for the link! Looks like a real do-able get together for me.

Comment

Has there been an Ohio get-together in the past? Will there be one this year? If not, Dave you wanna go for a ride about mid-May or so? I haven't taken my bike down to Hocking Hills yet. It would be educational for me, I'm sure. :roll: And I say that cause I'm not the most proficient rider here... But I can learn!
                          I usually get out a couple of weekends a month. 250 to 300 mile jaunts usually. Be glad to hook up.
                          As for proficient, well I surely don't have a lot of confidence right now.... :-D

Comment

I'm looking forward to the Cincy Ralley, this right in my back-yard.

Columbus area may be flat, but SW and S Central OH are great. Plenty of good roads.

I also recomend Athens County.
                            Victor Kolb
                            '80 GS1100L -
                            '85 GS550L -
                            '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                            '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
                            '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
                            '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

If you ever get the urge, hop the border and come to PA. Not a straight flat road to be seen in my neck of the woods!!

Comment

Working...
                              X